rF2 Nissan Skyline @ Willow Springs - Thu 08 Oct 2020

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
2020-10-08 _ Nissan Skyline @ Willow Springs.jpg

Thanks for signing up and for racing guys. :thumbsup:

Game of 2 halves for me... R1 went pretty well, I got a fantastic start. I did my best to look after my tyres and towards the end it seemed to be working - I was catching Stig 2 or 3s per lap. In the end he held me off by 0.15s or something.

R2 was the total opposite. I had so many things go wrong it was crazy. Started when the guy ahead on the grid didn't move when the lights changed and went downhill from there. It ended when I reached over to adjust the coiled cable from my wheel and knocked her out of gear by mistake.... blown engine. :rolleyes:

Oh well, one podium was pretty cool. :D

Sorry to Magnus for the contact on L2 R2. I was never gonna make that stick, so I shoulda backed off. Was gonna let you back past me till I saw you have contact with another car and go off. Didn't think my error was bad enough to wait that long, but on reflection I really should have. Oh well, I got what I deserved in the end. :roflmao:

Well done to Yves for the double win - #thatdidn'ttakkelong. :laugh:

Well done all, see you next week I hope. :thumbsup:

Thanks @Denis Betty for organizing and RD for hosting :)

Qualy: to my surprise :confused: i was able to grab pole.

Race 1: Had a good start and manage to stay in the lead by turn 1 ahead of @Stig Bidstrup , from there we manage to pull a gab on the rest of the field and start having a nice battle. He passed me on lap 5 i think at turn 2 but i got passed him at turn 1 on the next last. Afew laps later he braked a little bit too late for turn 5 and hit me just a little but i manage to avoid spinning and he let me keep first place :thumbsup:. After that i slowly built a gap as he seems to have more tire wear then me and finished the race with a lead of about 2 seconds.

Race 2: This one started not so well, i thought i had time for a quick smoke between the 2 races and when i came back to my rig their was only 9 seconds before the start of the race. In the hurry to get settle for the start i forgot to put the car in first gear which have caused some problem behind (sorry guy's). By turn 1 i was down in 7th place and i knew that i would have to push all race long if i wanted to make some place up. A few laps into the race i was back in 4th place having Stig and Dean (i think) battling for second place infront of me. They both gifted me second place as the came together and spun just before turn 3 (thanks guy's :roflmao:). From there i keeped my head down and started to gain on @Ole Marius Myrvold and with a little help from him i manage to caught him up and pass him at turn 1 whith a few laps to go but since i had to push all race long my tires where very worn so i was unable to pull a gap but i manage to finish in first place just ahead of Ole :).

Even if i'm not a big fan of Willow Spring it was a really fun combo and had two great races, thanks everybody that have joined the event :thumbsup:

@Luca Ciarfella That's not the livery I saw on your car yesterday? That car was mainly red? Also, have you bought the Commander Keen - series on Steam? :)
Loved the screenshot, and it shows the attempt at humor I had on the rear-end of my car as well :)
Would be awesome if you(or someone else) could put it on Discord as well, your screenshots are really nice!

Should I do a race report? Ok, I'll do it.

Practice: For the first since the TCL race at Lakeside in August I actually went on the server pre-race for some practice. However, my G27 decided that I wouldn't be able to. And Logitech are awful with their Gaming Software, so the G29 worked, but not properly (No shifter etc.).Just before 13:37 yesterday I got my Bodnar-cables, so I got to set up my pedals and H-shifter with those. Did 1 lap to check that it all worked and then it was dinner time.
So, in the end I got 7-8 laps of practice before I joined the server on raceday.

Qual: Decided to just keep on driving in a way to save tyres, instead of going all out. Decided that would be more useful for the race.

Race 1: Had a good start and gained some spots. After this it was all a game of saving tyres and keeping position. I was fairly consistent, and were able to save my tyres properly. Gained positions when drivers made mistakes. It was a "tata" to @Daniel R. when he decided to slice between me and @Dean Maković, and it was an "hejdå!" to @Magnus Dahlgren when he failed at at a drift and started to move sand!
Other than that I basically kept myself behind Dean, feeling that I had some more speed, but not really finding a way to pass him without screwing up my tyre strategy.
Near the end of the race I did manage to pass him, but did a mis-shift coming to the start-finish straight and lost the spot again. Tried to push really hard on the last lap to get by him, but wasn't able to do it.
When I crossed the finish-line I had over 40% left on my left side tyres, and the right front were over 60%, so I could've pushed harder, earlier.

Race 2: Again a very good start. P5 to P1 before T1 (Helped by @Yves Larose missing, and @Denis Betty being held up by it).
I was then helped a tiny bit by @max1966i being in 2nd, and being a tiny bit slower than me. So while Malcolm held up @Stig Bidstrup, Dean & Co, I was able to get a little bit of breathing space.
My strategy from R1 was active for R2 as well. Tyre saving, tyre saving and some more tyre saving.
I was by myself for a majority of the race, but then Yves managed to catch me when we closed in on the end of the race. He made a move and I didn't even try to defend. I decided that I would try to keep up with him, learn a bit as he was faster, and hopefully I had been able to take care of my tyres much better.

I think this worked, Yves was never able to pull away, and after a bit over a lap, I started to close in again, even though I didn't really push. I saw that when I got close, I was faster in the corners, and I still didn't put much load through the tyres. I felt like I had an advantage. Did a couple of lookie lookie "moves", to see where I potentially could do it. It was a bit frustrating that it seemed like the exit of T1 was my best spot. Together with the long-long right hander on the top of the hill, that tightens on the exit and heads downhill. But that's not really a place to pass.
I tried a move on the exit of T1, but misjudged slightly. I had quite a bit more pace, but managed to bump Yves instead, I lost speed, and I didn't want to do the move that way either.
At least I knew I now had an advantage, my tyres were still great!
Next lap, I tried again, out of T1, much better speed, I had a clear road ahead of me, going from 3rd gear to 4th aaaand. No. Mis-shift. That was my last chance on a pass, and I messed it up. Had to settle for 2nd.
In hindsight, I could've pushed more, earlier. I still had lots of life left in my tyres.

Cannot complain though. I haven't practiced for ages, I run default setup, and now I had an unfamiliar steering wheel and pedals. I really noticed that the upgraded pedals were more sensitive, and I had to be more precise when shifting. Which is why I had much more mis-shifts than usual!

Anyway.

TL;DR: I was great at saving tyres, I need time to get used to the steering wheel/pedals, I don't practice, I had great fun! Wroom Wroom! and I beat the Swede.

@Luca Ciarfella That's not the livery I saw on your car yesterday? That car was mainly red? Also, have you bought the Commander Keen - series on Steam? :)
Loved the screenshot, and it shows the attempt at humor I had on the rear-end of my car as well :)
Would be awesome if you(or someone else) could put it on Discord as well, your screenshots are really nice!

Should I do a race report? Ok, I'll do it.

Practice: For the first since the TCL race at Lakeside in August I actually went on the server pre-race for some practice. However, my G27 decided that I wouldn't be able to. And Logitech are awful with their Gaming Software, so the G29 worked, but not properly (No shifter etc.).Just before 13:37 yesterday I got my Bodnar-cables, so I got to set up my pedals and H-shifter with those. Did 1 lap to check that it all worked and then it was dinner time.
So, in the end I got 7-8 laps of practice before I joined the server on raceday.

Qual: Decided to just keep on driving in a way to save tyres, instead of going all out. Decided that would be more useful for the race.

Race 1: Had a good start and gained some spots. After this it was all a game of saving tyres and keeping position. I was fairly consistent, and were able to save my tyres properly. Gained positions when drivers made mistakes. It was a "tata" to @Daniel R. when he decided to slice between me and @Dean Maković, and it was an "hejdå!" to @Magnus Dahlgren when he failed at at a drift and started to move sand!
Other than that I basically kept myself behind Dean, feeling that I had some more speed, but not really finding a way to pass him without screwing up my tyre strategy.
Near the end of the race I did manage to pass him, but did a mis-shift coming to the start-finish straight and lost the spot again. Tried to push really hard on the last lap to get by him, but wasn't able to do it.
When I crossed the finish-line I had over 40% left on my left side tyres, and the right front were over 60%, so I could've pushed harder, earlier.

Race 2: Again a very good start. P5 to P1 before T1 (Helped by @Yves Larose missing, and @Denis Betty being held up by it).
I was then helped a tiny bit by @max1966i being in 2nd, and being a tiny bit slower than me. So while Malcolm held up @Stig Bidstrup, Dean & Co, I was able to get a little bit of breathing space.
My strategy from R1 was active for R2 as well. Tyre saving, tyre saving and some more tyre saving.
I was by myself for a majority of the race, but then Yves managed to catch me when we closed in on the end of the race. He made a move and I didn't even try to defend. I decided that I would try to keep up with him, learn a bit as he was faster, and hopefully I had been able to take care of my tyres much better.

I think this worked, Yves was never able to pull away, and after a bit over a lap, I started to close in again, even though I didn't really push. I saw that when I got close, I was faster in the corners, and I still didn't put much load through the tyres. I felt like I had an advantage. Did a couple of lookie lookie "moves", to see where I potentially could do it. It was a bit frustrating that it seemed like the exit of T1 was my best spot. Together with the long-long right hander on the top of the hill, that tightens on the exit and heads downhill. But that's not really a place to pass.
I tried a move on the exit of T1, but misjudged slightly. I had quite a bit more pace, but managed to bump Yves instead, I lost speed, and I didn't want to do the move that way either.
At least I knew I now had an advantage, my tyres were still great!
Next lap, I tried again, out of T1, much better speed, I had a clear road ahead of me, going from 3rd gear to 4th aaaand. No. Mis-shift. That was my last chance on a pass, and I messed it up. Had to settle for 2nd.
In hindsight, I could've pushed more, earlier. I still had lots of life left in my tyres.

Cannot complain though. I haven't practiced for ages, I run default setup, and now I had an unfamiliar steering wheel and pedals. I really noticed that the upgraded pedals were more sensitive, and I had to be more precise when shifting. Which is why I had much more mis-shifts than usual!

Anyway.

TL;DR: I was great at saving tyres, I need time to get used to the steering wheel/pedals, I don't practice, I had great fun! Wroom Wroom! and I beat the Swede.

Tata?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 296 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing