Nissan GT500 Released for rFactor 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Nissan GT500 rFactor 2 Release.jpg

Studio 397 have been rather busy lately developing and releasing their first new build for rFactor 2, and now the studio have dropped a nice little surprise on players just before the jolly fat man in red comes to visit on Sunday - releasing the long awaiting Nissan GT500 from the 2013 Japanese SuperGT Championship!

Previewed as early as 2013, the Nissan GT500 is an extremely impressive piece of technology that went on to great success over in Japan's premier GT series during recent seasons. Weighing in a just 1,100kg and kicking out an awesome 530bhp, the Nissan is a high performance, high technology and high downforce GT race car that perfectly showcases the often underrated SuperGT series over in Japan.

Following seemingly endless years of preview and speculation about this car in rFactor 2, finally Studio 397 have surprised fans of the title by adding the vehicle as a free download for the simulation, available immediately. Featuring four official liveries from the 2013 racing season, the Nissan GT500 can be downloaded via the rFactor 2 Steam Workshop page now.

rF2 Studio 397 Nissan GT500.png

rFactor 2 is available to purchase for PC on Steam now. Recently benefiting from the removal of paid online access, the game is currently 50% off in the Steam Winter Sale.

For further information on the future of rFactor 2, check out the December Development Roadmap post here.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to take part in some of the best League and Club Racing events on the internet. Interact with our vibrant rFactor community in our dedicated rFactor 2 sub forum, download mods for the game or share a setup or two for your favourite cars.

Are you happy to see the release of the GT500 after such a long wait? Does the new momentum of the sim since Studio 397 took over development encourage you as to the future of rFactor 2? Have you tried the car, and has it been worth the wait? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
The cache folder is part of the core install, so when you "validate" it in the Steam Client, it will re-download those actual files. As long as you are unsubscribed from them in the workshop, they won't be installed though (which does save you diskspace, not everything, but about half).
Thank you for the info. I'll leave it alone.

I notice something that maybe you guys will look into during development. But when the sun starts to come up and its still semi dark, the headlights are very weak, to the point it's hard to see. Endurance racing seems tough due to this. Reiza did a fantastic job where the headlights are powerful even when there is a sundown/sunrise (since it seems to be the same engine under the hood?).

Nevertheless. Any improvements you guys do to what is already there will be bonuses. 60's formula on the old tracks have me white knuckle the wheel and focus is 1000% on the driving. :)

As for many others, the winter sale made me to finally purchase rF2. I have tried the demo several times over the years, but was never convinced if it is worth it.

In general, I like the physics and FFB (despite the lack of detailed settings). But some cars have strange handling. For instance Skip Barber spins way too easy and overally is very unstable for a rookie vehicle, imo. I know, to an extent, the real car is purposely designed like it, but still. Clio cup, on the other hand, feels very believable.

Although the game UI is ok-ish, I still installed the one from GSV (Black Edition UI). What is, however, absolutely not ok is HUD and racing UI. No offense, but uhh, what is it 1990? For this reason I have downloaded the WedgeHUD and it's brilliant.

The AI is probably the best I have ever raced in a game. It provides really great racing and the AI behaves very natural.

The game has such a great potential, I just can't understand why ISI decided not to take advantage of it. The game as it is now feels so unpolished and unfinished. The lack of common gaming features like whole series, championships, career or leaderboards would turn this game into the ultimate sim racing title. Hopefully Studio397 are here for the rescue. Fingers crossed and good luck!

Haha.

I in example had cracked iR back in '08 or something, before I subscribed in 2/2009(and continuing). But frak yeah it was useful to try first and then decided buy or not.

Just like I have dl'd(and still do) albums first in 320/flacs and bought them afterwards. What ever you say more about this, I'm not interested. And in general it's not wise to start to throw stones you know...
Not wise at all to brag about doing such illegal things. Not clever either. But hey ho, if you think it's OK that's OK I suppose. :rolleyes: It's still theft though.

The AI is probably the best I have ever raced in a game. It provides really great racing and the AI behaves very natural.
Agreed. I feel the AMS AI is around the same. Feels very alive. Cool to see an AI crash during qualy and then in the race it seems they "learned" and dont do the same mistake. Small bits like that make the AI feel very alive. :)

Some cars feel weird i agree, but so far the good outshines the bad to me personally. FFB and physics feels incredible to me. Test the EVO F1 (60's formula) on old school Spa!!! :confused:
:thumbsup::inlove:

I hope they add rain effect on the windscreen in the future and brighten up the headlights since they are very dim atm. If they sort up some bits this will be superb.

Just to make it VERY clear to EVERYONE:

We here at RaceDepartment hate pirates. The only reason why *youknowwho* wasn't banned right away was because he is using a paid version now. Take it as a x.mas gift.........
So, back on Topic please gentlemen.
Merry christmas.

If the reason they did this is as Marc mentioned above, that seems like a programming error. They could just provide content like a number of other sims do, where you download it all, and if you dont want to use (X) car or :thumbsup: track, you simply delete it from the games install folder and it never re-appears.

If bandwidth is the concern for that... well... it's 2016 and the games install is only ~20 GB. That is not a concern for most of the world.

Edit: it seems your problems were caused by the downtime Steam had few days ago, that explains why you didn't get all the workshop items auto subscribed...

I can assure you it's not a programming error. Since Steam has something called workshop and the ability to subscribe/unsubscribe to individual pieces of content, why not make use of it? I don't understand why it's away from the user experience to have more options than one big install. It's not like downloading from workshop is any slower than a regular download, the content is just split into smaller pieces. Plus rF2 actually provides all workshop packages in a cache as part of the main download the first time you install the game, so technically it doesn't need to go through the workshop at all during first install. Really there is no 100% solution to this that would make everyone happy.

Last edited:
Just done a practice with the GT500 in the dark at Bathurst and i never drove a car in a sim till now with quality lights and a very very good view on a dark circuit , iracing has worse lights on the cars then i have on my bicycle. FFB the best off sims and now also lights
What is your settings? To get so "bright lights" i mean. I have much brighter lights in AMS that lit up the road even when its 4 o'clock and sun is coming up. Tested that in rF2 and the lights did almost nothing and it was super hard to see. Maybe you have your settings different so it would be great if you could share how you get them so bright.

I saw for example with mod main UI you can see more options in graphics and drivers that are not there with standard UI. So maybe you accessed some of that and did some settings? Im not having a dig. I really want to know cause my lights are dim in rF2.

Alex i honest must say that i have to drive other cars to find out how lightning is cuz i was talking about the new nissan 500 i will do some others today. Probably it depends on the mod.
The UI iam using is from enduranceracers there are 2 in workshop i find them very nice

What is your settings? To get so "bright lights" i mean. I have much brighter lights in AMS that lit up the road even when its 4 o'clock and sun is coming up. Tested that in rF2 and the lights did almost nothing and it was super hard to see. Maybe you have your settings different so it would be great if you could share how you get them so bright.
Because the lights in rF2 works more like real life, it won't make huge ligths at daytime like AMS/rF1, etc, but yeah the sunset needs adjustments, it is taking a bit too long for them to start being seen, had a race with time acceleration and the sunset was a pain to see, I know this time of the day usually also sucks IRL but the lights have a bit more effect at least

I can't speak for others but regarding why people are concerned about buying sims for me personally it's definitely not a money issue but rather a personal time, learning curve, etc. issue. Buying a game is something of a commitment to the game whether it is money or, much more expensive, time. For me, rF2 has simply become (again) too darn difficult. The personal cost is just too high for now until S397 sorts it out and tell us how to attain a reasonably trouble-free experience. Obviously, personal choices such as more complex endurance racing, more complex hardware and plugin configurations, etc. are always going to be more complicated but there ought to be some way to use this software or some guidelines for what works and what doesn't. Even a thread or subform here would be nice where people could review or recommend combos and share what settings they used along with setups would be nice to help but as it is I just can't deal right now.

I can't speak for others but regarding why people are concerned about buying sims for me personally it's definitely not a money issue but rather a personal time, learning curve, etc. issue. Buying a game is something of a commitment to the game whether it is money or, much more expensive, time. For me, rF2 has simply become (again) too darn difficult. The personal cost is just too high for now until S397 sorts it out and tell us how to attain a reasonably trouble-free experience. Obviously, personal choices such as more complex endurance racing, more complex hardware and plugin configurations, etc. are always going to be more complicated but there ought to be some way to use this software or some guidelines for what works and what doesn't. Even a thread or subform here would be nice where people could review or recommend combos and share what settings they used along with setups would be nice to help but as it is I just can't deal right now.

i totally cant understand why you call RF2 darn difficult , its one off the most easy to handle sim , hardware and software wise. And about setups thats not something for ISI then or S.397 now you cant expect them to do setups that wud be thousend off diff setups for each car cause mine setup might not work for you or others and vicevers. therefor you need to look here or else http://www.racedepartment.com/forums/rfactor-2-setups.73/

Not had much chance to spend time with rF2 or any of the others I own... With all the latest updates, rF2 feels like a bit of a stranger ATM, and I'm struggling to find the love I had a month or so back... Might just be a case of the FFB needs setting to default and tweaking again. Really struggling with the stock cars and the USF2000 :(

The Nissan feels OK, but audio sounds digitised within the cockpit. Sounds much better on external cameras and replays... a real screamer :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back