Nissan aim to trademark Eau Rouge

Chris

Premium
Nissan Eau Rouge.jpg

Nissan to apply for trademark of "Eau Rouge" as Spa aims to counter the move.

Nissan's luxury division of production cars, Infiniti, has submitted a trademark application for the words "Eau Rouge" to be part of the model name of their new expensive luxury prototype, the Q50. Eau Rouge also happens to be arguably the most iconic corner situated on one of the most iconic race tracks in all of motor sport, with it's impressive undulations and risks associated with it, the words 'Eau Rouge' are synonymous with all petrol heads.

The Belgian circuit's board of directors has stated they will challenge the trademark application by Nissan, with the director of the circuit, Pierre-Alain Thibaut stating that they consider the move by Nissan the very "opposite of fair play", and that they [Nissan] are essentially wanting to "steal the brand from the circuit", in a bid to commercialize their 560bhp vehicle and raise it's perceived value by legally associating it with the prestigious corner. Johan de Nysschen, the president of Infiniti, has even admitted in a lengthy interview for Motor Trend that they are pushing the usage of the words "Eau Rouge" for reasons of commercialization.

Whether or not the Spa-Francorchamps circuit board of directors will succeed in the preservation of their race track from an over-commercialized world remains to be seen.

Pretty low move by Nissan, they hardly have much to do with Belgium and Spa-Francorchamps (i assume). They know what they are doing and hopefully someone puts an end to it

I agree with the SPA officials. Since I drive a nissan, I am going to go out and take a large mallet to it as a sign of protest....

Well, I changed my mind, but I still side with the belgians on this.

As an Infiniti G37 owner, I love the Q50 and the Q50 Eau Rouge, but they don't really have any right to trademark that name. To be quite honest, they never should have named that car Eau Rouge anyway, I thought that was stupid.

Last edited:
I thought you couldn't trademark the names geographical landmarks.
Cause if you can, then what would stop me from registering a "Mount Everest" trademark? Just imagine all those tourist agencies having to pay a fee to use the trademark name or rename the mountain to something else... :poop:

Cause if you can, then what would stop me from registering a "Mount Everest" trademark? Just imagine all those tourist agencies having to pay a fee to use the trademark name or rename the mountain to something else... :poop:
The Infiniti Mount Everest "Pride comes before the biggest drop on earth" :D

Since when were circuit corner names geographical landmarks? :cool:

It's damn offensive of Nissan or any other car company to try trademarking the name of that...or any other corner on that track.
Where does this lunacy end?
Spa has been there for too many years to allow this.
This would be like Sylvester Stallone coming to me and saying I couldn't use Rocky anymore...despite the fact that it's my legal name and has been long before any of his movies were even conceived.

Very strange. It isn't even a good name for a car. I guess car companies are running out of ideas for names. They should just call it Bob instead. It would make about as much sense.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 360 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 501 39.0%