Niki Lauda has emergency lung transplant

I met Niki Lauda in person at a 'Lauda Air' gathering in Melbourne in 1995. He was most gracious and readily autographed a couple of books for me, later chatting to me (a mere mortal) as we both admired an impeccable restoration of a Porsche 356 Carrera lightweight.
I do hope he recovers from this surgery and enjoys his remaining years.
While I'm not always in agreement with his remarks these days I have the greatest respect for Niki Lauda as a man.

Slightly off topic, are transplant lungs readily available these days?
Stay strong Niki!
All the best to Niki, he's a tough guy for sure. 2 kidney transplants among other issues over the years. But how the hell do you transplant a lung. I dont know what type of infection he had but I had a serious infection about 6 years ago and they had to open the lung and physically clean it out layer by layer but I cant imagine you could completely do a transplant? How the heck does that work?

But Niki was from the era of real men racing not like today were we have mostly just spoiled brats.
Hope he stays around a bit longer.

If after having gone thru what he has, he has earned the respect he has today, but I do find it hard to believe that the lung transplant doesn't have anything to do with what happened in 76.
It is amazing what can be transplanted today.

i suppose the main problem with the transplant is - as usual - waiting for a donor who fits the bill. it's amazing what can be done, fingers crossed at 54 i still have all the basic stuff in good working order, here's hoping it will stay that way a while longer. wishing all the best to all RD guys out there who are in hospital atm, get well soon together with niki!

i suppose the main problem with the transplant is - as usual - waiting for a donor who fits the bill. it's amazing what can be done, fingers crossed at 54 i still have all the basic stuff in good working order, here's hoping it will stay that way a while longer. wishing all the best to all RD guys out there who are in hospital atm, get well soon together with niki!
Actually there is another problem in transplants surgeries , the result of the surgery won't be clear until some months after the surgery , sometimes even with high dose of Immunosuppressive drugs there is a chance of an organ rejection , also during the time of using those drugs , the body will be very weak because the immune system is not doing its job , and in this situation even a disease like common cold could be lethal.
I don't even like to think about those chances , i know he is a fighter and will be ok , i love to see him at the paddock again, healthy with his smile .
I'll be praying for him to have a great recovery , and also it's an honor to driving his cars ,the Ferrari and the McLaren in f1 2018 while i can watch him in the paddock

It seems they have started physiotherapy for niki.
also the original Ronaldo (brazilian ronaldo lol ) got lung infection at ibiza too :cautious:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 153 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 289 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 419 39.8%