Nigel Mansell

Nigel Mansell was my boyhood hero. He always put in such passion and energy into his racing. Where Prost came across as the calm and cool professor driving within himself and letting the car do the work, Mansell seemed the opposite. He had near misses with the championship which was excrutiating to watch as an Englishman.... I can still hear Murray Walker commentating now as Mansell's tyre burst or his fuel ran out.
In the end, however, he got his rewards in one f1 season of complete domination and then his Indie car rookie season. Lacking charisma and still a little cocky today, I'm sure few would deny that he was one of the greats and made the sport all the better with Senna, Prost and Schumacher. Part of a golden era, I'm also sure few would begrudge him the f1 title that he finally achieved. Long live the tash. Long live the King. Long live the King of tashes !

Strangely nobody opened a thread yet to discuss the moustache.

After Tristan's retro write up on Mansell its time to give him a place here as well

This thread is useless without @Dave Stephenson :D :p

Also I'd like to offer up this link to my recently acquired and new favourite coffee recepticle.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Racing-Star...3859658&sr=8-1&keywords=racing+stars+our+nige
61URj7todFL._SL1500_.jpg

Ah. The moustachoid :)

I always enjoyed him for his determination and attitude. If you watch interviews of him you can hear he wants to win badly. His charisma was great and he was an all out great driver as well.

I also remember the indy season that really put his name on the boards in the us. Great drive.

Do any of you other old geezers remember the japanese f1 tv spot where they had small animated pictures of the drivers to represent grid positions, and Nigels was just a cap and a stache, no face? :)

I believe it was Fuji TV or something. Got it on DVD somewhere...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back