Niels Heusinkveld

From Reiza Renato interview:

RD: Speaking of staffing, I hear plenty of people on the forum asking if Niels is still involved in the project (being something of a gMotor expert but missing from the rF2 Reiza DLC credits) – is he still with you?

RS: Niels is still onboard as a consultant but his involvement had already gradually decreased over the years as his hardware business grew and took most of his time. He still has a peek in from time to time to provide some insights, which is most welcome as he has the uncanny ability of coming up with good ideas and finding solutions in whatever area that happens to catch his attention.

With regards to the day-to-day nitty&gritty of physics development he´ll be a bit less involved as he is understandably not keen on completely revamping his physics tools for the new engine and tyre model, but that in itself isn´t a big change as Niels has always enjoyed a loose commitment with us where the door just sort of remains open for him to come and do whatever peaks his interest - he did usually find time to do most of the baseline physics for our cars but general physics development hasn’t ever been a one-man job.

In any case he´ll still be helping us out whenever we have some issue or a funky new bit of aero or suspension to figure out, and for all other cases we still have the products of nearly a decade of collaboration and a physics database covering pretty much any type of vehicle to draw from for years to come.

I don't think you have anything to fear. A lot of cars in AMS were 100% done by Renato, plus he always put the finishing touches on the cars I did as well. Over the years I kinda became known as the GSC / AMS physics guy, but at most I was about 50% of the equation! :)

Being so handsome and incredibly talented as a driver and comedian, and master of the English language, obviously I became the guy on video .. ;-) ;-)

Plus we're not just thrown in the deep with this engine, as there is documentation and expertise available for Reiza to (ab)use.

I don't think you have anything to fear. A lot of cars in AMS were 100% done by Renato, plus he always put the finishing touches on the cars I did as well. Over the years I kinda became known as the GSC / AMS physics guy, but at most I was about 50% of the equation! :)

Being so handsome and incredibly talented as a driver and comedian, and master of the English language, obviously I became the guy on video .. ;-) ;-)

Plus we're not just thrown in the deep with this engine, as there is documentation and expertise available for Reiza to (ab)use.

Thanks for replying here, Niels.

For many of us, the "all cars from the same physic universe" that you refer to in the video and Renato has acknowledged as one of AMS/Reiza's great strengths, is the holy grail for a new sim. Given that this philosophy was not followed by SMS in Project Cars (1 or 2), and that some other notable sims (with very smart people working on them) have got lost in the complexity of their own tire modelling, you can understand the concern.

As clearly capable as both you and Renato are at producing rFactor-based gems, we'd all feel more reassured if there were at least two great physics brains tackling the Seta model for AMS 2. Two is always better than one.

That being said, we can also assume that Reiza is satisfied that they can successfully "translate" the AMS magic into the Madness engine...even before fully being able to exploit all of its power or even fully understanding whether it needs fundamental adjustments. I hope you will at least be an active part in helping with the latter! :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 246 15.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 163 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 122 7.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 229 13.9%