Niels Heusinkveld Tours His Sim Setup - Video

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
NH Rig.png

Niels Heusinkveld is a prominent physics developer for Reiza Studios and owner of high end sim racing gear manufacturers Heusinkveld Engineering. Popular for his regular 'Talk and Drive' video sessions, Niels has responded to fan requests and produced a short visual tour of his sim racing setup back at home.

As a long time member of the sim racing community, Heusinkveld has made a name for himself as one of the most prominent and respected physics creators in the industry. Responsible for much of the driving experience in Automobilista as well as many other high caliber projects to his name, many fans have been requesting the Dutchman share some more details about what sim racing setup he uses when behind the wheel. With little happening in the industry on the build up to the festive holidays, Heusinkveld has taken the opportunity to create a short video tour of his racing setup, which you can enjoy below:

Now by his own admission not all the equipment on show hear is bang up to date with the latest technology. Running a relatively modest GTX 970 is a surprise, as well has his preference to strap on his rig a budget Thrustmaster TH8 as apposed to his own HE shifter. Still despite this, the estimated price of the setup shown in this video is still an eye watering 7500 euro... who said sim racing was cheap?

Still, it is interesting to see how one of the pro drivers have their own personal setup configured, and how Niels rig differs from ours back at home. I for one feel a bit jealous...

How does your setup compare to Niels? Let us know in the comments section below...

Last edited:
I honestly find it more annoying most sims won't me bind both the th8a in sequential and the paddles than actually switching the thing from h-pattern. :D

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I honestly find it more annoying most sims won't me bind both the th8a in sequential and the paddles than actually switching the thing from h-pattern. :D
Agree, who would think that mapping multiple controls to the same action is that hard.
Had to use multiple profiles in AC just for that. Silly, really.

Upvote 0
View attachment 164588 I think Niels rig is sweet! A sim rig will take you to a different level, and really shows your commitment to the hobby (sport?). It took me 3 weeks to design mine on paper/PC, 3 weeks to build it and cost me $250 (already had the controller's/pc/monitor). I built it from pvc pipe (2 inch), and used aluminum diamond plate for the pc floor (the pc sits behind the seat, like a rear engine?) It has a racing seat from JEGS and a plywood (finished of course)table integrated for the 28 inch Hanns G. I bolted my MOMO wingman controller to the cross plate and the foot controls to a forward positioned/angled plate. The rig looks like a tube framed formula car and has to be entered the same way. I have used this (prototype) rig for a couple of years now and am very happy with it. I even went over-board a little and gave the frame some pizzazz by including a roll hoop and exhaust pipes (complete with carbon residue...for effect). It has to be gotten into like you would a real formula car...by stepping into the rig and onto the seat, then lifting your body up so you can feed your legs forward into the structure and then sitting down. My rig really took my sim racing to a whole new level and I recommend building one for yourself, its way better than driving a table or a desk!
And let me add this: A sim rig will put the wheel in the correct position relative to your body and it will be secure as well as the pedals ! So you will be able to concentrate on doing fast laps and not have to worry that your pedals are going to move away or your wheel is coming detached etc...If you want help to build a PVC pipe version like mine just ask, I will help you:)

Upvote 0
CHAPEAU !
I can' t remember anyone else showing a competitor' s product (the Thrustmaster gear in this case...) in his rig.
Sooner or later I'm going to buy a Niels product - hey Niels won' t you send me a discount coupon ?....:)

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 213 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 209 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years