Niels Heusinkveld Talk & Drive 24: Boxer Cup @ Imola

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AMS Talk n driv.png

Niels Heusinkveld has released the 24th edition of his Talk & Drive series, this time taking the Boxer Cup out around the Imola circuit in Automobilista.

Although the Boxer Cup has been out for a little while now the car still remains one of the more popular pieces of content within Automobilista. Designed loosely around the Porsche Carrera Cup car that has proven to be so popular across a very wide range of national and international racing series - including the Formula One supporting Carrera Cup series that follows many of the Grand Prix around the world.

Heusinkveld spends over 20 minutes driving the Boxer Cup at Imola, released as part of the Imola Legendary Tracks DLC back in November and featuring four different layouts of the circuit across four decades from the 1970's to the present day configuration.

"Host of the San Marino GP for 26 years, Imola is a venue full of history where racing gods have risen and fallen. This pack features 4 distinct versions of this legendary track from 4 different decades - 1972, 1988, 2001 and 2016.

In the raw, classic, and dangerously fast original layout last used in 1972 your nerves will be tested as you blast through the picturesque roads, with no chicanes and no run-off areas - an old style, high speed blast surrounded by trees and armco.

The 1988 version featured the chicanes at Acque Mineralli, the top of the hill (Variante Alta) and at the end of the lap (Variante Basa). This is the layout that hosted many classic races in the late 80s and early 90s, until Ayrton Senna´s tragic accident at the then high speed Tamburello corner.

The 2001 version saw reforms to improve safety after the accidents of 1994, with chicanes added to the Tamburello and Villeneuve sweepers. The track remained an unique challenge, in which drivers had to balance cars around the high curbs in order to be fast. Michael Schumacher mastered this layout winning there 6 times.

Finally the modern 2016 version, which has brought back the high speed nature of the track by creating a flat-out section from the exit of Rivazza all the way to the Tamburello chicane" say Reiza of the original DLC release.
Heusinkveld has been on a bit of a video streaming hot streak lately, with a short introduction the both the Adelaide and ARC Camaro as well as his insights into physics developments within Reiza, however in this release Niels has spent more time concentrating on faster driving than chatting to his audience, which is a shame as the dry wit and easy going style of the Reiza physics guy often provides an entertaining watch.
Automobilista is a PC exclusive racing game by Reiza Studios available to purchase from Steam right now. The Imola legends circuit DLC can be purchased at an additional cost.

Talk and Drive Boxer Cup at Imola 2.jpg
Talk and Drive Boxer Cup at Imola.jpg
Talk and Drive Boxer Cup at Imola 3.jpg

Here at RaceDepartment we have our very own dedicated sub forum for Automobilista. In our sub forum you will find a wide selection of downloadable content to discover, from some of the best add on tracks to a selection of interesting vehicles, our downloads section is a positive treasure trove of additional content for AMS. If that isn't enough, we also pride ourselves on hosting some of the most exciting and intense multiplayer racing events for the game. If you like AMS and want to take your enjoyment to the next level, head over to the Racing Club and Leagues section of our Automobilista sub forum and find out what we have on offer. Of course we love our community here at RD and to help spread the love we cover all the latest news regarding the sim, and offer you a place to share your opinions and discussion topics regarding all Reiza titles. Head on over to the AMS sub forum and join in the discussion today!

Did you enjoy Niels Talk & Drive video? What do you think of the Boxer Cup and Imola? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I don't drive boxer in AMS because we have "the real thing" in AC. But plenty of other cars to drive. After the release of Adelaide I've found SuperV8s again, so annoying but at the same time so rewarding car to drive.

Niels Heusinkveld said:
I do actually like if the audio is loud, I don't mind that too much, for ... ah ... well ... some might say sad reasons: I kinda like having to speak up -- I'm not doing that too loud at the moment -- in order to get the atmosphere of simulation, as if I'm (makes quote/unquote gestures with fingers) "really in the car"; I know I'm not really in the car, I know it's a game even though we call it a sim, okay it's a sim, but it's still a game, alright?

(emphasis mine)

The above is a transcript of the interval from 3m47s to 4m17s, and I think it is fair to say that it puts the discussion of game vs. sim to rest:

Even if you consider AMS a sim, it's also a game, alright? Because Niels said so and if anyone is qualified to make such a statement about AMS, it's him. :)

(and yes, this also applies to AC, Project CARS etc. etc.)

Last edited:
The above is a transcript of the interval from 3m47s to 4m17s, and I think it is fair to say that it puts the discussion of game vs. sim to rest:

Is there really a discussion about that ? I mean, "racing simulation" is just a genre of game, a subgenre of the "racing games" genre, I don't see how there could be any discussion about that. And if you think there is, don't forget one thing, racing IRL is a game (yes, it is, like any sport), so a video game simulating a game can't be anything other than a game :)

Don't know if it's my personal evolution (although i doubt that as i haven't been driving around in the Boxer that much) but after the suspension update this baby has been granted a place in my heart.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back