Nice AC footage 'through the lens' of the new Oculus Rift S, compared with old Rift and HTC Vive.

Move or delete if innapropriate, cheers!

Assetto Corsa footage from 4:07

Looks like a worthy improvement. I never realized how bad the screen door/mesh was on my Vive I had last year.

Runs at 80hz/FPS instead of 90 to keep same PC requirements which should be just fine for sim racing. Only because it has slightly higher pixel resolution. Seems to have much less screen door/mesh effect and slightly higher definition. Improved room tracking with it's new inside-out sensors (everything's on the headset), but that's not a big thing for sim racers obviously.

£399, not bad considering you shouldn't need any PC upgrades.

No affiliations! Just an arthritic sim-racing VR enthusiast.
Tom.

• Deleted member 197115

Image quality is definitely nothing to write home about, but recording a small screen definitely makes it look a lot worse than it actually is. The reality is somewhere in the middle.
Warning to all new comers to VR, brace yourself for a huge initial disappointment.

Is that really how bad VR looks?! :confused:
2D images of VR are pointless. If you've never tried racing in VR then it's hard to explain the experience, except to say 'it's just like sitting in the actual car, on the actual track, at the actual venue'. The resolution and clarity is the biggest complaint but IMO this is MORE than offset by the sense of presence and immersion offered by full 360 degree view and stereoscopic vision. The stereoscopic 3D view cannot be underplayed and is something that a 2D display will never convincingly provide. In VR every object you see occupies proper 3D space and has a solidity and substance just like in real life. Judging speed and distances, nailing apexes, better spatial awareness... all are superb in VR. I went from a 50" 4k display to the Rift CV1 and the drop in resolution was initially a disappointment, but there's no way I can go back to a 2D display now. Racing in 2D looks so flat and feels so detached and remote compared to the immersion of VR.

VR and sim racing is a match made in heaven, I reckon. It continues to thrill and amaze me two years in.

Last edited:
Move or delete if innapropriate, cheers!

Assetto Corsa footage from 4:07

Looks like a worthy improvement. I never realized how bad the screen door/mesh was on my Vive I had last year.

Runs at 80hz/FPS instead of 90 to keep same PC requirements which should be just fine for sim racing. Only because it has slightly higher pixel resolution. Seems to have much less screen door/mesh effect and slightly higher definition. Improved room tracking with it's new inside-out sensors (everything's on the headset), but that's not a big thing for sim racers obviously.

£399, not bad considering you shouldn't need any PC upgrades.

No affiliations! Just an arthritic sim-racing VR enthusiast.
Tom.
The image of the Rift in this video is out of focus, the image isn't that bad as it looks here (I have a Rift).

Then maybe I just need to wait a few years. I'll put it on my 'things to buy' list, after a DD wheel, new cpu, new gpu, ... :whistling:
That's not a bad strategy. Even if VR development stalls right now the Pimax 5k is reportedly already excellent for sim racing (much higher resolution and wider FoV) but a 2080Ti is really recommended to get the best out of it. If foveated rendering gets added in the next few years then a high res, wide FoV headset and the hardware to run it will be a lot more 'affordable' (!) by then.

Why? Is VR not worth it at the moment? I wanted to pick one up but my rig is not good enough for VR, so I am saving up for a new rig and vr setup at the moment.
I have a rift. I can't really have fun racing without it nowadays. Is the image sharpness the same as even a 1080p screen? No. It isn't. It is also resource intensive. But the result is amazing. I put on my rift and I am race car driver. That is the best compliment I can give it.

Last edited:
Why? Is VR not worth it at the moment? I wanted to pick one up but my rig is not good enough for VR, so I am saving up for a new rig and vr setup at the moment.

That depends on your priorities.

If you want crystal clear 4K vision then no, it's not for you. If you want immersion then yes, absolutely.

I love ACC; great handling and FFB, beautiful graphics, etc, but I just simply don't play it because the VR support isn't good enough yet. VR in AC is absolutely superb, especially with the 'real mirrors' from the shaders patch. For the first time I really feel like I'm in a race car, not in my living room, and in the heat of battle you don't notice the low resolution. The screen door effect is only noticeable if you're looking for it. Allow yourself to get lost in it and you won't notice any of that stuff - it's much easier to look past a slightly low resolution and a little screen door effect than it is to stop noticing your desk and walls and the little mail slot that is a monitor.

The biggest problem with VR is not the resolution drop (5 minutes of racing and you don't even notice it) it's the motion sickness. Everyone new to VR who tries a racing game (or anything with free locomotion) for the first time will suffer from it. You need to build a tolerance to it, which takes time, but it's worth it. When you sit in an open top car for the first time and race against other real opponents online (and talk to them) it's a whole new world of realism. You really do need to experience it. Just get those VR legs first though.

The biggest problem with VR is not the resolution drop (5 minutes of racing and you don't even notice it) it's the motion sickness. Everyone new to VR who tries a racing game (or anything with free locomotion) for the first time will suffer from it. You need to build a tolerance to it, which takes time, but it's worth it. When you sit in an open top car for the first time and race against other real opponents online (and talk to them) it's a whole new world of realism. You really do need to experience it. Just get those VR legs first though.

I found that I was perfectly fine for any length of time in VR (I've only done about 2 hours max at a time though) as long as I look in a logical place. If I look awkwardly out at the scenery or try to look down at the road beside the car in an old open wheel car then I'll get sick almost immediately. As long as I'm looking out the window or in my mirrors, though, I'm all good.

I found that I was perfectly fine for any length of time in VR (I've only done about 2 hours max at a time though) as long as I look in a logical place. If I look awkwardly out at the scenery or try to look down at the road beside the car in an old open wheel car then I'll get sick almost immediately. As long as I'm looking out the window or in my mirrors, though, I'm all good.
I've had my Rift for a couple of years now, and thanks to game like Elite Dangerous, DCS, Windlands etc, I can look out of the side or even behind and not get sick anymore. If the frame rate drops significantly though, then I get a bit dizzy. The trick is to stop immediately and don't try to push through it. You build up a tolerance better this way.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 329 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 221 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 287 13.5%