Next upgrade - Heusinkveld pedals vs DD Wheel vs VR vs NLR Motion v3

Hello , I recently upgraded my graphics card to 1080 and Im now thinking what to change or upgrade next. It is not really necessary, everything works fine, but you know... It is exciting to change and upgrade stuff like that :)

what would you choose to upgrade as a first thing. Im aware price vice they differ, some of them a lot

Current setup
Obutto R3volution
Fanatec csw2 with Porsche 918 rim and Drift rim,
Fanatec v3 pedals,
Fanatec SQ shifter 1.5
Fanatec Hand break
Simvibe with 4 ADX Maximus CM mode and butt kicker in CS mode
Gametrix KW-908
48 "curved TV

Options
V3 pedals - Heusinkveld Pro or Ultimate
CSW2 - Accuforce 2 or any OSW, which one?
48 "TV - Oculus cv1 or Vive
Obutto - upgrade partly to NLR v3 motion

thanks for your opinion

Last edited:
Hey there,

I basically own everything in some variant on your wishlist. I'd say upgrade the pedals to the Heusinkveld Pro's (Ultimates are overkill). I've changed over from Fanatec v3's a few months back, and the performance difference is significant. So we're talking about the brake pedal, whatever magic is going on with the Heusinkveld pedals, braking control is just so much better. Trail braking and threshold braking feels intuitive compared to the Fanatec pedals. The V3's are great pedals, but the Heusinkveld are something very special.

But If I were in your position, in all fairness I'd actually upgrade the wheel to an OSW. Belt driven to direct drive is a huge step up in awesomeness. Though the actual return in performance on the track is subjective, but the pedals will definitely make a difference in my experience.

Of course all the other things on your list are awesome too, but I expect you'll end up with these over time so it's putting them in priority. Direct Drive wheels are amazing (I have a Bodnar), the Next Level Motion is a lot of fun (yep, I got that too), and I'm rocking a Vive.

Previous to my setup now it was all the latest Fanatec gear, so I know where your at. You already have a good setup, but know there's another tier to reach up to truly simracing godliness. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Hi Jeremy, thanks for long and detailed input :)

so what you are saying is dd wheel - heusinkveld pro - VR - ..

DD wheel biggest step in feeling, pedals biggest step in performance, VR nice upgrade, NLM funny upgrade :)

Upvote 0
Hi Jeremy, thanks for long and detailed input :)

so what you are saying is dd wheel - heusinkveld pro - VR - ..

DD wheel biggest step in feeling, pedals biggest step in performance, VR nice upgrade, NLM funny upgrade :)

That's a good summary. Motion is fun, it adds to the immersion and happy I added this to my rig but should be last on the shopping list of priorities. But I would recommend a ButtKicker as an alternative.

VR for sim racing right now isn't perfect (distant objects are blurry), so it's down to the user if they can put up with the compromise. When they step up the resolution with the gen 2 VR headsets then we're talking. Personally I enjoy my Vive mainly for non racing titles.

Upvote 0
thanks Jeremy,

I've tried NLM in shop and they probably didn't have the setup properly, but it was more disturbing then helping. Im quite happy with simvibe and tactiles, it took a great effort to ballance it, especially because we have tenants in ground floor and they shouldn't feel earthquake all the time Im racing :)

is there any difference to go Miege small or big or is it worth to look some other motors like Lenze (btw the only site I found on net is Reimer-motorsport.de and they are down)

Upvote 0
thanks Jeremy,

I've tried NLM in shop and they probably didn't have the setup properly, but it was more disturbing then helping. Im quite happy with simvibe and tactiles, it took a great effort to ballance it, especially because we have tenants in ground floor and they shouldn't feel earthquake all the time Im racing :)

is there any difference to go Miege small or big or is it worth to look some other motors like Lenze (btw the only site I found on net is Reimer-motorsport.de and they are down)

Yeah you're right about the stock NLM settings, out the box are too high, I've more or less halved the sway setting and that feels good to me. Otherwise I'm chucked around so much it really interferes with the ability to run competitive laps.

I'm afraid I know little about the different OSW motors. Mine is a Bodnar which uses a kollmorgen motor. Maybe emailing some of the OSW distributors and asking them directly as I doubt there are too many OSW users out there who have much experience with lots of different DD motors.

One thing I can say at least from my Bodnar, mine is the 16nm motor, which is the weakest strength of the range. And that's not weak at all, it's not possible to run any game ffb at 100%. So at least don't worry about thinking the most powerful is the way forward.

Upvote 0
Easy OSW Direct Drive , the biggest shock change you do next to Vr .
https://www.simracingbay.com/shop/

Vr , both oculus and Vive are good , for me oculus is better made and lighter.
I have fanatec but I hate there software.
thanks for your input Joe :)
if I may ask, why you prefer wheel before vr?

Im little bit confused with dd wheels, difference between argon and ioni pro

Have a look at this vid , he explains very well .

Upvote 0
Have a look at this vid , he explains very well .

That has nothing to do with Ioni vs Argon.

There are three different kinds of DIY Directdrive wheels.
Argon
Ioni with 1x Board
Ioni with Simucube

The Argon was the first popular servo controller used with DIY Wheels.
You can still use the argon but the build is way more complex than todays solution.
Then Granite Devices released the Ioni-Unit with the 1x-Board which was easier to build with but still complex.

After the big sucess of DIY DD-Wheels build with Granite Servo-Controllers, Granite released the Simucube.

This is a board dedicated for sim-racing and the easiest way to build a DIY-DD Wheel.
You just need to connect the ioni in the siumucube to powersupply, a servo motor and optional an emergency button.

Upvote 0
(upgrade priorities):
(1) Pedals (H-Eng Pro's are good, if you have $$$ go for Ultimates)
(2) AluRig (ExtrusionRig)
(3) AF v2, OSW (SimQuip) or LB SSx or ProSim Spec SS2 (depends on $$$)
(4) Triples (1440p @100/144/165Hz)
(5) or VR if you like it

Upvote 0
That has nothing to do with Ioni vs Argon.

There are three different kinds of DIY Directdrive wheels.
Argon
Ioni with 1x Board
Ioni with Simucube

The Argon was the first popular servo controller used with DIY Wheels.
You can still use the argon but the build is way more complex than todays solution.
Then Granite Devices released the Ioni-Unit with the 1x-Board which was easier to build with but still complex.

After the big sucess of DIY DD-Wheels build with Granite Servo-Controllers, Granite released the Simucube.

This is a board dedicated for sim-racing and the easiest way to build a DIY-DD Wheel.
You just need to connect the ioni in the siumucube to powersupply, a servo motor and optional an emergency button.

Thanks Tomas for simple and clear explanation

Are there any significant differences between Miege (China), Lenze (Germany) and Kollmorgen (Czech Republic) motors? and can you combine Simucube with any of them?

Upvote 0
(upgrade priorities):
(1) Pedals (H-Eng Pro's are good, if you have $$$ go for Ultimates)
(2) AluRig (ExtrusionRig)
(3) AF v2, OSW (SimQuip) or LB SSx or ProSim Spec SS2 (depends on $$$)
(4) Triples (1440p @100/144/165Hz)
(5) or VR if you like it

thanks for your imput Rocafella,

it is interesting you would prefer upgrade pedals before steering wheel

I found shop in US selling HE Ultimate for $1150 so still more expensive then Pro €719 ($808) but significantly cheaper then in Europe €1329, and since living in NZ doesn't matter where to buy them.

The question is Will Obutto handle Ultimate and is worth or even smart to go that way?

Upvote 0
thanks for your imput Rocafella,

it is interesting you would prefer upgrade pedals before steering wheel

I found shop in US selling HE Ultimate for $1150 so still more expensive then Pro €719 ($808) but significantly cheaper then in Europe €1329, and since living in NZ doesn't matter where to buy them.

The question is Will Obutto handle Ultimate and is worth or even smart to go that way?

Heya Actually Im wrong! There is a difference with or without GST at websites

So price difference between ultimate and pro ex gst is €594 vs €1098, its almost double! Am I right to go for Pro and save difference for dd wheel or whatever or is better to go Ultimate even if it mean prolong to buy something else but then I won't regret I didn't buy the best in first place and will be upgrading in future again from Pro to Ultimate?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Heya Actually Im wrong! There is a difference with our without GST at websites

So price difference between ultimate and pro ex gst is €594 vs €1098, its almost double! Am I right to go for Pro and save difference for dd wheel or whatever or is better to go Ultimate even if it mean prolong to buy something else but then I won't regret I didn't buy the best in first place and will be upgrading in future again from Pro to Ultimate?

I'm certain you won't be disappointed with the Pro's. The Ultimates are aimed for professional racing team use. The added hydraulic damping on the Ultimates makes the pedals super hard to press.

Upvote 0
all the users i asked said Obutto Revolution had no problems with OSW, AF nor high end pedals. there is also some youtube videos i think, but to be frank, if all fails, and if you flexing, maybe find a welder and let him put braces on it. (have heard that brace installation works great too)
i think most important about pedals and my priority being pedals, even if it doesn't make you faster (which i believe it does to some degree) but makes you consistent! very smooth and learn how to modulate and work with pedals much smoother.

as for servos, Lenze (I have Lenze with Argon, not using) make sure it is the "L" version, small MiGE works and is also bulletproof (i am using now with IONI) and Kollmorgen used by LeoBodnar for example for their SimSteering, i think they are all great in their own ways and of course a $$$ budget question. many say when you use the Lenze compared to small MiGE you will go back to Lenze. me personally could not tell.

*** and there is AccuForce V2 now with stepper motor 799/899$ to 1299$ US, guessing releasing in few weeks, are running Beta Tests with iRacing users

Upvote 0
Thanks Tomas for simple and clear explanation

Are there any significant differences between Miege (China), Lenze (Germany) and Kollmorgen (Czech Republic) motors? and can you combine Simucube with any of them?

Common sense is that the mige motor has got the best price/performance ratio, while the lenze and kollmorgen has got better quality (you may can feel) for a i think about 4 times the price of the mige.

Upvote 0
thanks all of you guys for your effort, help and inputs
So final decission is to upgrade wheel and pedals as a first stage, pedals are going to be probably HE Pro and it seems to be more easy to change them then the wheel. Im still fighting with the right wheel, which of DD one to choose :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey Balroque,

Read your post and completely hear you, seems many people are on the same page ............. coming up from Fanatec kit and taking the plunge to pro level grade gear, I have traveled this exact same path, I changed the my wheel first again from Fanatec all very good, but I plugged for this and it is exceptional, as all DD wheels are :-
https://www.simracingbay.com/product/simucube-based-osw-kit-with-acrylic-case/
Then went for a momo mod30 wheel from Demon Tweeks coupled with a Martin Ascher button plate, again awesome bit of kit to compliment the wheel :-
https://www.ascher-racing.com/shop/buttonplate-c20xl/

I then just this week plugged for the HE Ultimates again once you have gotten over the price of everything and have taken the plunge you are are on a different path of Sim Rig and it is awesome :)

Good Luck.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 133 13.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 95 9.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 71 7.0%