PC3 Next Project Cars "200% Better Than PCARS 2"

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS Revolution .jpg

Slightly Mad Studios head man Ian Bell has taken to Twitter recently to praise their new game... claiming it to be "200% better" already than the previous release.

Now going under the name of Project CARS Revolution, the third instalment to the successful Project CARS franchise is already well under development at Slightly Mad Studios HQ - and progress is so far advanced that Ian Bell claims the title is already "at least 200% better" than anything Project CARS 2 had to offer.

Criticised by some and loved by others, the last Project CARS game certainly managed to do plenty right despite its often confused nature, so news that the new title is allegedly so far ahead at this reasonably early stage is indeed positive news - even if Bell himself admitted he can be prone to the odd bout of over optimism in the past..

Ian Bell Tweet.jpg

Despite such solid beginnings, Ian Bell did go on to warn people that a release date will only be confirmed once the studio feel the software is ready to release, so don't expect it to be dropping anytime in the next few weeks.. although some more previews and information will surely start being drip fed by Bell and SMS as the hype train begins ahead of a public release.

Just to clarify - the above image is from PCARS 2..

Keep an eye out in the Project CARS Revolution sub forum here at RaceDepartment as a place to hang out and discuss the upcoming new game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Well I suppose we got 18 pages in before the toxicity really kicked in.
It"s a game, no it's a sim. SMS are evil incarnate, no they're just a business.

I was just thinking this morning it was good that I hadn't had to ban anyone from this thread. I'd like to keep it that way.
So, and I'm sure you all know who you are, let's just stop to think before posting.

I reinstalled Pcars 2 and something odd caught my attention.
The F3.5 renault 3d model lifts the rear flap when DRS is off and vice versa.
The same thing happens in RF2 version.
Spooky.

Not spooky at all. This is how the FR3.5 are supposed to work.

"The car features a drag reduction system (DRS) system, which in contrast to F1, closes the slot gap to stall the wing. The system is only really effective on the HDF (High DownForce) package. On the MDF, there is minimal effect and on LDF, DRS produces no effect. Be aware that it significantly shifts the downforce balance forward, so you must choose wisely when to operate the system, only after your tires have plenty of grip and the car is mostly in a straight line. It takes a few tenths for the flow to fully reattach to the rear wing, meaning that downforce comes back progressively. Utilizing DRS is essential as the top speed gains can be quite substantial. "
https://forum.studio-397.com/index....-5-2014-spec-now-available.43810/#post-735133

Not spooky at all. This is how the FR3.5 are supposed to work.

"The car features a drag reduction system (DRS) system, which in contrast to F1, closes the slot gap to stall the wing. The system is only really effective on the HDF (High DownForce) package. On the MDF, there is minimal effect and on LDF, DRS produces no effect. Be aware that it significantly shifts the downforce balance forward, so you must choose wisely when to operate the system, only after your tires have plenty of grip and the car is mostly in a straight line. It takes a few tenths for the flow to fully reattach to the rear wing, meaning that downforce comes back progressively. Utilizing DRS is essential as the top speed gains can be quite substantial. "
https://forum.studio-397.com/index....-5-2014-spec-now-available.43810/#post-735133
It is one of the best cars in Project Cars 2 for sure. Does this mean we only have the high downforce package in game? Will test it out in a couple of weeks if the level of aero influences the DRS effect.

Well I suppose we got 18 pages in before the toxicity really kicked in.
It"s a game, no it's a sim. SMS are evil incarnate, no they're just a business.

I was just thinking this morning it was good that I hadn't had to ban anyone from this thread. I'd like to keep it that way.
So, and I'm sure you all know who you are, let's just stop to think before posting.

Kenny, any chance the "my sim is better than your sim" or "<insert game> isn't a sim" or the use of the word "simcade" be pretty much insta temp bans on 2nd offence? I imagine it's only a few who are like that and does the community want to tolerate that sort of attitude?

Sims are enough of a niche without those that further fragment the community with toxic comments and arguments.

Proper reasoned criticism without hyperbole and biased by ignorance is perfectly fine and I'm the first to admit PCars 1+2 have more than their fair share of issues.

Kenny, any chance the "my sim is better than your sim" or "<insert game> isn't a sim" or the use of the word "simcade" be pretty much insta temp bans on 2nd offence? I imagine it's only a few who are like that and does the community want to tolerate that sort of attitude?
Speaking personally I'm not a fan of blanket ban's, although I've never understood why someone who doesn't play or like a game feels the need to post in a thread about said game and attack those who do.
The thing is we are a discussion forum and members are passionate so some responses can be robust. Add to that some don't have english as their first language and some buzzwords are helpful to them.
So as mods we try to get the balance right, pretty sure there's some who think I'm soft to others I'm heavy handed
So each case on its own merits, unless it breaches our ToS.

Here is what i would want:
Reiza derived physics and FFB.
The tracks in your catalogue that aren't scanned, remake them, preferably using LS, but if not possible just remake them.
A modern F1 car.

Fulfill those 3 i'm in, if i hear "it's a step forward compared to Pcars 2, but you can still feel it's dna" i'm waiting for extreme discounts.

Alternatively make it "Project Cars Horizon" focused on road cars and 'im good with it too, i just can't deal with middling not great at anything.

Speaking personally I'm not a fan of blanket ban's, although I've never understood why someone who doesn't play or like a game feels the need to post in a thread about said game and attack those who do.
The thing is we are a discussion forum and members are passionate so some responses can be robust. Add to that some don't have english as their first language and some buzzwords are helpful to them.
So as mods we try to get the balance right, pretty sure there's some who think I'm soft to others I'm heavy handed

This thread is about a title that hasn't been released yet, that title is part of a series/franchise, it's 100% normal that people will come here and express how they felt about the previous games in the series.

Daily trashing it after the first/second impressions period you might have a point.

And i think the site has the right policy :thumbsup:

Last edited:
This thread is about a title that hasn't been released yet, that title is part of a series/franchise, it's 100% normal that people will come here and express how they felt about the previous games in the series.
I wasn't talking about this thread specifically, although my reaction as a mod to a new p cars game thread can be seen in post#5.
Daily thrashing it after the first/second impressions period you might have a point.
It"s that which I hear the most complaints from members about, the same people turning up in every thread banging on repeatedly about the same gripe or making antagonistic or provocative posts.
See now what you made me do I'm going off the thread topic:whistling:

Fair enough. :)

Sure, sure.
Are they going to do like the last 2 and lock modding down behind a stupid system?
Are they going to release all the actual good stuff as high-priced DLC a year after the game itself comes out?
Are they going to screw over early adopters by giving them the bare bones version for $100+ while giving people who wait for release date a cheaper price?
Slightly Mad? More like Slightly Greedy.

Sure, sure.
Are they going to do like the last 2 and lock modding down behind a stupid system?

Probably.

Are they going to release all the actual good stuff as high-priced DLC a year after the game itself comes out?

I doubt it. For PC2 DLC was released after 3 months, 6 months, 9 months and 12 months. High priced? The season pass was £25 or £8.50 for each individual DLC. Each DLC had at least one track and 8 or 9 cars. In terms of value this is similar to AC, about half the price of Raceroom content packs, about a quarter the price of rF2 DLC and well no surprise that iRacing is just in another league. Actual good stuff? Naturally if you want people to buy the DLC it has to have some "good stuff". But the base game comes with Ferraris and Porsches in the 180 car line-up. Any Porsches in the base content for AC, rF2, RR or iRacing? The DLC tracks were nice - the vintage Le Mans and Mugello stand out for me but when the base game has 60 tracks including Spa, Monza, Le Mans, Nordschleife, etc you can live without them. Any other base game come with Nords and Le Mans?

Are they going to screw over early adopters by giving them the bare bones version for $100+ while giving people who wait for release date a cheaper price?
Slightly Mad? More like Slightly Greedy.

Not if PC2 is a guide. The pre-release price was $50 (US). Release price was $60. These are Steam prices, but I doubt the bare bones console version was over $100. You may be confusing PC2 with ACC which was sold at full price for the 4 months upto release and on release was sold with a 10% discount.

• Deleted member 955978

With a millionaire company buying SMS i see one of two things...

Or they're gonna create the SIMULATOR, the best thing we've ever seen in terms of realism, sound, graphics and physics, dusting all competition by miles, or they'll want to make some more millions and they'll do another SIMCADE/GAME which main goal is the profit (which i belive is going to happen again unfortunately).
So you gave the answer yourself, capitalists all act the same. There is no other option.

• Deleted member 955978

From Nathan Bell in the PCars Forums:

'Hi guys, how you all doing? Hope you're keeping well. Just to clarify, this is a partial sale, my Dad's not going anywhere. Our Management and core team will stay in place, and our operations will continue uninfluenced. Nothing is changing at SMS, other than the bank account. We're stilll committed to making the best games possible for our fans and the wider gaming community.'
Well, am I also entitled to talk about my Dad‘s business plans?
:roflmao::D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 217 14.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.7%
  • < 5 years