Next build: Upcoming Directory Changes

Upcoming Directory Changes

By: Jeremy Miller (ISI)

I figured it would be best to give a little warning about a significant change to the upcoming update. Above you will see the new layout for rFactor2. Bin32 and Bin64 are new directories which hold executable binaries of 32 and 64 bit, respectively.

As you can see, there is a Plugins directory beneath both Bin32 and Bin64. This is where *.dll files should be located. This is includes third party plugins built using our internal plugins interface. As of right now, internal plugins stored in Bin64/Plugins still need to be postfixed with *_x64.dll.

The Launcher directory contains all dynamically loaded libraries and executable files need to run the Launcher. The Launcher, being a separate program, is now isolated in its own path.

Core has everything else is once had minus the files moved to Bin32 and Bin64.

Everything in Users\<Username>\Documents\rFactor remains unchanged.

Why do this?

First, we need a concrete way to communicated the file difference between 32 and 64 bit builds. This layout should make it clear.
Second, Anti malware/virus programs can easily whitelist our binaries based on paths (including plugins).
Third, Keeping the filenames the same name, between 32 and 64 bit, means third party applications need only look for rFactor2.exe. Most significantly this has to-do with GPU drivers and their detection (based on executable file name) and subsequent application of optimized settings for rFactor2.exe.
Fourth. Automation, the latest Launcher will run the 64 bit build if it can (you can out put of this behavior). No longer will the end user be required to modify file names in protected directories to run the 64 bit executables.

Breaking changes. 3rd Party plugins will not be loaded until they are moved into Bin32/Plugins or Bin64/Plugins

Disclaimer: We may tweak this before the next update is built. I will announce those changes in this thread if that occurs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have a couple of questions.
I think I have managed to get it running in 64 bit by renaming the exe files.
1) Is there anytime I might need to revert to 32 bit EG can I race online with other drivers who are running 32 bit?
or will the sever only work with 32 or 64.
2) Is simply moving a plugin all thats reqired. I have the motec plugin.
Thanks

I have a couple of questions.
I think I have managed to get it running in 64 bit by renaming the exe files.
1) Is there anytime I might need to revert to 32 bit EG can I race online with other drivers who are running 32 bit?
or will the sever only work with 32 or 64.
2) Is simply moving a plugin all thats reqired. I have the motec plugin.
Thanks

32 Bit clients can run on 64bit servers and 64 bit clients can run on 32 bit servers. i'm in 64 bit mode and i did not had any problems with our 32 bit server.

If you don't experience any problems, you don't have to revert anything.
You can run it in 64bit by renaming the the 64bit exe files. (keep a copy of the originals)

About plugin's, they have to support 64bit. Or they will not work. Track map plugin doesn't work in 64bit. :(

32 Bit clients can run on 64bit servers and 64 bit clients can run on 32 bit servers. i'm in 64 bit mode and i did not had any problems with our 32 bit server.

If you don't experience any problems, you don't have to revert anything.
You can run it in 64bit by renaming the the 64bit exe files. (keep a copy of the originals)

About plugin's, they have to support 64bit. Or they will not work. Track map plugin doesn't work in 64bit. :(
Thanks Gijs
I did some practice in 64 bit.
I noticed that the Motec plugin did not appear.
However later I did some more practice and the Motec plugin did appear.
I wondered if that meant it had reverted to 32 bit?
Is there any other way of knowing that you are in 64 bit mode.
Cheers

Thanks Gijs
I did some practice in 64 bit.
I noticed that the Motec plugin did not appear.
However later I did some more practice and the Motec plugin did appear.
I wondered if that meant it had reverted to 32 bit?
Is there any other way of knowing that you are in 64 bit mode.
Cheers
Go into the task manager while rF2 is running and look for rFactor2.exe on the processes tab. If you are running in 32Bit you should see a "*32" behind the rFactor2.exe. If dont see that, you are running 64Bit.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back