Newcomer to Sim Racing

Hey everyone,

Can't believe it's taken me so long to finally post. I've been lurking on this forum for some time, mostly checking out your great rigs. Pretty amazed with the quality and finish on some of your custom works. Most I've done in the past is hooked up a G29 to a console and played some Horizon :)

Being a huge into cars/motorsports, and having owned several sports cars, I think it's finally time to build something for myself.

Couple questions though:
1) I imagine my biggest incentive is playing F1 the way it's intended, having said that — I love the Horizon series and will continue to purchase those games. I have a robust PC setup with a 1080 TI, but it's a rather dedicated setup for another stream of gaming i.e. FPS/MMO. So I would need to either purchase another PC, or go the XBOX/PS4 route. I think the vast majority push for PC. Should I aim for this direction as well?

2) This may be a completely stupid question: F1 Seats are differently positioned than standard racing/rally seats; I'm sure it's preference rather than function, when crossing over sims?

3) Which brands do you prefer and why?

My budget is probably in the area of 3-4k max. List your recommendations and get me started on my way to finally enjoying racing games again!

Thanks!

Hey,

1) in my opinion, i would go for a PC Setup. 1080 Ti is mostly enough for the most sims if u Play on single screen.. Depends on which Sims you Play and what Setup you are using.
I would just buy F1 2019 on Steam and take a look (Resellers sell it for around 12€). Maybe take a look on Assetto Corsa Competizione (GT3 Blancpain) i'm loving it so far!

2) Yes the seats are differently positioned. I think it's more for the real F1, GT or Rally Feeling and as you said.. for the preferences. I think seats can be switched in positions between F1 and GT.

3) Can't tell you that much here; I've started with Thrustmaster, bought a second Hand T300 and i'm happy so far. Additional i bought a SMRF-1 Wheel from Speedmaxracing (second Hand aswell). Love it!

Just try other sims with your G29 and then i would consider in upgrading. You can also build your own Aluminum-RIG, there are some RIG Designers and Presets.

Upvote 0
Hey,

1) in my opinion, i would go for a PC Setup. 1080 Ti is mostly enough for the most sims if u Play on single screen.. Depends on which Sims you Play and what Setup you are using.
I would just buy F1 2019 on Steam and take a look (Resellers sell it for around 12€). Maybe take a look on Assetto Corsa Competizione (GT3 Blancpain) i'm loving it so far!

2) Yes the seats are differently positioned. I think it's more for the real F1, GT or Rally Feeling and as you said.. for the preferences. I think seats can be switched in positions between F1 and GT.

3) Can't tell you that much here; I've started with Thrustmaster, bought a second Hand T300 and i'm happy so far. Additional i bought a SMRF-1 Wheel from Speedmaxracing (second Hand aswell). Love it!

Just try other sims with your G29 and then i would consider in upgrading. You can also build your own Aluminum-RIG, there are some RIG Designers and Presets.

Hey thanks for your reply!

I would prefer a multi-screen setup for realism. In that case, do most people run 1080 to 1440 screens? I guess it depends on GPU but seemingly with 1080ti I should be able to output decent frames.

That's good to know about seats, so maybe I need to find hybrid seating that allows for multiple positions. The ones I have seen that are specifically from Playseat, intended for F1, are one solid piece and cannot be re-positioned, at least to my knowledge.

Unfortunately I no longer have the G29, sold it a while ago. The experience wasn't great given it was attached to my desk and the peddles would constantly move despite my best efforts to keep them positioned.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back