Newbie needs help with RTX 2070 GPU setup

Hi all,

I am fairly new due to gaming and I don't know all the in's and out's when it comes to perfect PC setups. I bought an Alienware Aurora R7 back in April that had a GTX 1070 GPU in it. I recently upgraded from a 23" 60hz monitor to a 32" 144hz monitor. I play PC2, AC, ACC, AMS, ATS, ETS2 and X-Plane 11.

I just bought and installed a new Gigabyte RTX 2070 GPU to try and take advantage of what my monitor can do for me and right out of the box after installing the drivers and the Aorus Engine software from the included disc, I am noticing virtually no improvement in FPS in my games. I am sure I must be doing something wrong, so I am hoping someone here can guide me in the right direction because right now I feel like I wasted $400 on the GPU. Do I really need to make changes through the Aorus Engine to see gains over my GTX 1070? Again, I don't think that is the case, I am sure I am missing something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I expect you haven't done anything wrong. What was the fps on the 1070 and what is the fps are you getting with 2080? And what specific games were you monitoring the frame rates? What is the resolution of the 32" monitor? And are you saying you tested both the 1070 and 2080 on the new 32" monitor?

The reason I'm questioning for clarity is the fact you mention that you're new to gaming, hence I wonder if there is some detail missing here.

Upvote 0
I expect you haven't done anything wrong. What was the fps on the 1070 and what is the fps are you getting with 2080? And what specific games were you monitoring the frame rates? What is the resolution of the 32" monitor? And are you saying you tested both the 1070 and 2080 on the new 32" monitor?

The reason I'm questioning for clarity is the fact you mention that you're new to gaming, hence I wonder if there is some detail missing here.
I got the 32" monitor earlier this week. Settings are at 2560x1440 144hz 1440p. I set that up and was using it with the 1070. I am fairly new new to gaming. I got the PC back in April and I only play a handful of games, mostly sim racing. I know I don't have the best setup but it is what I have and I don't know tons of technical details compared to a lot of other gamers.

I tested a few games with the 1070 on the 32" monitor before swapping for the 2070 and wrote down some numbers. I played Project Cars 2 and I was getting around 90fps with 10 cars on Le Mans. I played ACC with 10 cars on Spa and got about 50 to 55fps.

I installed the 2070 today and I am getting about 90 to 100fps in PC2 with 10 cars on Le Mans. I do ACC with 10 cars on Spa starting in 10th and I am getting about 55 to 65fps. When I was in 3rd place with 2 cars visible in front of me I got close to 70fps.

I was expecting these numbers to be much higher considering the 2070 performance is supposed to be about 132% to 136% performance of the 1070. I was expecting to see PC2 topping out near 120 to 130 fps and ACC around 80 to 90fps.

I feel like a measly fps jump of 5 to 10 doesn't justify the $400 I spent.

I see some Youtube videos about setting up for overclocking with the Aorus Engine. This is where my newbie status kicks in. I have never fidgeted with stuff like this before, so I don't want to go changing settings that may cause more harm than good.

I just expected way better performance out of the box so that is why I asked if I am doing something wrong or if there is something else I need to do to achieve better numbers from this GPU.

Upvote 0
Interesting as I've just bought a 2080 going up from a 1080 so hoping to get an increase myself.
But cpu also has a factor on the frames you will get. What cpu you got?

Upvote 0
Did you make a full reinstall of the GFX drivers? At least in geforce experience there is a tick box you need to tick to fully reinstall, and you definitely should do that after upgrading.

Upvote 0
Did you make a full reinstall of the GFX drivers? At least in geforce experience there is a tick box you need to tick to fully reinstall, and you definitely should do that after upgrading.
No I did not do a full reintall of drivers. I swapped the GPUs and ran the install disc that came with the 2070 and it installed drivers and Aorus Engine. I did not mess with Aorus Engine at all. The only thing I did change after the new monitor was set up was I went into Nvidia Control Panel and changed from 60hz to 144hz. What is Geforce Experience? I do not have that. Again, I bought the PC back in April and bought some games off of Steam to play. That is all I have done. Now I bought a new monitor and a new GPU. I have messed with nothing else settings wise.

Upvote 0
OK it looks like GeForce Experience solved all my problems. I installed it, created an account, optimized game play for ACC (it changed some settings that were set to Epic down to High) and then downloaded and installed the latest Game Ready Driver and did a clean install so it uninstalled anything previous. I went back into ACC and to my 10 car race at Spa. Starting in 10th I am now getting 90fps to 95fps instead of 60fps and once I get up to 3rd place I am 100fps to 105fps instead of 65fps to 70fps. I will test other games later but I am definitely much happier now. Thanks to all.

Upvote 0
Ok so not 100% sure about my previous post. I did not optimize Project Cars 2 at all with GeForce Experience and I just ran a 10 car race on Le Mans again and I am still getting the 95fps to 105fps I was getting before. I am wondering if optimizing ACC with bringing settings down from Epic to High had almost all to do with raising my fps there. Or maybe around 100fps is all I can get with this GPU and CPU setup. Although all my fans are very quiet so it doesn't seem like anything is under any strain pushing the frames that it is pushing. I will continue to play around with things and see what happens.

Upvote 0
Could you remove the Aorus Engine software, just to make sure that isn't influencing anything GPU wise.
I guess I could uninstall Aorus Engine but it is just a utility to overclock the GPU. I watched a couple Youtube videos on using it so I am going to try and raise the core and memory clocks a bit and see what further performance gains I can get.

Upvote 0
I guess I could uninstall Aorus Engine but it is just a utility to overclock the GPU. I watched a couple Youtube videos on using it so I am going to try and raise the core and memory clocks a bit and see what further performance gains I can get.

It's certainly worth looking into. I was wondering if installing it would automatically set whatever Gigabyte sees as default clockspeeds and power targets etc.

Looks like you are about to find out :)

Upvote 0
My guess is that the 8GB of memory is where the bottleneck is which is why you're seeing an improvement in ACC but very little in PC2 becuase it's already running at a high frame rate.

Upvote 0
My guess is that the 8GB of memory is where the bottleneck is which is why you're seeing an improvement in ACC but very little in PC2 becuase it's already running at a high frame rate.
I didn't do much fps capturing on PC2 before the GPU switch. On LeMans I was getting between 90fps and 100fps in a 10 car quick race. I am continuing my career now with the 2070 in and I am getting up to 140fps on Dubai when in the lead. It was lower at the start with 20 AI cars, I think around 110fps. Not sure what it was with the 1070. I also used Aorus Engine and ran an auto scan to create a curve for the core clock boost. That may have helped a little. I plan on doing a manual clock boost when I have more time. Overall, I guess I am pretty satisfied where I am sitting now.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing