Newbie in racing sim

Greetings, as you've already got it, im a newb in AC and i have just a couple questions about how i see it.
Basically, i only have a controller, but i also had 2-pedal setup somewhere, not sure. Before someone says "lol, just buy a wheel" - no, im absolutely broke and don't have spare money to buy "used cheap" wheels. But i want to play the game badly and be somewhat decent at it.
So, the question is - is it possible to git gud with a controller in such game? I have like 10 hours in AC, basically trying to find the best settings for steering, but haven't found any of those comfortable. Is it even real to try and compete against players with steering wheels.
And second question will be, if i find my 2-pedal setup, will it be possible to shift with buttons on the wheel? Has anybody tried it so far?

Yes to all your questions, just put in the time ;)
You might never reach competitive pro level, as this requires smooth inputs to get the fastest laptimes, but you can surely beat 80% of the online competition if you practice wisely.

Oh, so it's possible to shift with buttons on the wheel? Would be cool, if that's true, cause i have no idea and google doesn't give anything when i ask it there.
Yes, you can basically map whatever you want with 3rd party apps or Content Manager, but I can't remember if it's possible in vanilla AC :D

Firstly let me say welcome. I myself have been playing sim racers on console for a few years but only recently (6 months) made the jump to playing them on PC after many many years (20+) of PC gaming other titles and I have to say you have made the right choice starting out in AC IMHO. The game is superb when modded up, the downloadable content selection massive and the community here very helpful and friendly.

On to your controller question...

I race weekly with the same group of guys and one of those guys does not have a wheel he uses the tilt function on a PS4 controller emulated on his PC *This is not him in the video but just to show you how smooth it can be. (
). The software he uses is called DS4Windows and is free and available here. (http://ds4windows.com/). I know you said above that you are currently using a 360 pad but if you had access to a PS4 controller too I thought this info may be of use to you and help your lap times over and above sticks.

Have fun.

Carl

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 110 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 84 9.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 80 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 56 6.5%