new wheel or cockpit

Hi guys and girls,
i currently have an ageing fanatec gt2 porsche wheel, i have been looking into getting a csw v2 (pushing the budget) or a thrustmaster t500rs (much more sensible money) or tonights brainwave is a proper cockpit and keep the gt2 or a cockpit and the t500rs???
hope that makes sense.........
does a cockpit really make that much difference to the experience??
thx james

I'd buy the T300/TX instead of a T500 if I where you. Can't really comment on cockpit as I'm a desk racer too, but if I had the space for a cockpit I would go for that first and hold on to my GT3 wheel for a while longer. Now I don't have the space so I ordered the CSW v2 instead :p
(it'll prob rip my poor cheap **** desk to pieces, but that's a problem for then, not now xD)

Upvote 0
  • Mikko Lashay

A comfortable chair and a stable table at the right height for your arms and legs and a monitor desk mount will do in my opinion, at a much lower price..

Upvote 0
While as I've already said I don't own a cockpit, I think you will find that a cockpit will help you a LOT more in getting safe and consistent than a new wheel will. Reason for me thinking this is because a while back I decided to try stop my chair from rolling around while driving (I had been using my left foot to hold myself stationary, but when I wanted to clutch it became an issue). So I locked my chair in place and MAN what a difference it made, all of a sudden I could brake later, hit apexes more easily and got a LOT more consistent. I've confirmed this by jumping back and forth between the two several times, the difference is huge.
Now my chair is still not in a perfect position and it can still rotate, so there's room for even more improvement.
But based on this I think having a good sitting position which is rock solid makes a huge difference, so I'd recommend a cockpit over a wheel any day. Besides the GT2 wheel is decent. :)

Upvote 0
Cockpit that is rock solid. I used this setup in my office for quite some time. A $50 seat from a 80's 270z, some wood, monitor stand.

Attachments

• IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 337
Upvote 0
Haven't tried a cockpit with 3 monitors and so on-----so I have no clue
if it makes any difference in SPEED because that's what counts..
Stig
Speed is nothing without control :p
What a cockpit offers is a chair and mounting for your wheel and pedals that does not move or flex while you are driving, which in turn means you become a lot more confident while driving. With confidence comes speed, unless it turns into overconfidence that is :)

Upvote 0
I do not have a cockpit but a solid oak desk with a chair that goes nowhere as it is up against a wall ( office/man-cave is a 1.75 x1.75m room) The pedals are on a solid angled foot base fixed into the desk leg space. But anything with tactile inducers will give you some extra clues to how the car is handling is certainly not going to slow you down!

Upvote 0
well my steering wheel and pedals have never moved an inch...
but a comfortable seating position in a real seat I can imagine that could give
that little extra confidence...
but the moving cockpits ( seats) would absolutely make me slower
or it would get me hospitalised with a shaken lever pretty fast with all the
sim driving I do...
Stig

Upvote 0
I started on table then I bought a wheel stand pro, I hated both because I have to press hard the brakes on the clubsport pedal so it slid around nomatter how I tried to fix it in position (on wooden floor).
Since then I have a wooden cockpit and that's it, just like a real car, you don't have to worry about anything.
I would rather play on a DFGT in a cockpit than with a CSWv2 on a desk+office chair.

Upvote 0
. But anything with tactile inducers will give you some extra clues to how the car is handling is certainly not going to slow you down! [/QUOTE]

the videos with moving cockpits I have seen - I just cant recognise all that shaking going on
haven driven real karts for some years..the real feeling is a constant push to your body
of G forces ( not shaking ) and those cockpits cant simulate a constant G force...
but in RALLY there is a lot of shaking and G forces..

Stig

Upvote 0
. But anything with tactile inducers will give you some extra clues to how the car is handling is certainly not going to slow you down!

the videos with moving cockpits I have seen - I just cant recognise all that shaking going on
haven driven real karts for some years..the real feeling is a constant push to your body
of G forces ( not shaking ) and those cockpits cant simulate a constant G force...
but in RALLY there is a lot of shaking and G forces..

Stig[/QUOTE]
I am not talking about the motion actuators only tactile transducers that give vibrations that can indicate slip and traction. There is a lot of info coming in through the steering wheel so having it come through the seat and pedals will help, especially if you have 4 transducers representing the wheels

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back