New VW boss: Emissions scandal will not affect racing programs

Emissions.png
New Volkswagen boss, Matthias Muller, has confirmed that none of VW's current racing programs are under threat of being abandoned or reduced amidst the fallout from the emissions scandal.

Said scandal, which emerged in September this year, for a long time seemed to place Volkswagen's racing programs in jeopardy, and arguably ruined Audi's chance to join F1 even to the surprise of Eddie Jordan himself, a man known for having accurate sources in the paddock concerning F1's silly-season.

However, Matthias Muller, who has taken over the reigns from Martin Winterkorn after his resignation, has confirmed that VW's "motorsports programs are not in danger of being dropped or significantly reduced", during an appearance at last weekend's 6 Hours of Bahrain.

Muller continued to say that 2015 was a "tremendous season with incredible success", whilst also emphasizing just how important motorsport was to the VW brand. The news will be music to many people's ears, especially after such an emphatic 2015 WEC season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love that picture, what a great WEC season. Think we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg with regards to emissions "cheating" so lets see if the shareholders are okay with money being spent on motorsport in a year or two when they have to compensate every VW diesel buyer + pay a load of fines as well.

To be honest the VAG motorsport program is much larger than you first think

LMP1: Porsche, Audi
GTE: Porsche
GT3: Porsche, Lamborghini (two models), Bentley, Audi
WRC: VW Polo
RallyCross: VW Polo, Beattle, Audi A1 (not sure if they are factory related)
Touring: BTCC (not sure if they are factory related)
Cups: Audi TT Cup, Seat Leon Cup, Lamborghini Super Trofeo, VW Scirocco Cup

Especially the GT3 cars are a bit much. Four cars from the same group?!

Besides WEC/USCC and WRC I don't see much factory based sports. Except for the newer Lamborghini and the Bentley, all cars are more or less sold to teams for a certain amount. The Lambo comes with factory-team backing, the Bentley is developed by Prodrive (no insight on billing here). The development costs for cup cars should be peanuts and these are not handed over to the teams for free. Nonetheless I expected the withdrawal of the third WRC car and one marque to step out of WEC as worst case.

Besides WEC/USCC and WRC I don't see much factory based sports. Except for the newer Lamborghini and the Bentley, all cars are more or less sold to teams for a certain amount. The Lambo comes with factory-team backing, the Bentley is developed by Prodrive (no insight on billing here). The development costs for cup cars should be peanuts and these are not handed over to the teams for free. Nonetheless I expected the withdrawal of the third WRC car and one marque to step out of WEC as worst case.
I totally forgot DTM :D I think in GT3 they are pretty involved in the Audi teams WRT and Phoenix. They both get lots of factory support. I am not sure about the Cups. They do lots of "branding" with that, so I don't know if they make money with it, but I still think they have to pay for it.

I think WEC, DTM and the GT3 developments are the most expensive parts. Most manufacturers don't make money with GT3 cars as the numbers are still fairly limited, but still much bigger than for GTE cars.

And they are making powertrains for Abt in Formula E ;)

Yeah, but non-gaz engines are something they will never give up on. That's too important for development.

Ah yes, DTM, forgot about it too.Biggest numbers should still be WEC, WEC and DTM in that order.
Really, Audi are selling the R8 LMS for good. Like the Seat Leon Supercopa or like Prodrive does with all its Fiestas R1 R2 R5 etc. GT 3 numbers could be peanuts. Red zero maybe as we say in Germany?

Sorry, messed up quoting somehow...:cautious:

Last edited:

take them out and reduce them, then what remains? since so many other car manufacturers don't have the guts nor b**** to put money into racing and risk it! rest of them can certainly learn from VAG and their activities in and around the world, even in countries where no spot light is shed on, VAG helps and supports those with funding! and yes they do profit or will profit from it, but at least they do it! thats how i see it. (example US manufacturers, nickel and dime it and tip toe their way around these series world wide...well have to say, if they could build cars they would be in a better shape and place...and wouldn't have to be bailed out all the time...)
and of course let's not forget how much politics is involved...best example in house BS is Cadillac and Chevy...never see those 2 cars in same series...so they don't step on each others feet.

take them out and reduce them, then what remains? since so many other car manufacturers don't have the guts nor b**** to put money into racing and risk it! rest of them can certainly learn from VAG and their activities in and around the world, even in countries where no spot light is shed on, VAG helps and supports those with funding! and yes they do profit or will profit from it, but at least they do it! thats how i see it. (example US manufacturers, nickel and dime it and tip toe their way around these series world wide...well have to say, if they could build cars they would be in a better shape and place...and wouldn't have to be bailed out all the time...)
and of course let's not forget how much politics is involved...best example in house BS is Cadillac and Chevy...never see those 2 cars in same series...so they don't step on each others feet.
That was written from a pure business perspective and was nit meant negative. I thought VW taking over Porsche would kill the LMP1 program etc. From a business point they might not do the most intelligent thing. From a racing point of view it is nice that all their brands are allowed to build GT3 cars and they have several Cup series and so on.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back