New VR Gaming PC needed?

I currently run as my VR Set up:
MSI Z77 MPower (MS-7751)
CPU Brand Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Module Size: 4 GBytes
Memory Type: DDR3 SDRAM
Module Type: Unbuffered DIMM (UDIMM)
Memory Speed: 800.0 MHz (DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800)
Module Manufacturer: Corsair
Module Part Number: CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
Current Timing (tCAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS): 10-10-10-24
MSI GTX 1080 TI

the issue that I have I can basically almost never get Assetto Corsa to run more than 45 FPS in Multiplayer (no cars in sight) with a GPU utilization of roughly 50%. Single Player with same settings is easy 90 FPS.

Any idea what settings to use to make it better in MP?

CPU is holding you back. I had the same issues. Went from a 2600k @ 4.6ghz to a 8700k @ 5ghz. 90fps all day with most settings maxed out on any MP configuration.

Before upgrading I would over clock the CPU!
IF you got a after market cooler you should have no problems getting to 4.4 Ghz and depending on how well your particular cpu oc.you could get to 4.7 Ghz
Plenty of guides on the internet on this MB and Cpu over clocking.

Also check you do not have a lot of programs and services running in the background.
You could get a 5-10% "overclocking" for free by stopping unneeded services.

If you haven't overclocked your CPU it will give you a performance boost. I had the i7 2600k and overclocking it did help a lot with VR, I was able to get 90fps with that CPU and a 1070 card. But! I did just upgrade my CPU, I had known for a long time that it was a massive bottleneck for VR. I have a 1070 graphics card and it was like a new card when matched with the new CPU.

There are a few guides around for AC graphics too, I'm sure there's some good posts here on racedepartment.

The rumor is that CPU prices are set to go up as Intel is reducing production of the CPUs gamers want to buy, so might be a good time to consider an upgrade.

Thanks guys,
I usually run at @4,4 GHZ but had some issues with Overwatch lately crashing with that setting so I toned it back down. It seems like it is time to upgrade which means an all new rig since the MB cannot take more than what I got for the RAM and it doesn't make sense to run my slow RAM with even more CPU power.

Thanks guys,
It seems like it is time to upgrade which means an all new rig since the MB cannot take more than what I got for the RAM and it doesn't make sense to run my slow RAM with even more CPU power.
I went through the exact same issue only 2 months ago. New MB, CPU and RAM.

what did you end up with for your new rig?
I got an i7 8086K (a special edition of the 8700k) and the gigabyte Z390 Aorus ultra. I went for a Z390 board so I'd have the option of getting one of the 9th gen processors in the future.

I was even a bit worried that any 8th gen processor wouldn't be good enough for the next gen VR titles like ACC. It's too early to tell with ACC, I think I'll be able to get pretty close to maximum settings after I overclock the CPU. It's more than capable with AC.

I probably should have stuck with ASUS for the motherboard, they seem easier to overclock. But I was looking for a board with a lot of USB 3 for VR.

Apparently Intel is going to slow down production of desktop processors to concentrate more on mobile chips. AMD is bringing out some new CPUs soon that might threaten Intels dominance. But from what I've been told Intel processors are still the best for single thread VR, with the 8700K being the best outside of 9th gen.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 325 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 217 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 281 13.4%