New user with some issues running Racer in Wine

Hey everyone, I'm new to Racer but not Sim racing in general, having used Gran Tourismo, Grid and a few others in the past on consoles. Recently I moved to Linux and discovered the beauty of open source software and games. With an old windows box not quite up to the task of gaming, I built a new Linux rig specifically for that purpose (primarily flight sim and driving sims). I saw that Linux support for Racer isn't very strong, however we have wine, so no harm no foul! Unfortunately I am completely unable to get it to run in Wine, or by using playinlinux. Basically when I try to open the exe or the setup file it does nothing. I get the Linux equivalent to the "hourglass" in Windows and then it just stops after a few seconds without opening the program. I also tried the Linux installer package that's available to directly install Racer in Linux without using wine and it does run and complete the installation process, however when I open the .run file, the screen flashes once and that's it- no game launched . Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be the issue? My specs are below. I don't have any issues running other programs in wine and the machine is a new build with only a few other games installed such as Flightgear, and they all work flawlessly under Linux. The build and os install went smoothly and this machine handles everything I can throw at it, so I'm really confused as to what is going on.

Asus m5a99fx pro r2.0
Amd fx 8370
Cooler Master hyper 212 plus
EVGA GTX 970 ftw
Latest Nvidia drivers from xorg
HyperX 2x4gb ddr3 1866 ram
1000W power supply
Samsung 840 Evo 500gb ssd
Linux mint 17.2 Rafaela (cinnamon)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

In the root of the Racer folder there will be a file called qlog.txt

Delete the existing one, and then re-run Racer once (or try)

Then let us know the contents of the newly created qlog.txt file, if it creates one at all that is!

Cheers

Dave

There was no file by that name. Tried to run it again in the hopes that it would create one but no suck luck. I also uninstalled wine and racer through the Synaptics package manager and then reinstalled and got the same results.

What exactly did you do in order to run it? Try to download v. 0.8.44, unpack it, change into the unpacked directory and run "wine racer.exe". If it crashes, post the output in a code block.

Ok, I'll download that version and give it a try tonight when I get home. I tried to run it both by double clicking on the exe file and by running the command you listed in terminal. I also made sure that "run as executable" or whatever that option is in the properties is checked and wine is set as the default program.

Just for laughs and giggles, I installed the latest beta windows version on my rather underpowered windows desktop and it took a lot to get it going. It's still not right either - despite running vcredist_x86, the graphics are still stone age. I was able to get the last stable windows version to run though on the windows machine. So I'm thinking there might be something wrong with the beta files available for download since both Windows and Linux versions don't work correctly.

Ok, got v 0.8.44 running with no problem whatsoever, except I must run screen resolution at 1980X1080 in Nvidia Xserver settings to be able to use the menu navigation buttons, but I don't consider that an inconvenience:) The game looks fantastic and I'm getting around 200 fps with the Nvidia settings maxed out, so I'm stoked. The game looks fantastic despite being an older release- I can't wait to see what 090RC10 looks like when I get it running! Here is my QLOG file:

Code:
Mon Aug 10 23:27:41 (INFO): [racer/36] --- application start ---
Mon Aug 10 23:27:41 (INFO): [racer/36] Racer version: 0.8.44 (Jun 22 2012/16:29:56) - customer: Internet
Mon Aug 10 23:27:42 (INFO): [racer/36] Registration of './openglfilter.ax' successful.
Mon Aug 10 23:27:42 (INFO): [racer/36] DGPUShaderManager: render engine using Cg (4.50 NVIDIA)
Mon Aug 10 23:27:42 (INFO): [racer/36] DFrameLock::SetVSync: set vsync to 0 (verify that it now is 0)
Mon Aug 10 23:27:42 (INFO): [racer/36] Physics engine: NEWTON v2.34, architecture 0
Mon Aug 10 23:27:42 (INFO): [racer/36] FMOD: software format default is rate 48000, fmt 2, outChannels 2, inChannels 6, resampler 1, bits 16
Mon Aug 10 23:27:42 (INFO): [racer/36] FMOD: attempted software format is rate 44100, fmt 2, outChannels 2, inChannels 6, resampler 3, bits 16
Mon Aug 10 23:27:42 (INFO): [racer/36] FMOD: modified software format is rate 44100, fmt 2, outChannels 2, inChannels 6, resampler 3, bits 16
Mon Aug 10 23:27:42 (INFO): [racer/36] Controls: main control file is 'profile2.ini'
Mon Aug 10 23:27:42 (INFO): [racer/36] Safety changed to: SAFE
Mon Aug 10 23:27:47 (INFO): [racer/36] Loading track 'carlswood_nt'
Mon Aug 10 23:27:48 (INFO): [racer/36] QNClient:Connect() attempt to localhost:25000 (RNetwork)
Mon Aug 10 23:27:48 (INFO): [racer/36] QNClient: connected to server (our clientID=71, client name 'RNetwork')
Mon Aug 10 23:27:48 (WARN): [racer/36] No AI found for track carlswood_nt, car lamborghini_murcielago (also no ai/default.ini)
Mon Aug 10 23:27:48 (INFO): [racer/36] Loading car 'lamborghini_murcielago'
Mon Aug 10 23:27:49 (WARN): [racer/36] No AI found for track carlswood_nt, car lamborghini_murcielago (also no ai/default.ini)
Mon Aug 10 23:27:49 (INFO): [racer/36] Loading car 'lamborghini_murcielago'
Mon Aug 10 23:28:38 (INFO): [racer/36] DFrameLock::SetVSync: set vsync to 0 (verify that it now is 0)
Mon Aug 10 23:28:38 (INFO): [racer/36] Physics engine: NEWTON v2.34, architecture 0
Mon Aug 10 23:28:38 (INFO): [racer/36] Controls: main control file is 'profile2.ini'
Mon Aug 10 23:28:39 (INFO): [racer/36] Safety changed to: SAFE

Thanks for the help so far guys. Hopefully in the next few days I'll have this sorted out.

Cheers,
John

I'm glad you got a version running ok.

I'm planning a Win7 and Linux dual boot and aiming to start migrating as many apps across as possible.

My new SSD is arriving in a few days so I can dual boot Linux and Win7, so I'll be sure to be trying out Racer asap in Linux too!

It'd be nice to move away from Windows as much as possible as it's just feeling increasingly like bloat-ware and spy-ware than an actual OS these days, for desktops and workstations especially!

Dave

Please report any problems when running Racer on Linux, since I'm maintaining Arch Linux packages for it, I'd be glad to fix things in these packages as fast as possible. :) And btw, if anybody considers packaging Racer for another distro, I'd glad to help where I can!

I'm glad you got a version running ok.

I'm planning a Win7 and Linux dual boot and aiming to start migrating as many apps across as possible.

My new SSD is arriving in a few days so I can dual boot Linux and Win7, so I'll be sure to be trying out Racer asap in Linux too!

It'd be nice to move away from Windows as much as possible as it's just feeling increasingly like bloat-ware and spy-ware than an actual OS these days, for desktops and workstations especially!

Dave

Agreed on the current state of Windows Mr. Whippy! At first Windows 10 looked great until I examined it closer- it's just a "skin" so to say, on top of Windows 7, but they either removed or buried most of the features I liked the most with Windows, probably to force users down a path MS determines is best for us. Other than the fact that the driver packages for Nvidia and AMD are more robust in Windows, and there are more Marquis titles written for MS, there really isn't a reason to stay there for most of my computing needs. And why can't things just WORK on the MS platform??? It touts ease of use through GUIs but things never work out as intended. Even though Linux is more work to get some things running, things just work and that is what matters the most. Linux has come a long way and virtually all the flavors out there are indeed complete OS's that can replace MS for just about all your computing needs. I'll keep my Windows machine for some legacy applications until such time that they are available on Linux or a suitable replacement is available. Oh, and you'll love the SSD! This is my first and I can't imagine life without it!

Please report any problems when running Racer on Linux, since I'm maintaining Arch Linux packages for it, I'd be glad to fix things in these packages as fast as possible. :) And btw, if anybody considers packaging Racer for another distro, I'd glad to help where I can!

Will do. Should I report them directly to you as I come across them or is there a dedicated thread on this forum? I think there is definitely something wrong with the 0.9.0 RC10 package that's available to download. Maybe some files were messed up when it was uploaded? There is an entire thread from a while back of people who had issues getting it working and when they did, the graphics were poor even after installing vcredist_x86. Just a shot in the dark....

Thanks guys!

OK! I just re-tried the loki linux installer for 0.9.9 RC10 and got a little more progress! It now generates the QLOG.txt file and I pasted the code below. Basically what I'm seeing is I need to install FMOD for the program to run? I tried to install it to the best of my ability but everytime I try to open Racer it looks like it tries to open a window, but it flashes once and thats it. I think perhaps I don't understand how to correctly install the FMOD api, so any guidance would be appreciated. Still no luck running the Windows version in Wine. I might give up on that.
Code:
Tue Aug 11 20:03:17 (INFO ): [racer/5731] --- application start ---
Tue Aug 11 20:03:17 (INFO ): [racer/5731] Racer version: 0.5.4 beta 1 (Feb 20 2008/21:11:21)
Tue Aug 11 20:03:17 (ERR  ): [racer/5731] QFont::Create: can't create font '-*-helvetica-*-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'
Tue Aug 11 20:03:17 (INFO ): [racer/5731] Audio: setting speakermode to -1507828 (<unknown_speakermode>, system default is <unknown_speakermode>)
Tue Aug 11 20:03:17 (WARN ): [racer/5731] FMOD: audio hardware acceleration is OFF. This is really bad for latency; adjusting audio buffers.
Tue Aug 11 20:03:17 (FATAL): [racer/5731] Can't init FMOD (audio system)
Tue Aug 11 20:03:17 (WARN ): [racer/5731] QObjMgr: object 'data/images/counter.tga' still around with 1 reference(s)
Tue Aug 11 20:03:17 (WARN ): [racer/5731] QObjMgr: object 'data/images/rain01.tga' still around with 1 reference(s)

Sorry guys, I was cut off from the internet for several days. And for some reason the email notification for this thread didn't work out.

The 0.90 releases cause problems with AMD video cards from RC6 on, afaik both under Windows and Linux&Wine. Also, in terms of compatibility, most content seems to be optimized for 0.8 series. Therefore I decided to package v. 0.8.44, the latest 0.8 version available and unfortunately have little idea of problems that might arise with 0.90 series...

No, the CPU doesn't matter here, since you have an Nvidia card, everything should be fine even with the latest versions of Racer. If you look around on the net and try to use some of the cars and tracks you should see that most of them work best with 0.8.xx and have, say, some purple spots on later versions. But if you don't notice any problems with the cars and tracks that you are using, you're perfectly fine using the latest version.

More bad news. After downloading cars and tracks from tracciontrasera.es that specifically were tested OK in 8.4, I ran into a host of issues. Virtually none of the cars work. When I try to select a car, it says it only works in 9.XX. As far as tracks, the graphics are intensely "solarized" and the background scenery and sky are blurred. They are virtually unuseable. Is there some critical misstep I'm making here? It seems easy enough to download and extract the .zip files for cars and tracks. I haven't uploaded screen shots to a hosting platform so I can't provide the images, but here is the QLOG.txt code. Seems that I need at least 0.9.0.
Code:
ed Aug 26 22:39:07 (INFO): [racer/36] --- application start ---
Wed Aug 26 22:39:07 (INFO): [racer/36] Racer version: 0.8.44 (Jun 22 2012/16:29:56) - customer: Internet
Wed Aug 26 22:39:07 (INFO): [racer/36] Registration of './openglfilter.ax' successful.
Wed Aug 26 22:39:07 (INFO): [racer/36] DGPUShaderManager: render engine using Cg (4.50 NVIDIA)
Wed Aug 26 22:39:07 (INFO): [racer/36] DFrameLock::SetVSync: set vsync to 0 (verify that it now is 0)
Wed Aug 26 22:39:07 (INFO): [racer/36] Physics engine: NEWTON v2.34, architecture 0
Wed Aug 26 22:39:07 (INFO): [racer/36] FMOD: software format default is rate 48000, fmt 2, outChannels 2, inChannels 6, resampler 1, bits 16
Wed Aug 26 22:39:07 (INFO): [racer/36] FMOD: attempted software format is rate 44100, fmt 2, outChannels 2, inChannels 6, resampler 3, bits 16
Wed Aug 26 22:39:07 (INFO): [racer/36] FMOD: modified software format is rate 44100, fmt 2, outChannels 2, inChannels 6, resampler 3, bits 16
Wed Aug 26 22:39:07 (INFO): [racer/36] Controls: main control file is 'profile2.ini'
Wed Aug 26 22:39:08 (INFO): [racer/36] Safety changed to: SAFE
Wed Aug 26 22:39:11 (INFO): [racer/36] Loading track 'Spa_Francorchamps'
Wed Aug 26 22:39:11 (WARN): [racer/36] RTrack: version (052b8) is too old; need at least 090
Wed Aug 26 22:39:11 (ERR ): [racer/36] QInfo(data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/track.shd); more '}' brackets than '{' near line 17
Wed Aug 26 22:39:12 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'logobrdg' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/logobrdg_cell_0_0.dof' (default 'logobrdg.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:12 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_cranb___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_cranb___e_cell_0_0.dof' (default 'cranb.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:12 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_cranb___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_cranb___e_cell_1_0.dof' (default 'cranb.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:12 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_cranb___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_cranb___e_cell_2_1.dof' (default 'cranb.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:12 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_cranc___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_cranc___e_cell_0_0.dof' (default 'cranc.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:12 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_cranc___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_cranc___e_cell_1_0.dof' (default 'cranc.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:12 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_cranc___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_cranc___e_cell_2_1.dof' (default 'cranc.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:12 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_crana___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_crana___e_cell_0_0.dof' (default 'crana.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:12 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_crana___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_crana___e_cell_1_0.dof' (default 'crana.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:12 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_crana___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_crana___e_cell_2_1.dof' (default 'crana.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:12 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_cranv___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_cranv___e_cell_0_0.dof' (default 'cranv.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:12 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_cranv___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_cranv___e_cell_1_0.dof' (default 'cranv.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:12 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_cranv___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_cranv___e_cell_2_1.dof' (default 'cranv.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:12 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_cranv___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_cranv___e_cell_3_1.dof' (default 'cranv.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:12 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_cranw___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_cranw___e_cell_0_0.dof' (default 'cranw.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:12 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_cranw___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_cranw___e_cell_1_0.dof' (default 'cranw.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:12 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_cranw___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_cranw___e_cell_2_1.dof' (default 'cranw.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:12 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_cranw___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_cranw___e_cell_3_1.dof' (default 'cranw.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_crany___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_crany___e_cell_0_0.dof' (default 'crany.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_crany___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_crany___e_cell_1_0.dof' (default 'crany.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_crany___e' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_crany___e_cell_2_1.dof' (default 'crany.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_gstcamc' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_gstcamc_cell_0_0.dof' (default 'gstcamc.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_gstcamc' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_gstcamc_cell_1_0.dof' (default 'gstcamc.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_gstcamc' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_gstcamc_cell_2_1.dof' (default 'gstcamc.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'treshdow' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/treshdow_cell_0_0.dof' (default 'treshdow.tga')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'fncpost' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/fncpost_cell_0_0.dof' (default 'fncpost.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_fncposts' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_fncposts_cell_0_0.dof' (default 'fncpost.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_fncposts' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_fncposts_cell_0_1.dof' (default 'fncpost.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_fncposts' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_fncposts_cell_0_2.dof' (default 'fncpost.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_fncposts' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_fncposts_cell_1_0.dof' (default 'fncpost.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_fncposts' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_fncposts_cell_1_1.dof' (default 'fncpost.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_fncposts' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_fncposts_cell_1_2.dof' (default 'fncpost.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_fncposts' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_fncposts_cell_2_1.dof' (default 'fncpost.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_fncposts' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_fncposts_cell_2_2.dof' (default 'fncpost.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No shader found for material 'textured_material_fncposts' in 'data/tracks/Spa_Francorchamps/textured_material_fncposts_cell_3_2.dof' (default 'fncpost.bmp')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No surfaces found that match pattern 'gbrmgrv*'
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No surfaces found that match pattern 'rmbl*'
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No surfaces found that match pattern 'rmbl*'
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (INFO): [racer/36] QNClient:Connect() attempt to localhost:25000 (RNetwork)
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (INFO): [racer/36] QNClient: connected to server (our clientID=71, client name 'RNetwork')
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (WARN): [racer/36] No AI found for track Spa_Francorchamps, car lamborghini_murcielago (also no ai/default.ini)
Wed Aug 26 22:39:13 (INFO): [racer/36] Loading car 'lamborghini_murcielago'
Wed Aug 26 22:39:14 (WARN): [racer/36] No AI found for track Spa_Francorchamps, car lamborghini_murcielago (also no ai/default.ini)
Wed Aug 26 22:39:14 (INFO): [racer/36] Loading car 'lamborghini_murcielago'
Wed Aug 26 22:39:46 (INFO): [racer/36] DFrameLock::SetVSync: set vsync to 0 (verify that it now is 0)
Wed Aug 26 22:39:46 (INFO): [racer/36] Physics engine: NEWTON v2.34, architecture 0
Wed Aug 26 22:39:46 (INFO): [racer/36] Controls: main control file is 'profile2.ini'
Wed Aug 26 22:39:46 (INFO): [racer/36] Safety changed to: SAFE

Going by the provided QLOG, the issue isn't with the vehicle but the track version cue instead. From the corresponding track folder, open track.ini and edit the version line to 090 and see if that helps. Similarly, if you get version mismatch messages in the car selection screen already, open the respective vehicle's car.ini and change the version cue accordingly.

The check is really only looking for that one line, originally only meant to encourage people to be aware of the fact that more updating might be required to get old content working in newer betas. There are no general compatibility issues between versions (broadly speaking), all you need is to have a version number that is at least as high as the internal check expects.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 86 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 69 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 42 6.2%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 93 13.7%