New user with some issues running Racer in Wine

Hey everyone, I'm new to Racer but not Sim racing in general, having used Gran Tourismo, Grid and a few others in the past on consoles. Recently I moved to Linux and discovered the beauty of open source software and games. With an old windows box not quite up to the task of gaming, I built a new Linux rig specifically for that purpose (primarily flight sim and driving sims). I saw that Linux support for Racer isn't very strong, however we have wine, so no harm no foul! Unfortunately I am completely unable to get it to run in Wine, or by using playinlinux. Basically when I try to open the exe or the setup file it does nothing. I get the Linux equivalent to the "hourglass" in Windows and then it just stops after a few seconds without opening the program. I also tried the Linux installer package that's available to directly install Racer in Linux without using wine and it does run and complete the installation process, however when I open the .run file, the screen flashes once and that's it- no game launched . Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be the issue? My specs are below. I don't have any issues running other programs in wine and the machine is a new build with only a few other games installed such as Flightgear, and they all work flawlessly under Linux. The build and os install went smoothly and this machine handles everything I can throw at it, so I'm really confused as to what is going on.

Asus m5a99fx pro r2.0
Amd fx 8370
Cooler Master hyper 212 plus
EVGA GTX 970 ftw
Latest Nvidia drivers from xorg
HyperX 2x4gb ddr3 1866 ram
1000W power supply
Samsung 840 Evo 500gb ssd
Linux mint 17.2 Rafaela (cinnamon)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've mostly got my PC working again nicely here, and will give Racer a shot again on Linux (Mint here, but might swap to Arch in the coming months as it's apparently a better way to 'learn' Linux)

I can at least then get things working how I know they should from Windows Racer V090 type versions, in Linux, then we can start getting some consistent running between Win/Linux(Wine)

I'm mainly hoping my G25 Logitech wheel will run ok in Linux!

Dave

It will and there is even a little command line utility to change some settings: https://github.com/thk/LTWheelConf

If you are somewhere between Mint and Arch, Manjaro might be worth considering, it is based on Arch but is quite user friendly. You won't learn as much using Manjaro as you would learn using Arch, but you will get a rolling release distro with AUR access. And of course you can use and test my Racer packages under both Manjaro and Arch. :)

Hi, I'm having some troubles trying to run Racer with Wine, everything looks fine, except when I click on free drive, or race and starts the loading bar. An error message pops up, saying Fatal Error.
I'm using 0.9.0_rc10, _rc8 and 8.44, all of them showing a fatal error related to shaders.
rAr82X3.png

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 319 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 221 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 163 7.9%
  • < 5 years