New to the game, trying to understand pace notes

Hi guys. I just bought the game (it was cheap and well-recommended), drove through most of the training school fairly easily - need more practice on the final stage - so I figured I would try out a championship.

Over the course of the British stages, I thought I had the hang of pacenotes - hairpin/k/medium/fast/easy telling me how sharp the turns are, and the numbers in between describing the straights. But then it moved to Hokkaido... particularly, recce'ing Pirka Menoko. And suddenly taking corners at the speed the GB pacenotes suggested isn't working. Fast turns are maybe 70km/h instead of 100+, mediums are down to 40km/h from 60... the notes just aren't matching how I expect the road to be.

I don't expect to set an amazing pace the first time out on a course, but how do you get used to the difference in pace? And how much variation should I be expecting on what 'fast' means?

Also, I can kinda see what I should be doing to turn in on the fast (left-foot brake or just lift-off oversteer) and slow (handbrake & Scandinavian flick) turns but which techniques work for medium speed corners? It seems like I have to turn the wheel farther than on either fast or slow corners, just to keep the car turning, and it's harder to get a powerslide to go where I want it.

Ok, here's how to do it:

1. Download DATtool and extract the pack to RBR folder. http://www.kegetys.fi/rbr/?p=dattool

2. Drag Audio.dat onto dattool.exe. DATtool will now extract the contents to a new folder called "audio".

3. Browse through the "audio" folder until you see a folder called "Audio" (note the big initial), CUT that folder, go back to RBR main folder, and PASTE.

-> Windows: "You already have a folder called audio or whatever, would you still like to proceed or a phrase to that effect", oh please do.

4. Now you should have the necessary folders and .ini files right there in \RBR\audio\. And you may delete the folder "C#" as useless.

5. To put the finishing touch, rename the original audio.dat to anything you like, for instance:

audio.dat -> audio-original.dat

-----------

Now you can try installing Grist again with the Pacenote Manager. And as with every co-driver mod Rallyesim has integrated to the manager, the co-driver language must indeed be French.

In case the Pacenote Manager isn't compatible with vanilla RBR (quite frankly I don't know), you can use DATtool to extract Grist dat file, and then manually copy-paste the files to Audio folder.

Good luck.

Let this be a lesson to everyone.

I got it to work. I tried it like you explained but it didn't work, then lik you said, I manually overwrote the files. It didn't work and I went looking in the files and listening to the Ogg files and it turned out the co-drivers language had to be English. I don't know if it would've worked with the PaceNote manager or not, as I had the language on French. But I got it to work now :) I downloaded these pacenotes: http://forum.rallyesim.fr/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7701&sid=88cdd96c284fe6e7145a03c5f957daa1

Yes, downloaded it now myself, and indeed it is supposed to replace Reid. My bad, truly didn't see that coming and of course I didn't bother to check.

I don't do checking.

I've only used the Pacenote Manager once years ago but I've been under the impression that Rallyesim have repacked the co-drivers to replace French and I guess that Grist mod is just an isolated case.

In fact, just recently: http://forum.rallyesim.fr/viewtopic.php?p=482940&f=5#p482940

In my opinion, Reid is THE co-driver and in my opinion original ENG co-driver should always be left intact. But mistakes do happen.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 133 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 182 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 358 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 499 39.0%