New to sim racing looking for advice

Hi Everyone,

I am brand new to sim racing and to these forums and I have been looking into investing in to my own rig. I have been looking at the P1-X or Trakracer R80. However, I am still looking in to which model to go ahead with. Hopefully some of you more experienced racers could help me answer a couple of questions I have?

1) Most of the rigs I have been looking at online have key board trays attached to the profile, are these worth having at all?

2) What do you mainly use button boxes for? In most of the previous rigs I have driven I ended up mapped buttons to the steering wheel for brakes/ DRS etc. Just wanted to see if theirs any advantages in investing into a button box set up?

Sorry for what is probably very basic questions, but looking to understand what would give me the right kind of set up. As the price quickly jumps up even before pedals, wheel etc lol

any advise on if these are worthwhile ?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place

Hi Butler,

I hope you don't mind an inexperienced racer replying. I bought the P1-X two months ago. This was my first rig, so I can't compare to anything else.

I'd say the beauty of it is that it's modular and these decisions don't need to be made at the point of purchase.

I don't have a keyboard try, but have a low table next to the rig that I put the keyboard and mouse on when racing. I definitely think you need access to the keyboard and mouse, but don't feel I miss a swivel tray. Additionally as I share the PC for working during the day and gaming in the evenings, I just move the keyboard and mouse from my desk to the table when needed.

I guess the requirement for button boxes are partly dependent on the wheel options you make. Having a button box which is fixed and therefore consistent between different rims sounds great. As I've just started out racing I only have one rim, and it's button rich, so I don't miss not having any button boxes, but who knows. Again, the modular design of the P1-X means if I want to then it should be easy to add it at a later date.

Upvote 0
I removed the keyboard I had on my rig because I never used it. I already have a keyboard on the computer I have on my desk, which is the computer I use for my rig too. Do the sims you are using require typing anything? If you still need using some keys, you can map them to a button box. What I still find neccesary on a rig is a mouse. As regard button boxes, use them if you need them. Do you like or need having a steering wheel with buttons and controls on it (for instance if you race a lot, especially in F1 or GT3)? Is it too populated with controls and want to move some of the less urgent to a separate button box? In my case I have a button box for all the controls I need on my rig (apart from mouse control, and obviously steering, accelerating and braking). My steering wheel is free of buttons because I like it that way and because I never race, so I find it easier to find my controls (with VR and gloves) on my button box rather than on a rotating rim. This setup also let me get rid of the coiled cable, so my steering wheel can rotate freely without worries.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses on this helps me decide on what accs parts I might need when buying my rig. From the sounds of it depending on the amount of buttons on my wheel could possibly mean I do not require a button box, if I am ok mapping them for in game controls. I'm' using an Asher B16m-sc wheel so should have enough buttons for now I guess.

Elaphe makes a great point about being cable free. If I maybe go with a cable free direct drive motor like a simucube sport or pro? I guess this resolves not needing a button box. I can just imagine the cable on other FFB getting wrapped around the wheel?1

Does anyone else have opinions or feedback on if a button box is worth getting? or a keyboard tray for that matter? thanks all , sorry for the questions but It really helps

Upvote 0
I've just seen this, and think it's much more useful than a keyboard tray. I don't use a keyboard while racing / pitting etc. only between races. At that point having it on my lap is perfect. Having it in reach at the side of the rig would be useful.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Unless you want to jump back and forth between your desk and rig, keyboard with tray is a must.
Mouse is a convenience as some keyboards come with touchpad, but they are a hassle to deal with esp. in VR and you'd lose numpad which some sims need.
Seems like trackballs are very popular too as take less room and can be fixed to the rig so they don't move around.

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,

I am brand new to sim racing and to these forums and I have been looking into investing in to my own rig. I have been looking at the P1-X or Trakracer R80. However, I am still looking in to which model to go ahead with. Hopefully some of you more experienced racers could help me answer a couple of questions I have?

1) Most of the rigs I have been looking at online have key board trays attached to the profile, are these worth having at all?

2) What do you mainly use button boxes for? In most of the previous rigs I have driven I ended up mapped buttons to the steering wheel for brakes/ DRS etc. Just wanted to see if theirs any advantages in investing into a button box set up?

Sorry for what is probably very basic questions, but looking to understand what would give me the right kind of set up. As the price quickly jumps up even before pedals, wheel etc lol

any advise on if these are worthwhile ?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place
Welcome. Before purchasing anything, I would review the share your rig thread and watch a bunch of YouTube videos. I wouldn't worry about keyboard placement or button boxes until you get at least a couple months of racing under you belt.

Upvote 0
What about keyboard trays on a motion rig? I ended up not adding the SimLab keyboard tray when I ordered my P1-X because I figured it is going to be bouncing all around and would cause the keyboard the fall off. I haven't recieved the chassis yet so I don't know if it was a good idea to skip the keyboard tray or not.

Anyone with motion using a keyboard tray?

Upvote 0
What about keyboard trays on a motion rig? I ended up not adding the SimLab keyboard tray when I ordered my P1-X because I figured it is going to be bouncing all around and would cause the keyboard the fall off. I haven't recieved the chassis yet so I don't know if it was a good idea to skip the keyboard tray or not.

Anyone with motion using a keyboard tray?
One word: Velcro

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back