New to sim racing, help with computer/monitor selection

Hi all. I'm looking to get into sim racing (iracing) and want to be smart about my initial investment. I don't want to overbuy in case it doesn't turn out to be what I hope it will be for me, but also want to be sure that what I get is good enough to give it a fair shot.

Let's start with the computer and monitor. I currently have a gaming PC that's about 4 years old. I need to purchase a monitor (planning to start with a single monitor to keep costs down). Here's my current computer hardware:
i5-4460
GTX 1060 6GB
512GB SSD
1 TB HDD
16GB DDR3 1600 RAM

This meets the minimum hardware specs for iracing. I don't think this setup will run a 1440p monitor at a very high fps, so thinking with this setup I'd need to stay at 1080p. I'm thinking something like a 29-34" 2560x1080 ultrawide for a decent fov and experience. I'm thinking one with a decent refresh rate (at least 100hz). Thoughts? I've seen some lower end ones (monoprice, sceptre, viotek) that are less than $300 that claim support for g-sync (with the updated nvidia drivers).

I could upgrade the gpu but in doing that I'd also need to upgrade the power supply. So not sure if that's worth it especially with that older i5. I could upgrade the cpu but only to a i7-4790 so again not sure if it's worth it. If upgrading is needed then my thought would be to look at selling off this setup and getting one that is running something a bit newer with a better gpu. If I do that then the question is whether I should re-think the monitor because a newer setup might allow me to go with a 2560x1440 or more ideally a 3440x1440. Thoughts?

I should mention that I do a little bit of other gaming, mostly FPS. I don't know if I'd use this same monitor when doing that. It -might- be better to look at a relatively inexpensive 24" 1080p 144hz monitor for that type of gaming. My current monitor is a nothing special Samsung 23" 60hz so it could use an upgrade and hence the reason I'm looking at monitor options.

Again I am trying to do this on a budget to start with but want something that should be good enough to get started and enjoy.

I'm hoping to put money into one of the fanatec CSL elite/clubsport bundles (wheel and load cell pedals) so that I have a quality experience in that regard. For the cockpit I've not settled on that yet but looking at something like the GTR GTA, GT Omega Pro, or Next Level G-GT. I may need to back those down a bit if I end up having to do some expensive computer upgrades.

I guess the bottom line questions are:
1) Should I stay with my current computer hardware or upgrade?
2) Single monitor recommendations if I stay with current hardware?
3) If I need to upgrade the computer, single monitor recommendations?
4) Any other feedback on my fanatec, cockpit setup.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/guidance/feedback.

Well... you may as well give you current set up a shot before buying new for it. If I were you, I think I would put my money into a rig, wheel base, and pedals first. Like you said, you can feel it out and make sure you are having fun.

With load cell pedals, you will want to make sure you have a rig that will not flex when you push the brake. My old cheap playseat flexes like crazy and I wish I had spent a bit more on that to begin with. You really want a rig with as little flex as possible. Something to keep in mind.

I can understand wanting a monitor with a faster refresh rate, which would have benefits in your FPS games as well. In order to benefit from a faster monitor though, your system has to be able to push the frames. If you are going to run on graphics settings that only get you around 60 frames per second, a faster monitor has little impact.

As far as the ultrawide, a lot of people like them for a wider FOV which is nice. You have to remember that they are more pixels too, so it will need a faster CPU/GPU to take advantage of. 1440 ultra wide has a lot more pixels then your 1080 screen, so if you go that direction, you will probably end up wanting more power. Another thing to consider with ultrawides is that a lot of stuff is not formatted for ultrawide. If you go to watch a Youtube video on it for example, it will convert to 16:9 and you will have big boxes on either side. Not the end of the world, just a reality of using an ultrawide.

Upvote 0
Where are you located?

For the rig "chassis money" you are looking to spend on the three options mentioned (GTR GTA, GT Omega Pro, or Next Level G-GT) you can buy a much more stable and yet more configurable 80/20-style aluminum extrusion rig and pair it with a used passenger car seat or even an entry level used racing seat. There are several good T-slot aluminum profile rig vendors in the US, UK, and continental Europe; several are Race Department (RD) members. If you are handy and want the satisfaction of building one yourself, any number of plans and examples are available--I have built several, but sometimes all inclusive rigs are actually cheaper because the builders buy in bulk. But rig shipping can also be prohibitive. There are any number of helpful posts on this subject here on RD.

Having owned both Thrustmaster and Fanatec gear, I would definitely favor Fanatec at your budget--don't skimp on pedals.

Good luck and Godspeed!

Upvote 0
Thanks Clover11 for your thoughts and for taking the time to respond. Yeah I’m wondering if I could get away with a 2560x1080 monitor with my current setup. There are some pretty good sales with Black Friday. Can get a high refresh 30” for about $300. Not large but not sure if I’d want to go much larger at just 1080p. My other option is to get a 32-34” 3440x1440 monitor for future proofing and run it at lower res of 2560x1080 if needed (probably so with current hardware) but haven’t been able to determine if stepping down the res results in the same quality at 2560x1080 as monitors that run at that res natively.

Planning to go with a Fanatec setup for wheel and pedals.

I’m leaning towards the GT Omega Pro cockpit but the only model left is without a seat so I’d need to figure out a seat to add to it.

I don’t know how the GTR GTA cockpit compares but they are still in stock it appears.

Upvote 0
Ruttman, thanks for the reply and info. I’m in US (PNW). I’ll check out the 80/20 rigs.

Glad to hear you and others feeling Fanatec a good starting point for wheel/pedals.

Upvote 0
As someone said, dont skimp on pedals, they're even more important than the wheel in terms of laptime.

For the ready-to-go rigs, go 80/20. They provide the best stiffness and customizing options at reasonable prices. Or you could build your own. I did, out of wood. Its cheap, but the real advantage is that you can customize the position of everything to your exact needs. I did that and got rid of the knee pain I've experienced when I drove from a desktop.

Upvote 0
Thanks Jan. I'll look at 80/20. Being new it's kind of hard to know exactly what I will want in a rig and that was one of the reasons I was trying to find a decent entry level cockpit such as the GT Omega Pro. Perhaps 80/20 is a better way to go. I'll check it out.

Upvote 0
If you are on a budget, don't under estimate what you can do with wood. I think you can put together something very usable with some 2x4s and plywood.

My rig that I have been driving around for over a decade is made from a 2x4 base that the seat and pedals are mounted to, a cut up desk that holds the monitors, and a stand made from 2x4s and plywood for a wheel mount. I have a small table on my right that my mouse is on.

It is ugly, but it is very functional and adjustable. When I wanted to add a handbrake or shifter, just screw on a extension here or there.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure 80/20 is very nice, but if you are on a budget it would be one area to cut costs until you know what you want.

Upvote 0
Okay, so the boss says no 2x4/plywood rig because it will likely spend time in our family room. Happy Wife Happy Life so keeping that in mind. Trying to stay in the price range of < $500 if possible. I like the GT Omega Pro from what I've read but would need to come up with a Seat as they don't have any seat options left. So would need to find something that would bolt up easily and no break the bank if I go that route. I've read mixed reviews on the GTR GTA rig but they have seats in stock with theirs. I need to explore 80/20...was a bit overwhelming initially because I don't exactly know what I want to build yet.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back