New to rFactor 2

Chris

Premium
Hey guys!

My name's Chris and some of you may know me from the Assetto Corsa section of RD. After much fence sitting, I've finally taken the plunge into ISI territory and am looking to learn the ropes of rF2 (as there's a lot to it!) if some of you would be so gracious as to help me out? :) Yes, I still love Assetto Corsa and will still be organising weekly club races with it, however I thought I'd broaden my horizons and get stuck into some serious endurance racing (something that is not currently possible in AC) in rF2.

I've got the game mostly sorted, however there are a couple of areas that still confuse me...

Firstly, is there a way to increase the strength of the FFB coming through the wheel? Out of the box the FFB feels good, however a tad light. Is there a way to increase the strength of the FFB? I'm using a Thrustmaster T300 btw.

Secondly, what are some of the mods that you would recommend that I get? I see the Enduracers Porsche mod has been released so I've gotten that. I know the modding side of rF2 is vast in size, but if I could have a list of the best cars and tracks to get, that would be great :)

Finally, as the RDLMS will be taking place later on in 2016, I am looking to get an all-Australian team together to hopefully take it to the Northern Hemisphere chaps :p If you're interested (and Australian of course) then drop me a message :)

Looking forward to seeing you on track, and thanks in advance for helping out an ISI newb :)

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Fanatec CSWV2/Formula Rim.
This is my controller settings. The one that goes in the controllers folder.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a6sb0lyxd9oratp/FSR_July_2015A.JSON?dl=0
I run the FISI with about 15 deg lock in garage menu, 480 deg in wheel menu.

Other notes:
Most players I know have not tinkered with the many settings in the main controller JSON. All I re-set were the kerb and collision effects. I really dont think that its expected or required (as for exampls in PCARS, ducks head!). If you do go making changes there keep a copy of the original file.
Make sure you are not getting clipping. There is a plugin that will show you.
Make sure that the correct maximum torque of your wheel is correct in the controller JSON. CSWV2 is 7nm.
Ensure you have some rubber down and that you get some heat into your tyres. These two factors have a big impact on the grip and hence FFB.
Maybe increase Caster a little too.

I also stongly recommend Realheadmotion plugin.

One more tip. Sometimes when windows updates on your PC the 3 JSON files (player, mutiplayer and controller) will be wiped. You will know this has happened as on startup it will say "unsupported file type JSON". To avoid this headache make a copy of your JSON files and put them on a stick or at least in a totally separate folder in my documents.

This is very interesting one David, I have T500 and as far as I know, the max torque for my wheel is 6nm but in the controller JSON I have it set to 2.5nm (which the is value for G27 I believe) and minimum set to 0.06. Doesn't look right does it?
"Steering torque capability":2.5,
"Steering torque minimum":0.06,

This is very interesting one David, I have T500 and as far as I know, the max torque for my wheel is 6nm but in the controller JSON I have it set to 2.5nm (which the is value for G27 I believe) and minimum set to 0.06. Doesn't look right does it?
"Steering torque capability":2.5,
"Steering torque minimum":0.06,
As far as i know that makes the sim meter it out as if the wheel can only handle x. So just correct it.

Post from ISI on "Steering torque capability":
"Whatever value you're putting in there there'll be NO difference, unless you're wheel is capable to exceed the vehicle NMST. The range it's usually > 10Nm and can reach more than 30Nm for some car contents.

For example, you have a T500 with an average max Torque of 6Nm.

You put 6Nm in the .JSON and then you load a clio with 10Nm (or 12, don't remember). The setting do nothing. You then load a Camaro with 40Nm of NMST, again do nothing. AFAIK there are no cars using a NMST lower than 10.

So, if YourWheelTorque is <= 10/12Nm then there is no need to set the Steering Torque Capability. That's why it's useless to specify your T500 wheel value, as well for G27 or Elite etc... they're not capable to exceed the NMST of any car mod."

"Whatever value you're putting in there there'll be NO difference, unless you're wheel is capable to exceed the vehicle NMST. The range it's usually > 10Nm and can reach more than 30Nm for some car contents.

You put 6Nm in the .JSON and then you load a clio with 10Nm (or 12, don't remember). The setting do nothing. You then load a Camaro with 40Nm of NMST, again do nothing. AFAIK there are no cars using a NMST lower than 10.

So, if YourWheelTorque is <= 10/12Nm then there is no need to set the Steering Torque Capability. That's why it's useless to specify your T500 wheel value, as well for G27 or Elite etc... they're not capable to exceed the NMST of any car mod."
hi to all i have no probs with ffb as i have osw dd wheel jason set to 20nm ifeel every ripple. bump . on the road .. brake lock up no problem .. just gets a bit lighter as i slide of into never never land he he ..

Interesting. I increased mine to 7nm and it made a noticeable difference, I even feel bumps when I go off-road now and had to decrease the FFB multiplier in cars I had already setup because they got a bit heavier.

Maybe you need to tell ISI there're wrong :D

I'm not really trying to say that, but there's no doubt it made a difference on my CSW V2. I mean, like a night and day difference, not just "umm, yeah, I think there might be a subtle change there". One of the biggest differences is during my many off-road excursions, earlier I had been commenting that I felt nothing when I went off-road but now I feel all kinds of stuff when mowing the grass. But it seemed to make improvements in the entire steering range too, not just the off-road behavior.

I'm not really trying to say that, but there's no doubt it made a difference on my CSW V2. I mean, like a night and day difference, not just "umm, yeah, I think there might be a subtle change there". One of the biggest differences is during my many off-road excursions, earlier I had been commenting that I felt nothing when I went off-road but now I feel all kinds of stuff when mowing the grass. But it seemed to make improvements in the entire steering range too, not just the off-road behavior.
hi brandon i suggest that you find out what nm a csw2 puts out i think it is in the region of 7 t0 8nm then set your jason file to that amount of nm....my osw can deliver 20 nm but nearly rips your arms of at that setting so i dial it back a bit in the game settings

hi brandon i suggest that you find out what nm a csw2 puts out i think it is in the region of 7 t0 8nm then set your jason file to that amount of nm....my osw can deliver 20 nm but nearly rips your arms of at that setting so i dial it back a bit in the game settings

That's what I did. The CSW V2 puts out around 7nm (I think it's like 7.2 or something?) so I put that into the json file based on a recommendation in this thread, and it made a difference for the better. I guess ISI says that changing that value has no effect, but I could certainly notice an effect.

That's what I did. The CSW V2 puts out around 7nm (I think it's like 7.2 or something?) so I put that into the json file based on a recommendation in this thread, and it made a difference for the better. I guess ISI says that changing that value has no effect, but I could certainly notice an effect.
brandon if you put 7nm in your jason file and your wheel can deliver 7nm YOU WILL GET 7nm i think cswv2 has the highest ffb of all the non direct drive wheels ..but i guess it is nice to feel all the road details now

brandon if you put 7nm in your jason file and your wheel can deliver 7nm YOU WILL GET 7nm i think cswv2 has the highest ffb of all the non direct drive wheels ..but i guess it is nice to feel all the road details now

I'm pretty sure it's in the 7-7.5 range so that's what I set it to (default was 2.5). Am I doing something wrong? It feels better to me than with the 2.5 setting.

I'm pretty sure it's in the 7-7.5 range so that's what I set it to (default was 2.5). Am I doing something wrong? It feels better to me than with the 2.5 setting.
brandon you are doing it the correct way ...i bet your wheel feels stronger now with much more ffb ..i do not know why some one told you that you can not change you nm in the jason file but you can .but not to more nm than the wheel can deliver .. so enjoy your new 7nm wheel he he

with 2.5nm (deault setting in JSON file), the FFB felt very "choppy" if that makes sense. Moving to 6 (T500 here) made it not so much stronger but more progressive and smooth (not dampened)
hard to explain with words how something feels and don't know what ISI is recommending but I'd advise anyone to try and see for themselves :)

brandon you are doing it the correct way ...i bet your wheel feels stronger now with much more ffb ..i do not know why some one told you that you can not change you nm in the jason file but you can .but not to more nm than the wheel can deliver .. so enjoy your new 7nm wheel he he

I was just going by the comment posted above showing ISI said adjusting this doesn't make any difference. I'm new to rF2 so I'm still learning all this stuff. But like Galin says it feels more complete now, like the blanks have been filled in.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 298 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 424 39.6%