New to rFactor 2

Chris

Premium
Hey guys!

My name's Chris and some of you may know me from the Assetto Corsa section of RD. After much fence sitting, I've finally taken the plunge into ISI territory and am looking to learn the ropes of rF2 (as there's a lot to it!) if some of you would be so gracious as to help me out? :) Yes, I still love Assetto Corsa and will still be organising weekly club races with it, however I thought I'd broaden my horizons and get stuck into some serious endurance racing (something that is not currently possible in AC) in rF2.

I've got the game mostly sorted, however there are a couple of areas that still confuse me...

Firstly, is there a way to increase the strength of the FFB coming through the wheel? Out of the box the FFB feels good, however a tad light. Is there a way to increase the strength of the FFB? I'm using a Thrustmaster T300 btw.

Secondly, what are some of the mods that you would recommend that I get? I see the Enduracers Porsche mod has been released so I've gotten that. I know the modding side of rF2 is vast in size, but if I could have a list of the best cars and tracks to get, that would be great :)

Finally, as the RDLMS will be taking place later on in 2016, I am looking to get an all-Australian team together to hopefully take it to the Northern Hemisphere chaps :p If you're interested (and Australian of course) then drop me a message :)

Looking forward to seeing you on track, and thanks in advance for helping out an ISI newb :)

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

I always wonder why people make this statement when talking about rF2 like it is truly unique and the only one where this is possible.

Nate, just for information.
rf2 = no canned effects possible (for the end user)
others = canned effects possible

On or off, those effects are part of the sim and valid information is not received based on any physical interaction apart from whether it is time to play the effect, regardless of whether it is on or not.

@Chris, I'm an open wheel guy but this car has me hooked. The more you race against the AI, the more you will be astonished at the abilities, reactions... the humanness of them. Starting midfield at %100 at most tracks, I'll make it to 10th or so and then it's a game of staying on their tail while defending from behind. Truly, the closest I've ever felt to on track racing.

Hey guys, probably a silly question, but how do I change my single player profile name?
Whenever I'm in SP my driver name appears as "Your Name (1)".

I've done the %appdata% thing and I assume that works for MP, or is there no way to change it in SP?

Cheers :)

Hey Chris, that should show up automatically from your rf2 registration. If not go into player.json In driver section it says "player name" just type in whatever they call you Aussies :D

ex: C:\RF2 1028\UserData\player

There is quite a few things you can play with in the controller JSON file. I lowered the kerb effects as they were scaring me off them too much.

I'm new to rF2 and also have a new CSW V2 and I too find that with some cars the kerbs are frightening, I'm sure my neighbors think I'm using a jackhammer because it literally shakes my whole rig. I wasn't aware this could be adjusted. If I may ask, where do I find this controller JSON file and what else can be adjusted? I find that with most cars the wheel is too light in the middle and way too heavy in the turns (sometimes it's almost impossible to turn the wheel more than ~90 degrees) and I'd be very happy if there was a way to fine tune this to get a more even distribution of the weight across the wheel.

I'm new to rF2 and also have a new CSW V2 and I too find that with some cars the kerbs are frightening, I'm sure my neighbors think I'm using a jackhammer because it literally shakes my whole rig. I wasn't aware this could be adjusted. If I may ask, where do I find this controller JSON file and what else can be adjusted? I find that with most cars the wheel is too light in the middle and way too heavy in the turns (sometimes it's almost impossible to turn the wheel more than ~90 degrees) and I'd be very happy if there was a way to fine tune this to get a more even distribution of the weight across the wheel.
Its in my documents/Rfactor2/userdata/player/controller.
There is a section on force feedback effects such as jolt magnitude, canned kerb effect and others. They are the only 2 I adjusted. There are suggested ranges in there. I went to the lower end of the ranges.

If you are finding the wheel too heavy in turns you can lower the vehicle specific FFB amount in the controller settings when in the garage. In most cars I have between 65-70%.
There is always much more force when you are turning as there is force at the wheels-steering rack-wheel. Not sure if its tunable but, when there's more force you want more force so..not sure its the way forwards.

Its in my documents/Rfactor2/userdata/player/controller.
There is a section on force feedback effects such as jolt magnitude, canned kerb effect and others. They are the only 2 I adjusted. There are suggested ranges in there. I went to the lower end of the ranges.

If you are finding the wheel too heavy in turns you can lower the vehicle specific FFB amount in the controller settings when in the garage. In most cars I have between 65-70%.
There is always much more force when you are turning as there is force at the wheels-steering rack-wheel. Not sure if its tunable but, when there's more force you want more force so..not sure its the way forwards.

Thanks, I'll try to check it out this evening. I've been using the vehicle specific FFB adjustment but if I lower it to where it's not too heavy in the turns then it becomes very numb and light around the center (about 45 degrees in either direction) and that makes it really difficult to tell what the car is doing and my driving becomes imprecise. I realize there should be force/weight in the turns and that's what I prefer (I like a bit of a heavy wheel), but I don't want it so heavy that I can't turn it and I don't want to have to sacrifice detail in the other ranges of steering.

Also, is there a way to save the vehicle specific FFB setting? I'll get it adjusted in one car to where I like it, then when I take the car out the next day it's reset back to 100 and I have to try to remember what I had set it to previously.

Thanks for your help.

Its prob been mentioned here cant be bothered going through whole thread, However the light feel ppl getting in center of wheel with FFB, has to be min force setting, crank it up to the point that the wheel ever so oscillates when not holding, dont worry its only when sat still without hands on wheel, the oscillation wont effect turning, i can even let go of wheel on straights easily.

And yeah,on cheaper wheels its always a case of compromise, either light with lots of detail, or a more realistic "heavier" feel but lose detail in FFB, it can be mod\car specific as well, try Makcorps group C mod, and that appears to achive a heavy wheel while maintaining most detail.

Edit: Chris did I talk to you in game (RF2, Porsche, canadian tire)about name issue? be good to get to know fellers racing in rf2 my side of world.

Its prob been mentioned here cant be bothered going through whole thread, However the light feel ppl getting in center of wheel with FFB, has to be min force setting, crank it up to the point that the wheel ever so oscillates when not holding, dont worry its only when sat still without hands on wheel, the oscillation wont effect turning, i can even let go of wheel on straights easily.

And yeah,on cheaper wheels its always a case of compromise, either light with lots of detail, or a more realistic "heavier" feel but lose detail in FFB, it can be mod\car specific as well, try Makcorps group C mod, and that appears to achive a heavy wheel while maintaining most detail.

Edit: Chris did I talk to you in game (RF2, Porsche, canadian tire)about name issue? be good to get to know fellers racing in rf2 my side of world.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I know I used to use the min force setting in AC to get the weight of the wheel the way I liked it, but I recently upgraded to a CSW V2 and most of what I've read about that says to have min force at zero so I've been trying it out like that to start with. But I'm not entirely satisfied with it so I'll start tinkering with the min force.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I know I used to use the min force setting in AC to get the weight of the wheel the way I liked it, but I recently upgraded to a CSW V2 and most of what I've read about that says to have min force at zero so I've been trying it out like that to start with. But I'm not entirely satisfied with it so I'll start tinkering with the min force.
true

I turned up the min force a couple notches and edited a few things in the controller.json last night and had a go, it seems to feel more how I like. I only tried a couple mod cars (Ferrari and Flat6) but both of them felt really good and I lost myself in them while hot lapping different tracks. The wheel had weight in all the right places and responded the way I would expect it to. Still more experimenting to do, but I've made positive progress.

Thanks for the tips. :thumbsup:

I turned up the min force a couple notches and edited a few things in the controller.json last night and had a go, it seems to feel more how I like. I only tried a couple mod cars (Ferrari and Flat6) but both of them felt really good and I lost myself in them while hot lapping different tracks. The wheel had weight in all the right places and responded the way I would expect it to. Still more experimenting to do, but I've made positive progress.

Thanks for the tips. :thumbsup:
im interested brandon what changes, seriously if i could get a better feel in the FFB i serisouly wouldnt need many more sims, but this makes me go elsewhere regardless of how realistic rf2 think it is.

im interested brandon what changes, seriously if i could get a better feel in the FFB i serisouly wouldnt need many more sims, but this makes me go elsewhere regardless of how realistic rf2 think it is.

I am not sure what exactly your issues with the FFB are as I haven't followed the RF2 forums much (maybe you have shared that before)
Increasing the min force basically removes the initial lightness of the wheel which feels almost like a deadzone but it really is not that (I had G27 so I know a deadzone when I see one :p). So you start feeling the forces without any delay and steering feels more direct if that makes sense. I am running 3-5% with my T500 depending on the car and am really happy with it.

nah its nothing to do with min force, i have that set as 5%. Thats a lot for a t300. Its a issue i find in the physics/ffb, where basically if you get a slow hairpin i get a good amount of aligning torque on my wheel. BUt if i get a fast sweeping corner, and turn in theres hardly any resistance (definitly less than i expect) on the wheel, no force to suggest my tyres are pushing against thier walls. Its hard to explain.
But ive had acknowledgement from someone in the know about rf2 ffb, and he agrees there is a issue there.

nah its nothing to do with min force, i have that set as 5%. Thats a lot for a t300. Its a issue i find in the physics/ffb, where basically if you get a slow hairpin i get a good amount of aligning torque on my wheel. BUt if i get a fast sweeping corner, and turn in theres hardly any resistance (definitly less than i expect) on the wheel, no force to suggest my tyres are pushing against thier walls. Its hard to explain.
But ive had acknowledgement from someone in the know about rf2 ffb, and he agrees there is a issue there.

Hmm, not sure :/ It feels good at my end. If you try to provoke the car at high speeds wheel is still light? I am sure you have also experimented with your wheel settings but just for a reference, I am running Constant and Periodic at 100% and Overall at 60%. Try also to play with the wheel centering option in profile. By default is set to "by the game" but try with "by the wheel" option with 0%. I was running AC until few builds ago with that option because the SAT was just stupid.
The only problem with the FFB I have is under braking! Basically there is 0 feel when wheels are locked which is pretty bad. AC is by far the best in terms of FFB under braking and if someone has a suggestion how to improve that RF2 will be much appreciated.

difference of opinion, i have no probel under braking, its just not a canned effect they have added. Ive tried a lot, but with other great sims, as i said rf2 isnt the be and end of all of sims. (it could be). basically in fast grip corners you have too much play in the wheel as if front wheels on ice. It needs more alighing torque to force the wheel back to ythe direction of travel.

That's partly what I was getting too, and increasing the min force made it feel a lot better. I know there's a "recommended" base setting for min force most of the time, but I've had better results by going a bit above that or just adjusting it to taste. And I don't think 5% is a lot for a t300, when I was using my t300 I ran it through the wheelcheck program and it recommended 7-8% but in AC I found I preferred closer to 10% to get rid of unwanted lightness, so I learned to ignore what the recommended setting was and just go with what felt right. Crank it up a bit and see if it feels better for you.

As far as other changes, I edited a couple things in the controller.json file. I forget what they were exactly, I know one was lowering the jolt (thinking this would make the curbs less harsh but I'm not sure if that happened) and the other was something about a friction coefficient which I increased (no idea what it does but I felt like I needed a bit more friction so I upped it a bit). There are a lot of other settings in there too, I have no clue what most of them do but some of them looked very interesting.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 184 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 363 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 504 39.0%