New to rFactor 2

Chris

Premium
Hey guys!

My name's Chris and some of you may know me from the Assetto Corsa section of RD. After much fence sitting, I've finally taken the plunge into ISI territory and am looking to learn the ropes of rF2 (as there's a lot to it!) if some of you would be so gracious as to help me out? :) Yes, I still love Assetto Corsa and will still be organising weekly club races with it, however I thought I'd broaden my horizons and get stuck into some serious endurance racing (something that is not currently possible in AC) in rF2.

I've got the game mostly sorted, however there are a couple of areas that still confuse me...

Firstly, is there a way to increase the strength of the FFB coming through the wheel? Out of the box the FFB feels good, however a tad light. Is there a way to increase the strength of the FFB? I'm using a Thrustmaster T300 btw.

Secondly, what are some of the mods that you would recommend that I get? I see the Enduracers Porsche mod has been released so I've gotten that. I know the modding side of rF2 is vast in size, but if I could have a list of the best cars and tracks to get, that would be great :)

Finally, as the RDLMS will be taking place later on in 2016, I am looking to get an all-Australian team together to hopefully take it to the Northern Hemisphere chaps :p If you're interested (and Australian of course) then drop me a message :)

Looking forward to seeing you on track, and thanks in advance for helping out an ISI newb :)

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Ahh, you're right... I had clicked it when testing not realizing I used a screenshot of that for my so-called "guide" - my bad. The standard UI and the Black Edition UI both use a"Check Mark" to enable and an "X" when disabled.
View attachment 115815

hu, :O_o: It looks like it's the other way around in your UI. (not sure :barefoot:)

Vehicle set on ==> Steering range isn't adjustable ==> It makes use of the rotation set by the modder.
Vehicle set on.jpg

Vehicle set is off ==> Steering range is adjustable with the arrows ==> you can adjust/override the rotation.
Vehicle set off.jpg

187 degrees is for the go-karts. It's a different value for other cars. Unless you override it.

@Chris Stacey : hint...
When you do endurance race with a driver swap, your team uses the same car setup. (The setup transfers to the other driver during the driver swap)
It might be possible that your team members likes a tide (high) steering lock or a low steering lock.
By adjusting this value you can adjust the steering range/lock to your wishes and still use the same setup. ;)

Race car wheels are loads heavier than your average roadcar. Due to no power steering sometimes in rf2 it feels like there's too much power steering.

I've reinstalled rf2 many times. I had a word with drripper of the ffb thread on Isi forum. And he did agree there is a slight phenomen with rf2 ffb in which how I describe. Its not nothing major bit for me its enuf to send me to another sim. I'm awaiting a solution from him.

Race car wheels are loads heavier than your average roadcar. Due to no power steering sometimes in rf2 it feels like there's too much power steering.

I've reinstalled rf2 many times. I had a word with drripper of the ffb thread on Isi forum. And he did agree there is a slight phenomen with rf2 ffb in which how I describe. Its not nothing major bit for me its enuf to send me to another sim. I'm awaiting a solution from him.
Great thanks Dan, see you on another sim.

Could I jump on this bandwagon:)
The Flat6 mod and a rather tasty Mosport track finally persuaded me to fire this up and have a blast. Although it feels pretty damn good I'm sure that with a properly dialled in wheel it would be better. I've used David Turnbull's setting to get me started and I wondered if with the various updates they still held true. Something just doesn't feel quite right although still very drivable and fun. I have a G25. Any help much appreciated in fact I will happily send anyone a virtual beer.:)

Some usefull hotkey's:

"ctrl-x" : time accelaration: to get rubber buid-up more quickly. A decent real-road has a big influence on your FFB and grip feeling.

"ctrl-f" : it shows you your FPS on screen
In my experience everything above 60 is OK. With a big grid it could drop to 40 at the start. But it should rise above 60 once the field spreads out.

Hi everyone, another newbie to rF2 here. Got to admit I had bought it when it first hit Steam, but got a refund ... What's brought me back? Stock cars mainly, and the allure of better racing above R3E and AC.

I'm still trying to set the HUD/view the way I like and get comfortable with the UI ... Got most of the controls mapped to my liking, but going to need plenty of practice with pitting etc.

So far I've done several practice sessions with the stock cars, including pit-in for tires. However, a successful release from the pits has evaded me ... probably a confirm [release] button I've not assigned!?

Not even started to tweak the FFB yet, but it feels good so far [T500 RS] ... hopefully this is the start of a long racing relationship :D

Some usefull hotkey's:

"ctrl-x" : time accelaration: to get rubber buid-up more quickly. A decent real-road has a big influence on your FFB and grip feeling.

"ctrl-f" : it shows you your FPS on screen
In my experience everything above 60 is OK. With a big grid it could drop to 40 at the start. But it should rise above 60 once the field spreads out.
Thanks Yves :) legend!

Now that Christmas is done I'll get stuck into some of the hints and tips you lads have provided. Thanks again guys :inlove:

Welcome Chris,
Couple of things that have not been mentioned so far and may help with steering feel....
-Increasing caster will increase FFB forces. It increases the leverage the road wheel (and its forces) has on the steering rack
-Increasing front tyre pressures a little seems to also. I think its called "pneumatic trail".
-Lowering steering lock gives me more feel of the steering. I lower it as much as possible as long as I can make the tightest corner on track without braeking my thumbs with more than `180deg rotation of my wheel.

Remember that RF2 contains no "canned" steering effects to it might be eeerily quiet if there are none. You can tune how the forces are presented to you but if nothing is happening....nothing will arrive.
There is quite a few things you can play with in the controller JSON file. I lowered the kerb effects as they were scaring me off them too much.
People have pretty much covered the great cars.
Plugins: I love the real head motion plugin. It just raises the immersion to a new level and helps you get this inate feel as to where the cars weight is going. Lowered my error rate hugely.
Hope to see you on track soon.

Lastly. I am also an Aussie who loves Endurance Racing. Keep in touch.

A differance between AC and rF2.
The degree of rotation of your wheel is different per car in rF2.

It's important to allow the game to controle this setting in the profiler.
With AC you set the same (fixed) rotation ingame as in your profiler.

For logitec it's the last option: allow game to adjust settings: it must be ticked.
What if you don't run the profiler, does that cause a problem?

Remember that RF2 contains no "canned" steering effects to it might be eeerily quiet if there are none.

I always wonder why people make this statement when talking about rF2 like it is truly unique and the only one where this is possible.

It's really not. Every other sim can do this, usually with a plethora of more options to better fine tune how the wheel feels (without going through a bunch of extremely confusing .ini files, or was it .json?, just to make a minor change).

AC has no canned effects unless you enable them.
GSCE has no canned effects unless you enable them by setting the FFB forces to anything above 'low" in the config menu.
iR has no canned effects to my knowledge, although Im not the most familiar with the sim.
R3E has no canned effects unless you enable them.
pCARS... umm, well, who knows whether they have the option of no canned effects because their FFB setup makes no sense whatsoever. lol

It really is mildly annoying to see this statement perpetuated everywhere like no other sim can be used without having canned effects. Im pretty sure they all can.

Cheers

I always wonder why people make this statement when talking about rF2 like it is truly unique and the only one where this is possible.

It's really not. Every other sim can do this, usually with a plethora of more options to better fine tune how the wheel feels (without going through a bunch of extremely confusing .ini files, or was it .json?, just to make a minor change).

AC has no canned effects unless you enable them.
GSCE has no canned effects unless you enable them by setting the FFB forces to anything above 'low" in the config menu.
iR has no canned effects to my knowledge, although Im not the most familiar with the sim.
R3E has no canned effects unless you enable them.
pCARS... umm, well, who knows whether they have the option of no canned effects because their FFB setup makes no sense whatsoever. lol

It really is mildly annoying to see this statement perpetuated everywhere like no other sim can be used without having canned effects. Im pretty sure they all can.

Cheers
Thanks for your contribution to this thread. I'm sure the OP will value it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back