New To Racing Sims

I searched for a topic like this but didn't see one. If I missed it, sorry.

I am new to racing sims and I am just looking for general advice on a good or efficient way to progress and learn? Stick to one car? One track? Avoid messing with car setups, or jump in right away? Those sort of things.

Thanks!

Welcome to the the obsession. I only started a while ago as well. Just personal but I just tried playing around hotlapping (until it gets boring) and testing a few cars at stock. Became a big fan of a few such as the MP4-12C after learning its personality. Do you have a preference for any type or manufacturer of car?

Edit: Also what equipment are you running as there are a load of folks with good info on wheel settings etc which can really help get to grips and learn to 'feel' the cars and tracks better.

Last edited:
Welcome to the the obsession. I only started a while ago as well. Just personal but I just tried playing around hotlapping (until it gets boring) and testing a few cars at stock. Became a big fan of a few such as the MP4-12C after learning its personality. Do you have a preference for any type or manufacturer of car?

Edit: Also what equipment are you running as there are a load of folks with good info on wheel settings etc which can really help get to grips and learn to 'feel' the cars and tracks better.

I don't have a wheel right now, just using a console controller hooked up to my computer. I thought I would try to get the hang of it and see how "serious" I wanted to become before researching wheels and investing in one.

As far as manufacturers go, Citroën has been my favorite since Subaru folded their team but that is largely because until recently the WTCC and WRC were the only FIA-related racing I actually followed. After a friend showed me some Formula stuff recently I am getting more interested in it.

yeah -- what, if any, race sim games do you have ?

and what, if any, are you using for input? wheel or pad i assume.

I am using a pad. And the only pseudo-sim game I have played is the Gran Turismo series, which I am aware is not an actual sim. Most of my racing has been with more Grid/Dirt style arcade racers.

Awesome, thanks! I will definitely read them.

You may not want to hear this, but there's really not much point (I would personally say there's none) in trying to drive a racing simulator without a wheel and pedals. That's the very first point. Of course, that assumes that you're genuinely interested in learning how to drive at high speeds; if you're not really that interested, then all bets are off. I think that if you are interested, you could do yourself a favor and buy the DVD Going Faster by the Skip Barber school, and watch it enough times to absorb the lessons. Then practice the techniques in your simulator.

It's lots of laps, trying to lower your lap times, that will let you advance. Changing setups is advanced stuff; there's no need to experiment with that till you're very accomplished with the default setups.

I'd say that it's useful to drive a variety of cars to begin with, and choose which one you happen to like most, then drive the heck out of that one. You'll learn the car before you learn a track well, and way before you learn all the nuances of a track. As you try to lower your lap times, first you'll be looking for seconds; then you'll be looking for tenths. Not until that point would there be any purpose to changing setups, and then not random experimentation, but based on tutorials written by knowledgeable people. I'm pretty sure there's at least one such tutorial right here on RD.

i disagree, ive seen a bit of the skip barber vid (i know im a horrible person for not having it up and front bookmared & rewatched 4 times etc, and a lot of it is just common sense race principles that some may not absorb as easiily as others. eg driving in a as straight a line as possible from point a to point b to point c is probably not anywhere close to the fastest way to get there. racing lines, setting up apexes, etc, you dont need a wheel to learn basic stuff like that. the overall edge you get on slow corner entry, thus being able to throttle thru it, & floor it for the straight, vs late breaking & needing to maneuver the car before you can begin accelerating confidently at all...stuff like that is perfectly learnable just by watching but you can put in practice w/ a gamepad fine. some advianced drivers technioques he may or may not go on to talk about later, idk... but basically, 100% disagree t hat youll learn nothing w/ a pad. if youre a real newbie, at least. theres looots & looots to learn. and id guess most of it can even be demonstrated/put in practice if the sim have your controller setup nicely.

and i've never argued that you can -fully- enjoy it without a wheel, even a fairly cheap logitech one is all you really need as far as i can tell from posts. but the wheel users who send these offputting messages that 'its not possible' to enjoy it and 'hopeless' and blabalbla....youre just going to drive a group away before they can rightfully decide if its up their alley or not...all i can is i personaly got a lot of joy just hotlapping, mostly in road cars as well, (well, the 458, but still, not all that easy). i dedicated a week to learning imola and its still teh only track i really feel like i 'know' inside out, as i believe i have some kind add/adhd that makes it difficult for me to really memorize track lines quickly. still couldnbeat the stig...maybe now with a wheel ill blank another week out & give it a shot ;D.

so...do you own AC or are u shopping around?

Yep, I did purchase it today. Having a heckuva time controlling cars. I'm not sure how much is controller setup or just my ineptitude. We're talking not being able to get fishtailing under control to the point of going off-track, strolling around every corner, kicking out into a slide trying to accelerate out of corners, pretty heinous level of failure.

I continually get frustrated with the lack of customization/setups in arcade racers and I had heard quite a bit of hype about AC, so I thought I would give a sim a shot to see how I like it. That's kind of where I'm at.

You may not want to hear this, but there's really not much point (I would personally say there's none) in trying to drive a racing simulator without a wheel and pedals. That's the very first point. Of course, that assumes that you're genuinely interested in learning how to drive at high speeds; if you're not really that interested, then all bets are off. I think that if you are interested, you could do yourself a favor and buy the DVD Going Faster by the Skip Barber school, and watch it enough times to absorb the lessons. Then practice the techniques in your simulator.

It's lots of laps, trying to lower your lap times, that will let you advance. Changing setups is advanced stuff; there's no need to experiment with that till you're very accomplished with the default setups.

I'd say that it's useful to drive a variety of cars to begin with, and choose which one you happen to like most, then drive the heck out of that one. You'll learn the car before you learn a track well, and way before you learn all the nuances of a track. As you try to lower your lap times, first you'll be looking for seconds; then you'll be looking for tenths. Not until that point would there be any purpose to changing setups, and then not random experimentation, but based on tutorials written by knowledgeable people. I'm pretty sure there's at least one such tutorial right here on RD.

Sounds good, I will keep all of that in mind. I can't afford a wheel, so at least for the foreseeable future that is out of my reach. Right now I am at the severe basic level of just trying to be able to drive a car reliably with the controller. Steering either seems to be way under or locked, very little room in between. But again, this could just be my ineptitude.

One of the main reasons games like GT and Forza are so popular is the physics are made so that the cars are extremely controllable with a gamepad...AC has gamepad support which they are still working on to make better, but they haven't and won't change the physics of the cars just to make it easier to drive.

There are some extremely fast guys using gamepads but they are more the exception than the rule. In the game options, turn stability control to 100% and in game use CTRL+T to cycle through the levels of traction control. (only on cars that have it in real life)
This should make things a bit easier but whenever you are trying to drive a car that has hundreds of degrees of steering with a joystick that has a quarter inch of travel it will always be difficult.

One of the main reasons games like GT and Forza are so popular is the physics are made so that the cars are extremely controllable with a gamepad...AC has gamepad support which they are still working on to make better, but they haven't and won't change the physics of the cars just to make it easier to drive.

There are some extremely fast guys using gamepads but they are more the exception than the rule. In the game options, turn stability control to 100% and in game use CTRL+T to cycle through the levels of traction control. (only on cars that have it in real life)
This should make things a bit easier but whenever you are trying to drive a car that has hundreds of degrees of steering with a joystick that has a quarter inch of travel it will always be difficult.

That makes sense, so it is probably just my lack of experience with that level of sensitivity with the short range of the analog. It is that perpetual "under, under . . . omg over over" steering thing, which is precisely what you would expect with such a short range of motion.

Someone on the Steam discussion boards suggested cranking the gamma way up and always steering with the analog pushed forward to limit accidental movement. I might try that tomorrow.

... I can't afford a wheel, so at least for the foreseeable future that is out of my reach. .

Try craiglist in your neck of the woods, you might try searching for some basic wheels that would do you a world of good and that you can use in games like Gran Turismo and other console or arcade games.

I personally have a Fanatec GT3 (with Club Sport pedals) now, but I got my obsession started with a Logitech Momo racing wheel back in 2006. You can find either the "Momo" or the DFGT Pro really dirt cheap in exceptional shape. I bought a DFGT Pro a few years back to replace my Momo when the force feedback motor and pedals went out for $60 on Craigslist. For that amount its a worthy investment to get an idea of what PC sim racing is about.

I still use my DFGT for the GT6 as the Fanatec doesn't quite seem right ...but that's me.

I'll keep an eye out, but it would have to be pretty inexpensive. Buying a new game was pushing my discretionary budget as it is. From the sound of it, some folks get the handle of the pad eventually so perhaps I will. And if after a month or so I don't see much improvement, someone just sent me F1 2013 I can check out as well if I need a break from failure. =P

Someone on the Steam discussion boards suggested cranking the gamma way up and always steering with the analog pushed forward to limit accidental movement. I might try that tomorrow.

It works, did that till I got a wheel...that's actually a tip I forgot about. It does help and gives you a sense of "Steering" as you "round" the sticks in the forward position. Also what helps is the "rubber band" method...wrap 2 rubber bands in opposing directions around the toggles and wrap them around the controller...it makes moving the sticks less easy and will keep you from oversteering. Hair bands can give too much tension so watch out for those.

Last edited:
You really need to look at getting a wheel, even a cheap one like an old driving force pro would be a good place to start. Failing that, a DFGT would be as good.

When driving try to be as smooth as possible, load up the rear and front axles gently when on the brakes or gas etc, erratic movements will only increase the likelihood of a spin. Once you get the hang of things then you can start being more wild with the car, but that's only usually when trying to recover from oversteer etc.

Try the bmw e92 m3, that's a really forgiving car, good for beginners.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 222 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 150 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.3%