New to game would like some direction on mods

Hey guys already liking this game. I keep seeing all these exciting mods and i have no idea how to install these into the game. Is there some type of manual or direction that someone can give me so i could enjoy the greatness of these mods? Do we just download them and they install to the game?

Thanks

HI Michael,

Hopefully the mods come with a readme, but if not it's usually just a case of extracting them into your game stock car install directory, so pretty simple.

A couple of things to note, however:
1. Strongly recommended you use a second install for mods in case they cause issues, or conflict with each other. I use 3 installs - one default, one modded and a third one for testing new mods before I add them to my other install (just in case it messes it up)
2. Not all mods are converted 100%; some mods don't fix the FFB, or the classes are all messed up. So, just like with rFactor, take each mod on its own merits.

Some good mods in my opinion:
Clio Cup - http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/clio-cup-2013.2556/
Formula 1 Classics (the Lotus 98T is particularly awesome): http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/formula-1-classics.2572/
GT3 2010: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/fia-gt3-2010.2336/ (I haven't used this myself yet, but I hear good things.)
And Chevrolet Camaro '68 (mirrors don't work well but it is great fun anyway) http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/chevroletcamaro-1968.1863/

Wow thanks Andrew. Right now im on the race department game stock mods forum, and im blown away by all these tracks and cars. Looks really great. One for instance is a mod so you can do a custom championship, really interested in that one. Is there a limit to mods you can use? Once again thanks Andrew

Yeah I didn't even get started on naming tracks because there are so many, we often run good ones that have been tested in the race club, so check those out. And hey, why not join us for some races? You can get a racing license here.

There is technically no limit to the mods, except running out of space on your computer. And the more mods you use, the more likely you are to create a conflict, which is why I'll reiterate the need for a second install of GSC, or a third if you can afford the space. I know that has saved my main installs (default content, and mod content) at least twice. It can get a bit messy if the mods aren't put into the right category, for example.

Well feel free to ask all the questions you like, I'll do my best to help and the community here is quite helpful and friendly. Getting in some races will help answer stuff too, getting on with the guys on TS during a race, for example, practice sessions, etc.

I recommend the Generic Mod Enabler by Jonesoft. It' s free, they stopped updating it a few years ago but it still works well.
It will install and remove mods as and when you want, so if you get one that causes ctd or other problems, you can easily remove it. Otherwise it becomes hard to keep track of what files you have copied into your game folders

Using notepad, take a look inside one of the rfm files (in rfm folder).
You will see a list of tracks. Once a track is correctly installed you can add it in that list to make it appear in your custom season.

Well, there are a couple of ways. The first just takes a bit of learning but not difficult once you get used to it. You need to spend a bit of time looking at the plr , rfm files and you can see various settings that can be changed. So you can put your own custom list of tracks in, you can set your own points, number of opponents, and many other things. For default cars, select championship, car, settings and away you go.

For non default car mods, you must first get the cars installed and make sure they appear in your game.
Then, depending on where they appear in the menu, you must make an rfm file specifically for them.

So for example: if your mod appears in the main menu in place of the F3 cars, you need to look for the rfm file that relates to the F3, which is reiza05.rfm.
Now, backup that file and then replace it with your own reiza05.rfm with whatever settings you want for your championship. Change the FullSeasonName, the SceneOrder, and the SeasonScoringInfo and you're done.

Method two is slightly easier. Search Google for rfactor Champ R-esult by Dinix project. Look for the Christmas version (there are other versions but I find this one runs better for some reason, other versions had bugs for me). With this little prgroam, you can simply run a single race and then add it into this program. As you go along adding each race result it will show season results, driver championship, constructors points, and other info. Once you get used to it, it is an easy way of running your own season & works really well.

There is a lot to take in at first if you are immediately adding mods and running championships, but lots of people are willing to answer your questions here. It's a great game, made even better if you take the time to alter settings to your own tastes.

Well, there are a couple of ways. The first just takes a bit of learning but not difficult once you get used to it. You need to spend a bit of time looking at the plr , rfm files and you can see various settings that can be changed. So you can put your own custom list of tracks in, you can set your own points, number of opponents, and many other things. For default cars, select championship, car, settings and away you go.

For non default car mods, you must first get the cars installed and make sure they appear in your game.
Then, depending on where they appear in the menu, you must make an rfm file specifically for them.

So for example: if your mod appears in the main menu in place of the F3 cars, you need to look for the rfm file that relates to the F3, which is reiza05.rfm.
Now, backup that file and then replace it with your own reiza05.rfm with whatever settings you want for your championship. Change the FullSeasonName, the SceneOrder, and the SeasonScoringInfo and you're done.

Method two is slightly easier. Search Google for rfactor Champ R-esult by Dinix project. Look for the Christmas version (there are other versions but I find this one runs better for some reason, other versions had bugs for me). With this little prgroam, you can simply run a single race and then add it into this program. As you go along adding each race result it will show season results, driver championship, constructors points, and other info. Once you get used to it, it is an easy way of running your own season & works really well.

There is a lot to take in at first if you are immediately adding mods and running championships, but lots of people are willing to answer your questions here. It's a great game, made even better if you take the time to alter settings to your own tastes.

Ok so i downloaded my first mod. It was a track. When it was done downloading it said it couldn't be opened because it didn't know where it came from. Am i supposed to open it? Do i need to extract it? If so how? I ended up copying and pasting to the locations folder but it didn't show up in game. Can you help me get past this step? Thanks.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 235 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 294 13.3%