New Small diameter Simucube2 wireless wheel

As I'm currently stuck at home isolating, I thought I'd write a review of my new wheel.

Originally looking for a wheel for my rig, I sought a round small diameter wireless one with paddles. To my surprise there were none available, and all the button boxes I found were designed for wheels 300mm and over. Various options but nothing really met my requirements.

I had enquired at Simtech racing, where I bought my SC base as they previously made a small diameter wheel. Jed @Simtech said it hadn't really gone into proper production so wasn't available. I ended up getting the closest thing - an Ascher Racing F28. While an excellent wheel I've been very happy using, I didn't really want a formula style wheel mainly because I like to run pretty high torque settings and crashing can be quite hazardous to your hands. If you have a SC base, you will have had the bruises to know what I'm talking about!

Anyway fast forward about 18 months, and one twisted wrist too many, I began to see if anything new had come on the market. Had a conversation with Paul @ Simtech who informed me they had been interested in creating a PCB similar to one they had just made for a 320mm wheel for a 270mm wheel. After several exchanges, we fleshed out the idea and the prototype wheel you see below was created. There were a few technical details that needed to be tweaked, but Paul and the techies were really helpful in resolving the details with some clever engineering.

Because a Simrig is so customisable, having the ability to have an item built to your specification is a real treat. AFAIK they have some new paddles available, but at the time was really happy with the Ascher's - so they made it to the wheel. They fall exactly where you would want them to and feel great. The buttons can also be sourced in whatever colour you wish - I wanted black and white.

Here is the spec:

270mm Motomec suede rimmed motorsport wheel
Ascher paddles (220mm paddle width) on metal mount plate
SC2 wireless box with 5 x high quality buttons + 2 x rotary funky switches
Power switch
Rechargable 12V battery + PSU
SC2 QR with custom tapped thread for 3 x bolt pattern

Massive thanks to Paul, Jed and the engineers for making this happen. Not sure what the RRP will be on this wheel, but I would say it would be similar to compatible options - not that there are any direct contenders!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 211
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Wheel looks nice, there are a few cars I could see using it with, often a car with a small rim doesnt need a lot of buttons and I have another button box that I use for common things that I dont want to remember and map across different rims, which would then be in different positions.

Wireless certainly makes swapping rims a heck of a lot easier, at least for me.

One thing I am curious about, this is smaller than an Ascher F28 so those jolts you get are not going to be any more gentle on your wrists than the Ascher?

Upvote 0
Wheel looks nice, there are a few cars I could see using it with, often a car with a small rim doesnt need a lot of buttons and I have another button box that I use for common things that I dont want to remember and map across different rims, which would then be in different positions.

Wireless certainly makes swapping rims a heck of a lot easier, at least for me.

One thing I am curious about, this is smaller than an Ascher F28 so those jolts you get are not going to be any more gentle on your wrists than the Ascher?
The main reason for this wheel after the small diameter was the paddles. I mostly enjoy open wheel stuff, with or without a shifter. The buttons are secondary - but still very useful.

It's not the jolts that are my beef. Being round means its much easier to let go of the wheel and not be twatted by an edge. Rubbing against a suede rim is a lot more sympathetic than getting hit by a fast moving metal end.

I've also discovered drifting :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back