New sim PC, what should I get?

Now with it being black friday, I thought it would be the perfect timing to upgrade my computer.
But I definitely need some help since I can't figure out myself what to get.
I will purely race iRacing and ACC (or older games).
I'm using a 120hz screen at 1920x1080.

I have a 5xxW PSU which I would like to keep if possible but its not the deciding factor.
For my upgrade I'm in need of a new GPU, CPU, mobo and RAM.

I have been looking at a 1070ti (or 1080) and i7 9700K package but realised that its maybe too much.
I don't have a lot of time to play so it would make sence to hold back the budget if possible. I don't intend to get a triple screen setup in the future but VR is tempting, I understand that it requires much more from the computer though.

500 W is enough if the quality of the PSU is good and you have no plans to overclock CPU. These new GPU's are quite power efficient, GTX 1070 Ti or 1080 are both specified to work on 500 W PSU's.

Last edited:
*System builder alert* I am sure there are much more qualified people out there but I have built a few Sim PCs so here are my thoughts. An 8700K will be more than enough and not worth the stretch to a 9700K at the moment. A 1080 or 1080ti will also be a good choice, as would a 2070 but those cards are also too expensive to justify it at the moment. If your 500W PSU has and 80 plus rating and is a quality one then you should be fine, as long as overclocking is not on the cards. If not then 650W 80 plus bronze will be good enough. Make sure you get a 120GB or 240GB SSD to boot from. A decent cooler would be a good idea, a cooler master 212 will work well. Best to get a Z370 motherboard if you want to overclock and have all the features, such as an Asus Prime A.

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it since the last time I built a PC was in 2010..
The PSU I have is a Corsair HX520W.
I also have a 120GB SSD but I maybe need to get another one for more space, what should I be looking at?

I7 8700K and I7 9700K is more or less the same price here, is the 8700K still the better option?

I have decided to not hurry but I will make the upgrade before the year is finished. I havn't set a budget but I wouldn't like to go more expensive than the first option below.

One option is:
1070ti
I7 8700K or 9700K
Z370, which one?
16GB of RAM, which?

Then I will have a decent computer for some years ahead and only upgrade my GPU to a stronger one when I need more performance or decide to go VR or triple screen?

Or a cheaper option which will maybe be enough for me now but not in the long run. This option is not as fun but also makes sense since my time for simracing is quite limited.. I would need some help to understand which parts to go for here. i5-8600K?

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it since the last time I built a PC was in 2010..
The PSU I have is a Corsair HX520W.
I also have a 120GB SSD but I maybe need to get another one for more space, what should I be looking at?

I7 8700K and I7 9700K is more or less the same price here, is the 8700K still the better option?

I have decided to not hurry but I will make the upgrade before the year is finished. I havn't set a budget but I wouldn't like to go more expensive than the first option below.

One option is:
1070ti
I7 8700K or 9700K
Z370, which one?
16GB of RAM, which?

Then I will have a decent computer for some years ahead and only upgrade my GPU to a stronger one when I need more performance or decide to go VR or triple screen?

Or a cheaper option which will maybe be enough for me now but not in the long run. This option is not as fun but also makes sense since my time for simracing is quite limited.. I would need some help to understand which parts to go for here. i5-8600K?
If the price is the same, then i7 9700K, simply as it is more recent, though if it suddenly goes out of stock/increases in price then definitely i7 8700K. As sim racing (especially ACC) is very CPU intensive I would not want to go to an i5, just to future proof for as long is possible. RAM choice is pretty simple for me, go 16GB of Corsair, HyperX or G Skill, preferably 2x8GB sticks (Dual Channel, better than one 16GB). And from there the cheapest kit available. Ram speed is not a huge factor, and 2400MHZ should be fine really. A GTX 1070Ti will be a great card, nothing more to say there, just get a Gigabyte, MSI, Palit or Asus card. Your PSU should be golden, had a quick Google and it looks like one of the better ones for sure, no need to swap out (Unless you want to overclock of course). As for mobos, I recently put a system together with a Gigabyte Z370XP SLI and was very impressed, but a Z370 HD3 is a good budget alternative. Other more pricey options are the Asus Z370 boards, such as the Prime A (I would also recommend). Anything I have missed?

You can never have enough hard drive space. :laugh: I assume you have other storage other than that 120gb SSD? I moved my windows from an 80gb to a 250gb, I thought I'd be able to use the old 80gb for games but one AAA title fills it up. 120gb isn't that much extra. You will run into all kinds of headaches with windows trying to consume the entire drive for it's own use. Even 250gb isn't a lot if you have windows and a few programs or games on it.

I still use old timey spinning drives for most my storage needs even games.

If you can get a 9700k for the same price then do that.

One thing to be aware of is that apparently Intel is reducing production of desktop CPUs next year to focus on the mobile market, might be worth looking into that (it could be a rumor) so that you don't end up paying a premium when you do decide to buy. If Intel is quietly bowing out of the gamer market we could all be switching to AMD in a few years.

You wouldn't need to upgrade anything for VR. The only reason to get a PC as you've spec'd it is for VR, 4k, video editing, or something equally taxing.

• Deleted member 197115

Guys, any reason not to jump onto Z390 chipset?

My black Friday motherboard combo:
- 2 sets of 2x 8 GB (total 32 GB) of Ballistix something, $200 Amazon
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo $30
- Asrock Z390 something $110 newegg
- i7 9700K, that is the 8-core with no hyperthreading (I cannot turn on HT anyway) $410 newegg

Isn't running Windows yet (driver fiddling since I want to move over my existing win7 install) and hence AC. But under Linux a solid road runner for now. No more "my code is compiling" excuses.

Also really like that ASrock board in its simplicity.

Those CM Hyper Evo coolers I use everywhere, but boy are they annoying to deal with until they sit right.

Objective here was to get my rig more VR friendly, in classic AC. Also, the opensource project I work on has *really* annoying compile times.

Also really like that ASrock board in its simplicity.
That's one place I think I went wrong. I don't have a lot of experience with overclocking. The Asus mother board I had made it really easy. I have a gigabyte motherboard now and it looks like overclocking will be more complicated. It's not a big issue. I went for the gigabyte because it had a lot of USB 3 ports, which is important for VR.

Be careful on high frequency ram. You need a chip with a good IMC, a board that can actually support or ideally has that mem on their QVL list and the RAM itself might need some addtional voltatge to get there.

Example: my 4000mhz bdie kit doesn't run at it's XMP profile on my Z390 Aorus Pro. There's no fix for it. Instead I run it at 3600mhz with manual primary and secondary tight timings to get the performance out of it.

Asus Z390 Hero and above boards are you best bet for high frequency ram followed by Asrock and MSI. Gibabyte being the the worst.

• Deleted member 197115

You should raise agent voltage, it is known issue. 4133 should not be a problem on ASUS ROG Maxumus XI Extreme.
4400, maximum supported by MB frequency, could be a challenge though.
There are plenty of reviews with responses frpm GSkill support on recommended remedy.
ASUS also has memory compatibility list with recommended voltages to use.

I will know for sure when I find this DRAM. Thanks for the warning, it is a valid concern and I had done some research on that subj already.

• Deleted member 197115

@Andrew_WOT Just curious, have you found a performance benefit in sim racing games etc. from running 3200+ MHz RAM or is it just an enthusiast thing?
I have seen improved gaming performance in general when OCing my existing memory, 2400 to 2666, so would expect with lower CAS and higher frequency the trend stays.
But I do agree than it might be an overkill for delivered benefit, just trying to get the best of the best at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing