New sim PC, what should I get?

My black Friday motherboard combo:
- 2 sets of 2x 8 GB (total 32 GB) of Ballistix something, $200 Amazon
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo $30
- Asrock Z390 something $110 newegg
- i7 9700K, that is the 8-core with no hyperthreading (I cannot turn on HT anyway) $410 newegg

Isn't running Windows yet (driver fiddling since I want to move over my existing win7 install) and hence AC. But under Linux a solid road runner for now. No more "my code is compiling" excuses.

As feedback for win7 users. That Z390 board gives me a bit of a rocky time with VR. The USB chip on there has no windows 7 driver. No biggie since I have USB 3.0 PCIe cards. However, the drivers for the Via chip on the PCIe card seem to not really agree with how Rift software detects that you properly "achieved SB 3.0".

Other nitpick is that the BIOS does not successfully PXE boot with a PCIe intel e1000 card (which successfully boots PXE in other boards). The built-in GbE boot via PXE just fine.

Otherwise great combo.

I don't know if it could help, but i have built my simracing pc some months ago. We had good discussions at that time on the forum.
Ypu may give it a look.

I am very happy for assetto corsa, acc, etc...

Just search on the forum.

Budget around 1500 euros for the pc alone.
1070ti
I7 8700 k
16 gb ram

I just built a new Ryzen5 2600X on Monday.
After four straight days of testing the memory, CPU, motherboard for stability, today is my first day of using it for its intended purpose...simracing.
You simply will not need to manually O/C anything. It is an absolute 'monster'.
Smooth as silk and fast.
I coupled mine with a regular X470 MSI Gaming Plus, 32 GB of Ballistic Sport DDR4-3000, the existing MSI GTX1080Ti Duke and Samsung 840 with Windows 10 (1809).
Its all cooled by my modified Hyper212E.
Never goes above 76 degrees...even with all six cores loaded to 100 percent with Prime 95.
VR is simply a blast as well.
I'm one happy camper with my reintroduction to AMD CPUs.

500 W is enough if the quality of the PSU is good and you have no plans to overclock CPU. These new GPU's are quite power efficient, GTX 1070 Ti or 1080 are both specified to work on 500 W PSU's.

I may be wrong

That PSU has 2 x 6pin and that card ( like my GTX1070 ) need 6 + 8 pin
https://www.cnet.com/products/corsair-professional-series-hx520w-power-supply-520-watt-series/

I hope you not suggesting with such pricey GPU he uses 4pin convertors ugh !! lol ;)

s-l1600.jpg

imho it is good to have a extra 100w headroom , supply works easier cooler
and proper 8 pin connectors.........

Last edited:
Molex connector conversions generally suck. Molex is a very poor connector. I would prefer SATA power.

Also watch out that Molex|SATA to 8-pin power converters can come in two variants. The 8-pin connector for graphics cards is wire up differently than the 8-pin on motherboards. I have personally seem (and probably still own) incorrectly wired adapters that mix up mono and gpu cabling.

I just built a new Ryzen5 2600X on Monday.
After four straight days of testing the memory, CPU, motherboard for stability, today is my first day of using it for its intended purpose...simracing.
You simply will not need to manually O/C anything. It is an absolute 'monster'.
Smooth as silk and fast.
I coupled mine with a regular X470 MSI Gaming Plus, 32 GB of Ballistic Sport DDR4-3000, the existing MSI GTX1080Ti Duke and Samsung 840 with Windows 10 (1809).
Its all cooled by my modified Hyper212E.
Never goes above 76 degrees...even with all six cores loaded to 100 percent with Prime 95.
VR is simply a blast as well.
I'm one happy camper with my reintroduction to AMD CPUs.
Damnit, just started a thread about Ryzen for a sim PC! I suppose a Ryzen 7 can only be even better...

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm finally getting around to order some parts.

Firstly I was wrong about my PSU, its actually a corsair HX850W not an HX520W (that must have been on a previous computer :D )
HX850-47.jpg

I think I have decided for i7 9700k on a ASUS PRIME Z390-A.
Then I think I will have a solid system for some time but I will "hold back" a little on the GPU side and upgrade that in the future when/if I have more time for gaming.

- Asus Dual GeForce GTX 1070 OC grafikkort (8 GB)
for 359 euro. Or

- Asus Cerberus GeForce GTX 1070 Ti AE grafikkort 8G or MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB AERO
for 437 euro.
That's the "best" deals I can find here in Sweden. I have a hard time deciding which one is most valuable.

Memory wise, would you go for 3000MHz instead of 2666 for a price difference of around 20-30 euros for 16gb?

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm finally getting around to order some parts.

Firstly I was wrong about my PSU, its actually a corsair HX850W not an HX520W (that must have been on a previous computer :D )
HX850-47.jpg

I think I have decided for i7 9700k on a ASUS PRIME Z390-A.
Then I think I will have a solid system for some time but I will "hold back" a little on the GPU side and upgrade that in the future when/if I have more time for gaming.

- Asus Dual GeForce GTX 1070 OC grafikkort (8 GB)
for 359 euro. Or

- Asus Cerberus GeForce GTX 1070 Ti AE grafikkort 8G or MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB AERO
for 437 euro.
That's the "best" deals I can find here in Sweden. I have a hard time deciding which one is most valuable.

Memory wise, would you go for 3000MHz instead of 2666 for a price difference of around 20-30 euros for 16gb?
First, that GTX 1070 is more than a little capable of running every sim smoothly....especially when coupled with that I7-9700k.
You should have zero issues...even with running VR.
The computer I ran prior to this new Ryzen had way less CPU than what you've chosen.
It too, had a non-Ti GTX1070 which ran everything including ACC at max settings... very nicely.
Go look at my YouTube channel.
With the exception of the latest few videos, all of those were done with that GTX1070.
As to the RAM speeds...Intel is not as 'picky' when it comes to those versus AMD.
Save that money for a good cooling solution or something else...maybe a better SSD.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Forget SLI, it does not work properly in 99.99% of games.
If you can find 1080Ti at a good price, go for it, can save you a year or two of upgrades.
2080 is not worth it, may be next year NVidia would offer something better.

Thanks for all the help guys! I think I have decided on everything now based on the current sales in Sweden.

This should work together with my PSU: Corsair HX850W?

- i7-9700k
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for cooling
- ASUS Z390-F Gaming
- Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16 GB 3000 MHz
- ASUS Dual GeForce GTX 1070 OC 8 GB
- Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

Your PSU is enough

If I wanted to overclock I would go gold PSU and water cooling

but that's me, right now is Summer here and days are above 40C
with no air conditioning your whole PC is 40C switched off
Decimates air coolers

I have 6 SSD including same 1TB and 2 x M2
I use 12 TB of Sata only in docking bay these days as they cost SSD bang for buck
If you have existing sata they will impede overall transfer rates, sometimes terribly

I would think about 256GB M2 Evo as separate Operating System, they run up to 2000mb/s
Use the 1TB as D:\

For any Sata my advice is use a "proper" USB3.0 docking bay with windows policies set for better performance so you can hook it up only when you need ( saves a little power too )

Last edited:
I think the SSD cost more then the sims lol
ssd.jpg

Samsung 970 M2 500GB:
C:\ SYSTEM - 60 GB
D:\SSD_SIMS#1 - 405GB (Steam Automobilista, RaceRoom, rFactor2 )

Samsung 960 M2 250GB:
E:\SSD_SIMS#2 - 232GB (Steam BeamNGDrive,, pCars, pCars2, IOM, Wreckfest

Fresh W10 home 64 Bit retail via USB3.0 ultra = 7 minutes
I disconnect power from all 2.5" SSD
Run setup, delete C:\ and 3 small partitions ( not D:\ or E:\ Durge ! lol )
click next ( not new )

Samsung 860 1TB:
F:\SSD_SIMS#3 - 465GB ( Steam AC, ACC , ATS, ETS2, Dakar, Dirt, F1-2008 + 6 others
G:\SSD_SIMS#4 - 465GB ( GPL, GTL, GTR2, PnG,, rFactor 12 installs + all Essentials mods )

Intel 545 128GB :
H:\SSD_FORZA ( Forza Motorsport 7 ...fits perfectly so you can reformat partition and affect no other sims ....... Microsoft Store games need re-install every new OS

SanDisk A400 480GB:
I:\SIM PATCHES 447GB ( All sims patches less all mods used with OVGME or AC Content Manager........ they reside on SSD with their sims for fast transfer )

Samsung 850 250GB:
J:\MEDIA 232GB ( only SSD storage for non sim stuff, downloads etc )

USB3.0 Dual Dock K:\ L:\ M:\ N:\
4 x Sata 12TB ( archives) and 60GB Force3 SSD ( special partition for GTR2 Essentials testing )

LG USB Burner O:\ ( for Optical ) and to keep it from mixing up drive letters
Best burner I have ever used only enabled when used

2 x Sandisk Ultra 3.0 16GB flashdrives
1 for Operating System
1 encrypted for complete personal backup and all drivers apps tools extracted to fully set up a new OS

lol

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys! I think I have decided on everything now based on the current sales in Sweden.

This should work together with my PSU: Corsair HX850W?

- i7-9700k
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for cooling
- ASUS Z390-F Gaming
- Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16 GB 3000 MHz
- ASUS Dual GeForce GTX 1070 OC 8 GB
- Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

That cooler won’t really cut it. Get a dark pro 4 or Noctua dh15. I’d overclock to 1.3v and see what frequency you get stable at that vcore. Then you can run that 24/7.

That cooler won’t really cut it. Get a dark pro 4 or Noctua dh15. I’d overclock to 1.3v and see what frequency you get stable at that vcore. Then you can run that 24/7.
I have a 212 turbo (twin fan model with a fancy top plate) and under full load yesterday it was hitting 35° max temps. I was laughing my ears off however ambient in the room was about 5° :D

I have a 212 turbo (twin fan model with a fancy top plate) and under full load yesterday it was hitting 35° max temps. I was laughing my ears off however ambient in the room was about 5° :D
5* degrees C....let me see, that's about 41* Fahrenheit.
What'd they do...put you and your computer in an uninsulated barn outside somewhere? :D:D:D
That's cold as heck.

Last edited:
5* degrees C....let me see, that's about 41* Fahrenheit.
What'd they do...put you and your computer in an uninsulated barn outside somewhere? :D:D:D
That's cold as heck.
Actually you are spot on xD
A 2 storey garage seperate to the house that is not yet insulated and finished, in the UK. I went up last night to test my pedals more.

So which of these 2 should I go for?
I have already ordered the parts so I have to send back the 212 then.
No hurry though, I won't be able to get it up and running in the coming weeks, but when I do, I rather just have the right parts and hopefully everything works without much pain.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back