New Samsung Odyssey G9 49 inch 1000R 240hz display announced at CES 2020

New version of samsungs 49 inch super ultrawide, but with 240hz, and a much more aggressive 1000R curvature. What do you guys think of this? If you sit close and use a game like iracing where you can simulate a triple screen setup with a single screen like some people do with the current 49 inch, that you could get a wider fov.

Here is a picture from the top to see the curvature
2020-Odyssey-Gaming-Monitors-G9_product2_575px.jpg

The older crg9 for comparison

Samsung-CRG9-02.jpg

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

From what I've read from curved monitor owners, it does not work that well as triple screen replacement, size is more like two screens, and perspective is not right.
But if you like big monitors and find ultra wide aspect ratio odd and limiting, there is new one from ASUS

• Deleted member 197115

On ultra wide with triple screen, two videos posted here, guy comparing both setups and recommend staying on triples. It's Spanish though. You can enable captions and auto translate.

I didn't mean that this would replace triple screen, because like you said you only get the width of 2 27 inchers, but that I mean this could potentially be better than the current 49 inch super ultrawides because of the more aggressive curve. Until they make a huge like 70 inch version its not going to replace triples.

On ultra wide with triple screen, two videos posted here, guy comparing both setups and recommend staying on triples. It's Spanish though. You can enable captions and auto translate.
hehe I didnt understand a word of what the guy is saying - but he sounds so funny and charming that I felt pretty entertained :p
Something like a spanish GamerMuscle video.:roflmao:

But I think its an unfair comparation - because the 2 single screens are much further away from the drivers vievpoint than the triple screen setup.
If the distance has been the same I think the immersion from the single screens would have been closer to the triple screen setup. :thumbsup:

• Deleted member 197115

hehe I didnt understand a word of what the guy is saying - but he sounds so funny and charming that I felt pretty entertained :p
Something like a spanish GamerMuscle video.:roflmao:

But I think its an unfair comparation - because the 2 single screens are much further away from the drivers vievpoint than the triple screen setup.
If the distance has been the same I think the immersion from the single screens would have been closer to the triple screen setup. :thumbsup:
You need to click on CC, that will enable Spanish Subtitles and then on Autotranslate and choose you language. The bottom line the guy decided to return it after a week of back and forth testing and keep triple screen as immersion factor went down, the cockpit view was stretched with side mirror too far and cut when on triple screen it was where it is in real car.
1584040762239.png

Still it is better than a single flat screen. Whether bigger curvature will play major factor in making it closer to triple screen is still to be seen. Curved screens distort geometry, that's for sure, and guy mentioned that too as a con.

Still it is better than a single flat screen. Whether bigger curvature will play major factor in making it closer to triple screen is still to be seen.
We are not disputing if a triple setup gives more immersion than these curved widescreens.
My point is just that watching the videos it looks (for me) like the wides are farther away from the eyes than with the triple.
Personally Im wondering if I should invest in a curved widescreen instead of my small single screen - or maybe instead chose a VR kit:whistling:
I would never consider to invest in a triple setup eventhough I accept this would probably give more immersion than my small flatscreen.:thumbsup:

• Deleted member 197115

I think that was discussed to death already, if your body can stomach VR, it is the obvious choice.
ACC is not VR friendly though if this is your sim of choice.

Obviously, this is all very subjective on what is more immersive and you'll never get a consensus. I went from a triple 27" screen set-up to Samsung's 49" and don't regret it one bit. In fact, I found it more immersive than my triples. The more aggressive curvature of Samsung's latest I do find interesting but I can't see myself plunking down the coin for one. Maybe after they've been out for awhile and prices come down I would consider it and they've been received well.

If I was in the market for one of these super wide monitors, I would wait till Sammy's new offering is out in the wild and reviews start rolling in. If anything, it would probably mean getting a decent deal on the previous models.

If I was in the market for one of these super wide monitors, I would wait till Sammy's new offering is out in the wild and reviews start rolling in. If anything, it would probably mean getting a decent deal on the previous models.
Agree. And thats also along the lines of my strategy for the moment.
And a lot of things is also easier for me because I havent allready invested in a triple setup trying to figure out if I should just discard the triple and get a wide instead.;)

I don't have the space for a triple screen set-up so the new Samsung Odyssey is a good choice for me. I'm racing actually with a 34 inches curved placed pretty close to me and I like it but cannot see the mirrors in F1 2019.

Also, VR is not available for all games and I'm not sure it will last. I have doubt it will follow the same path as the 3D televisions.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 334 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 225 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 170 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 289 13.4%