New Rig Advice

Hi,

I'm new to serious sim racing, i'm 49 but have raced sims since Toca on original Xbox.

I'm currently deciding on a new rig setup but don't know whether to go for 3 screens or not. I'm currently using a Panasonic 42" Plasma at 720p.

1. Should I change to a 1080p? Am I right in thinking Project Cars runs at around 900p on the Xbox One. So with a 1080p I would see around a 20% improvement in display?

2. If I went for a 3 screen setup what size screens should I go for? I know it can be down to how much room you have, but realistically for immersion in the game. I read somewhere that it was 27".

3. Any recommendations regarding screens?

4. I'm currently looking at the 2 rigs, the GTOmega Pro and the GTultimate from Pagnian with a view to maybe getting the motion platform at some point later. Anyone have these?

Cheers

Tony

Hey Tony,

Not sure if you are still seeking some advice, but maybe I can offer a little bit of insight as I recently built my own rig.

One question I have is, are you going to be primarily playing on the xbox one or also on the pc?

Basically, if you race on a console/xbox, then 3 screens will not come into play at all. I don't think the consoles even supporttriple screens. If it does like the last gen, you will need to have 3 consoles hooked to each display.

If you are gaming on pc, 27in triple screens at 1080p is the sweet spot for performance, immersion, and bang for the buck. However, after racing on the oculus rift, I think triple screens will be a thing of the past. I can't even race on a flat screen anymore.

I occasionally do some Forza on my xbox one as well, and for that I use a 50inch TV at 1080p. Because you sit pretty close to the screen, the resolution is not ideal, but doable. Keep in my with computers, modern graphic cards have the ability to run a number of different resolutions much higher than your native resolution and ten downscale it. This looks really fantastic and an option for a single screen route.

If you are asking me what I would do, I'd go with a single screen up to 50in which will be fine for console, but gives you option to run a pc on as well. Just make sure you pick a decent one with lower input lag, etc. Once the consumer version of the oculus comes out, that's what I will be using primarily, unless I'm on xbox which I'll do on my single screen.

Unfortunately I can't give you much input on the rigs as I currently have the RSeat Rs1 which is amazing.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck!

Upvote 0
Hey Tony,

Not sure if you are still seeking some advice, but maybe I can offer a little bit of insight as I recently built my own rig.

One question I have is, are you going to be primarily playing on the xbox one or also on the pc?

Basically, if you race on a console/xbox, then 3 screens will not come into play at all. I don't think the consoles even supporttriple screens. If it does like the last gen, you will need to have 3 consoles hooked to each display.

If you are gaming on pc, 27in triple screens at 1080p is the sweet spot for performance, immersion, and bang for the buck. However, after racing on the oculus rift, I think triple screens will be a thing of the past. I can't even race on a flat screen anymore.

I occasionally do some Forza on my xbox one as well, and for that I use a 50inch TV at 1080p. Because you sit pretty close to the screen, the resolution is not ideal, but doable. Keep in my with computers, modern graphic cards have the ability to run a number of different resolutions much higher than your native resolution and ten downscale it. This looks really fantastic and an option for a single screen route.

If you are asking me what I would do, I'd go with a single screen up to 50in which will be fine for console, but gives you option to run a pc on as well. Just make sure you pick a decent one with lower input lag, etc. Once the consumer version of the oculus comes out, that's what I will be using primarily, unless I'm on xbox which I'll do on my single screen.

Unfortunately I can't give you much input on the rigs as I currently have the RSeat Rs1 which is amazing.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck!

Which steering wheel do you use Mantii ?

I have a T500rs but struggling for ideas on what to mount it on :(:thumbsdown::cry:

Upvote 0
I have a TX wheel and the Fanatec Base with several rims. I primarily use the Fanatec one.
Are you wanting to mount it to a wheel stand or an actual rig? There are several options available, just depends on what you are looking for and how much money you are wanting to spend.

Upvote 0
Thanks Manti.

Space is the real killer so a rig is kinda out of the equation :( I'm using an "ikea puang" chair that I wanna continue with so looking for a base to lock the wheel & pedals to.

This is what I'm looking at but the adjustability of the steering rack is what is stoping me buying right now.

image.jpg

Upvote 0
Here is a few options that might work for you. I believe all options will support the T500. These are based on US distributors....I'm sure you can find the European/UK ones as well.

http://rseatamerica.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66&product_id=114

http://usa.gtomegaracing.com/gt-omega-steering-wheel-stand

http://www.playseat.com/shop/us/us/

http://www.wheelstandpro.us/thrustmaster-wheel-stands/

Great post man. Should help more than me out :thumbsup: thanks for your help.
No.1 looks good :thumbsup: No.4 is definitely out :thumbsdown:

Upvote 0
Glad to help. I'm pretty sure the stand from RSeat is excellent. As mentioned, I have their RSeat RS1 and the quality is top notch. I'm sure you wont be disappointed if you went that route. Let me know what you decide :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 307 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 155 7.8%
  • < 5 years