New rating system in place

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
We have upgraded the "like system" on RD and from now on you'll be able to rate forum posts with a wide range of options.
-2gp.gif

Besides the rating we have included a little bonus for premium members. Hope you'll enjoy this improvement.

If you want constructive criticism on how to improve on the new system: keep it in place but take away the anonymity. Perhaps it should display the names of the people who did the like/dislike/rainbow/whatever on mouseover of the respective symbol, or something like that.

I'm getting a little confused here. The "likes / dislikes etc" aren't anonymous. You can see who posted the "comment" by clicking on the "list" button. Or are you referring to something else? :unsure:

Whilst I share some of your concerns about the new system, I'm still undecided about whether it will end up positive or negative, so I'm happy to see how it progresses.
In the end though, the success or failure will come down to the maturity of those choosing to use the comments. Sensible, mature, and reasonable people should be able to use the system for overall benefit. However, immature, vindictive, and unreasonable people will be able to abuse it.
Maybe the system will expose the maturity of the "commenter" rather than the "poster". ;)

Personally, I think we could start the improvement process by removing the emotive / downgrading "likes" such as "Dumb" and "Bad Spelling", these are sure to invoke animosity and become a tool for "jerks", and add nothing positive or constructive.

Last edited:
Well I'm no premium member and I can see who voted me and with what in alerts.

Unless you mean that premium members can see it in anyone's posts not just own. That I can't do.

The worst part about it is the anonymity. If someone's got an opinion, they should come out and say it. If you can't even stand with your name behind your opinion - why should I respect it?

Actually they don't need to. Inn general 90% (or more) of forum users never post anything. They just read, download something or look up information.

By encouraging everybody to make posts you create a forum with a lot of unwanted noise (thanks!, omfg awesome, yes, thank you, sucks, sorry for my bad english etc) while the goal is to have a forum based on good content, not the amount of posts necessarily.

Just to take the whole steam thread debate in the Assetto Corsa forums as an example this system of extended likes would have come in very handy. There were less than six people constantly nagging about how bad Steam was and kept on going and going and going constantly feeding each other thinking they voiced the opinion of the majority while in fact they were a super tiny minority complaining, millions of happy Steam users would disagree.. Extended likes in that particular case would have resulted in many of these post made being classified as `disagree´, ´dislike` etc expressing the real opinion of the community.

People that are happy about something don´t start passionate threads to voice their positive opinion. However, and especially in sim racing, there is a minority active on many blogs and forums that have a day job being negative about everything. Physics are arcade, screenshots suck. omg another preview, your video is not in 1080p, why isnt this free etc and to be honest I am slowly getting fed up with this complaining attitude about everything and if sites don´t act fast this vocal minority is rapidly turning our once very positive and constructive simracing hobby into something really self-destructive.

There is a big difference in writing down opinions, and being right or telling the truth. The amount of utter nonsense people sometimes posts based on nothing else then assumptions or rumors might be correctly classified as dumb, although I don't like that classification either.

As said those wordings can easily be changed and we might do so (or not :D), but not after being put under pressure by two or three people here in this thread. That's not how this forum works. Constructive feedback is always very welcome but sentences that start "if you don't do this, then.." get ignored, at least by me.

P.S. what I don't get is why people get all stirred up by a dislike icon yet some of these individuals make posts on the forums that go 100% against our forum rules: attacking, bullying etc which is all okay? So written offensive content obviously is accepted but classifying the exact same content as dumb/dislike all of a sudden is a bridge too far :) <insert sarcasm button>
¨

By encouraging everybody to make posts you create a forum with a lot of unwanted noise (thanks!, omfg awesome, yes, thank you, sucks, sorry for my bad english etc) while the goal is to have a forum based on good content, not the amount of posts necessarily.
That part I fully agree with and it's sort of the only area where I think 'like' buttons serve a good purpose.

As far as everything else is concerned: it just seems you have a lot more faith in people than I do :p You think the silent majority will keep the a**holes in check, I think they will abuse their power to judge without having to own up for their stance. We'll see what happens :)

Oh don't get me wrong. I do hope the silent majority also start to make valuable contributions but unfortunately that is not how most forums work.

Its a simple forum fact that the majority of daily visitors never contributes.

I think we have all been into that situation when you first discover a forum. Lurk for a couple of months until you feel the need to start posting (exciting :D).

P.S. what I don't get is why people get all stirred up by a dislike icon yet some of these individuals make posts on the forums that go 100% against our forum rules: attacking, bullying etc which is all okay? So written offensive content obviously is accepted but classifying the exact same content as dumb/dislike all of a sudden is a bridge too far :) <insert sarcasm button>
¨

I've been wondering about this myself, there are a few posts in this thread which clearly breach the Forum Rules. They are obviously not acceptable, but have been allowed by the Forum Moderators / Admin so far. :confused:

It was just to show how ridiculous some people their reasoning is. Then you don't even see the posts or pm's that have been physically removed because they were totally over the top :(

Thick-skin-07-14-10-400x398.jpg

In the real world you get negative comments. How can you expect a forum on the internet to be a happy-guy-love-fest?
Yes, it is true that we need to be adults and we need to try to be decent people but in reality there will always be some level of negativity.

Not every single human can get along with every single other human. Does this have to mean full-on war? Absolutely not.

I am fine with the system and those who do not like it are not forced to click those little buttons that do not even appear unless you move your cursor over them.

jamp9on6kwrk8zj0odb5.jpg

Actually, if you are getting upset by a large quantity of negative comments why are you instantly blaming other people or blaming the methods they have of communicating their feeling?(communication is good, btw) Take a step back and look at the situation from their POV.
If most people do not like you, there might be a reason. (and I am totally ok with people not liking me based on my preference for old american cars. and I do understand that my personality also may not be quite in line with many others)

At the end of the day what we have here is an additional method of communication that does not actually clutter the forum. Will it work? Only time will tell, so we need to get on with it.

I like the rating system in general but the dumb option should be removed as it generates too much negativity. Some people will take "dumb" rating as personal insult and not a comment against written text as it is hopefully intended. I think disagree and dislike ratings will do the same job just fine.

Agree, actually that was one of the things we wanted to remove from the beginning but before we figured out how (thought it was a template edit but it isnt) the first people were already making a huge fuzz on the first page about it.

I am not going to remove stuff while being put under the pressure (not how we work) so decided to wait with that.

The dumb, old (what does that mean anyway?), and bad spelling one will go. Dislike, disagree I personally find very useful plus the positive ones as well. The latter ones seem to be used a lot which is nice for the poster making good content that is appreciated by others.

Over the past week i have kept a eye on the forum just looking at what been posted, and looking purely from a visual perspective and it look like 90 % of the forum users are very mature in the use of the clickable icons awarding in general much love to the community..
yes there was the first few days of certain guys clicking to prove points but on a whole id say they have been used with allot of maturity..:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Very little tit for tat clicking, (you don't like my post so im going to click on one of yours) toche :whistling:

looks like there is hope for the sim race community on RD.:)

Over the past week i have kept a eye on the forum just looking at what been posted, and looking purely from a visual perspective and it look like 90 % of the forum users are very mature in the use of the clickable icons awarding in general much love to the community..
yes there was the first few days of certain guys clicking to prove points but on a whole id say they have been used with allot of maturity..:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Very little tit for tat clicking, (you don't like my post so im going to click on one of yours) toche :whistling:

looks like there is hope for the sim race community on RD.:)
I thought I'd be the only one doing this...:(

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 273 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing