New RaceRoom Update to Feature Revised, Improved Audio..

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceRoom Audio Update.jpg

Anthony Monteil of Sector3 has dropped a bit of a bombshell in the world of RaceRoom... improvements to the game audio are possible, and will be included in the new update!

Yes you heard it right, the best sounding racing simulation on the market will be getting some further attention as part of the new update scheduled to drop tomorrow. Attempting the impossible and looking at improving the audio experience in game, sound engineering god @anthony monteil has posted quite a considerable length update on what he's been working on behind the scenes back at Sector3 Studios HQ in Sweden.

Many believe (myself included) that the audio experience in RaceRoom Racing Experience is quite literally second to none, with many of the cars having engine notes that quite literally make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end, however it appears as if Monteil feels that improvements are still possible within the simulation, and has been hard at work looking to make these a reality for the upcoming update scheduled to be deployed tomorrow.

You can read the full update post from Anthony Monteil below:

As we're reaching mid summer, I thought I would give a bit more details about what's been cooking in the audio department during the last weeks, as most of it is now available for you through the very last update.

Besides working on the upcoming car models you guys are already aware of: Audi R8 LMS, Callaway C7R, BMW M235i, KTM X-Bow GT4 and... some Porsche :D, three old glories also received some new sounds, and they deserved (needed) it well :

• BMW M3 E30 Group A & DTM 92'
  • Mercedes 190 Evo DTM 92'
  • Opel Omega Evo 500 DTM 92'
The next novelty is a new road noise sound in cockpit views, free of any suspension or bump noises.

This should allow you to obtain a better mix between the actual suspension/bump sounds and the road sound through the menu sliders.

You'll probably notice that they both seem quieter, which is normal, as we also needed to optimize the volume differences between stereo and surround modes.

From there, you have plenty of margin to increase the road noise or the suspension volumes from the menu, and fine adjust your own cockpit ambience.

And last but not least, the summer's surprise :

One of the most spectacular audio experience in motorsport is probably this cracking bang on the external gearshifts.

We love them when they're echoing in the forest or reverberating all over the race tracks.
Race cars engine might be quieter nowadays but these gearshifts are still damn loud.
Therefore, I thought they deserved a special treatment in R3E aswell.

Though not perfect and subject to further improvements, you'll notice some new external gearshifts samples and most of all, a significant difference in the way they're louder in the distance.
The audio synchronization with the physics is also improved, which increases the gearshifts realism.

I encourage you to test it on TV cams replays or even in free cam mode. Though, a temporary bug makes the gearshifts volume a tad weaker in chase cam view or very close TV cams. This will of course be fixed as soon as possible.

Finally, I can't leave you without mentioning what I started to work on today, giving me a nice banana on my face. I waited this track for so long, even more since I visited it for the first time last year during a Formula One event (note that I didn't precise which kind of F1 it was :D) .

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available as a free download, with additional content purchases option, exclusive to PC on the Steam network.

The RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum is the best place to enjoy the simulation online. We have an awesome club racing scene, open to all skills and experiences. Check out the club today, and swing by our sub forum here at RaceDepartment to discuss the game with you fellow fans and catch all the latest news.

Like the sound of this update? Happy to hear about the changes coming to the sim? How do you rate the audio in R3E compared to other racing sims? Let us hear your thoughts below!

Last edited:
Shittttttttt I am here stuck 1000 kms away from my Home in Hamburg while I visit my parents at the almost very end of England in in Cornwall only 8 Kms from Lands End. There is already to much to return to with updates to Rieza FR2 & Now Raceroom. I am going mad here but not forget most important getting-back to my Girlfriend.

Those 3 cars were in more need of a physics update, along with other DTM92/Touring Classics to make them more in line with recent cars. Other than this small rant, it's nice to see them upping the bar.
Well, he's a sound guy, so physics update might still not be out of the question.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the changelog.

Last edited:
The sound update on old DTM content was overdue. The 'sound' was good, as in very punchy and authentic, but the quality of samples was complete shite when we raced on Sunday. That's really the only thing that was off though, it was strangely muffled and in need of 'cleaning' out. IF they've done that, they're golden as far as I'm concerned.

You know, I hate to beat this dead horse, but I find myself going back and watching my recorded F1 races from 2009-2013. I recall hating the way those cars looked at first, but they certainly sounded proper, didn't they?

Listening to a 2014+ F1 car is exactly like listening to some guy at a construction site running a power tool of some sort. I just don't get it: The turbo 4's in Super GT GT500 sound fantastic. The turbo V6's of the 80's F1 cars sounded fantastic. There's nothing intrinsic about a turbo engine that it needs to sound like a cross between a Makita Drill and an extended fart.

Coming back to the subject of sound in Raceroom, I have to say I really like how they went with a NA V10 in their FRX, rather than the more accurate V6T.

I find myself avoiding the Formula Hybrid in AC and the Formula Ultimate in AMS, just because they sound so (authentically) bland and horrible. I ended up using Content Manager to replace the sound in Formula Hybrid, and that really helped :whistling:

Coming back to the subject of sound in Raceroom, I have to say I really like how they went with a NA V10 in their FRX, rather than the more accurate V6T.
I totally agree. The sound for the FR X-17 is absolutely brilliant. We've talked elsewhere about audio being a big part of immersion in racing sims, and it's at least 50% of what makes the FR X such a pleasure to drive. Great decision by S3 on this one. :thumbsup:

This is a beautiful thing! If one thing is immersion breaking, it is sound. This is something I have harped on for every racing game I have ever played. Cough, cough, I'm looking at you Moto GP.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back