New RaceRoom Update to Feature Revised, Improved Audio..

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceRoom Audio Update.jpg

Anthony Monteil of Sector3 has dropped a bit of a bombshell in the world of RaceRoom... improvements to the game audio are possible, and will be included in the new update!

Yes you heard it right, the best sounding racing simulation on the market will be getting some further attention as part of the new update scheduled to drop tomorrow. Attempting the impossible and looking at improving the audio experience in game, sound engineering god @anthony monteil has posted quite a considerable length update on what he's been working on behind the scenes back at Sector3 Studios HQ in Sweden.

Many believe (myself included) that the audio experience in RaceRoom Racing Experience is quite literally second to none, with many of the cars having engine notes that quite literally make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end, however it appears as if Monteil feels that improvements are still possible within the simulation, and has been hard at work looking to make these a reality for the upcoming update scheduled to be deployed tomorrow.

You can read the full update post from Anthony Monteil below:

As we're reaching mid summer, I thought I would give a bit more details about what's been cooking in the audio department during the last weeks, as most of it is now available for you through the very last update.

Besides working on the upcoming car models you guys are already aware of: Audi R8 LMS, Callaway C7R, BMW M235i, KTM X-Bow GT4 and... some Porsche :D, three old glories also received some new sounds, and they deserved (needed) it well :

• BMW M3 E30 Group A & DTM 92'
  • Mercedes 190 Evo DTM 92'
  • Opel Omega Evo 500 DTM 92'
The next novelty is a new road noise sound in cockpit views, free of any suspension or bump noises.

This should allow you to obtain a better mix between the actual suspension/bump sounds and the road sound through the menu sliders.

You'll probably notice that they both seem quieter, which is normal, as we also needed to optimize the volume differences between stereo and surround modes.

From there, you have plenty of margin to increase the road noise or the suspension volumes from the menu, and fine adjust your own cockpit ambience.

And last but not least, the summer's surprise :

One of the most spectacular audio experience in motorsport is probably this cracking bang on the external gearshifts.

We love them when they're echoing in the forest or reverberating all over the race tracks.
Race cars engine might be quieter nowadays but these gearshifts are still damn loud.
Therefore, I thought they deserved a special treatment in R3E aswell.

Though not perfect and subject to further improvements, you'll notice some new external gearshifts samples and most of all, a significant difference in the way they're louder in the distance.
The audio synchronization with the physics is also improved, which increases the gearshifts realism.

I encourage you to test it on TV cams replays or even in free cam mode. Though, a temporary bug makes the gearshifts volume a tad weaker in chase cam view or very close TV cams. This will of course be fixed as soon as possible.

Finally, I can't leave you without mentioning what I started to work on today, giving me a nice banana on my face. I waited this track for so long, even more since I visited it for the first time last year during a Formula One event (note that I didn't precise which kind of F1 it was :D) .

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available as a free download, with additional content purchases option, exclusive to PC on the Steam network.

The RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum is the best place to enjoy the simulation online. We have an awesome club racing scene, open to all skills and experiences. Check out the club today, and swing by our sub forum here at RaceDepartment to discuss the game with you fellow fans and catch all the latest news.

Like the sound of this update? Happy to hear about the changes coming to the sim? How do you rate the audio in R3E compared to other racing sims? Let us hear your thoughts below!

Last edited:
Yeah, I know, wasn' t pointing at the sound engineer. Just getting frustrated...waiting for more than a year, vague promises...looking into it...working on it...no idea when we will bring it...
If they can't do it while on the actual engine, I'd like them to just tell that instead.

Well, look at it from their point of view. A fairly small studio with a lot on its plate, and it's fairly obvious they have to do what the publisher wants them to do fairly often (Georg has mentioned in his streams plenty of times that they had to delay some already announced stuff to work on something that has come up instead and was given higher priority). Also they obviously got burned in the past with announcing stuff way too early and it seems like they're now more reluctant to talk about such things. Do you honestly think they're just stalling by giving vague answers so they don't have to admit it can't be done? IMO a much simpler explanation is they honestly want to do it and want the fans that keep bugging them about it know it's not completely off the table, but at the same time, it's not very high on their list of priorities, so they can't exactly promise it.

Wish AC had sound as good as this (AMS is good runner-up). Sound is so damn important.

You basically listen to same up/down pitched engine noise for HOURS on end. It very easily becomes monotonous/boring, unless all tricks of the trade are used, and all possible detail/variation is included.

Can't be stressed enough IMO in racing sim. Especially when all other sounds like music, voice acting and other effects are basically non-existent/useless.

Also baffles me how much attention many gamers (commenting racing game YouTube videos etc) put to graphics realism, but so few seem to care about car sound. It's half of the audiovisual package.

Last edited:
Finally, I can't leave you without mentioning what I started to work on today, giving me a nice banana on my face. I waited this track for so long, even more since I visited it for the first time last year during a Formula One event (note that I didn't precise which kind of F1 it was :D) .

BTW, since everyone is talking about sound, I think this part could use some highlighting as well... ;)

Raceroom is what I use to draw in friends who come over and want to see what all this sim racing stuff is about.

Once they hear the DTM's screaming around the Norisring, I have a 100% "Hey, can I try that?" response rate. ;)

Sound is easily just as important as graphics.

Do you honestly think they're just stalling by giving vague answers so they don't have to admit it can't be done? IMO a much simpler explanation is they honestly want to do it and want the fans that keep bugging them about it know it's not completely off the table, but at the same time, it's not very high on their list of priorities, so they can't exactly promise it.
Yes I do think they want to avoid telling it can't be done (or won't be)...for whatever reason.
Maybe RaceRoom is not interested because they don't use triples in their commercial rig setups and want to go the VR way, who knows ?
There has been a recent poll on the forum: what kind of screens do you use.
Result (for now): note that there were more categories:
Triple screen: 18,7%
VR: 6,5 %

Keeping in mind that triple screen was 'in the works/kept in mind/on the horizon etc...' for far over a year; in a period they did not even speak about possible VR support, noting only 6,5 % uses VR, it is 'a bit' sad for triple screen users that VR support is already done and that there is even no answer any more on questions about triple screen support on the main R3E forum.
Does that sound logical (or even fair) to you ?

All others (RaceFactor2, Automobilista, Assetto Corsa, iRacing and project Cars 2) have this feature, leaving R3E behind.

But it does have the best sound...agreed... :whistling:

@Fanapryde VR is the current marketing gimmick, it's fairly obvious why RaceRoom want the game to support it, despite a very low percent of people actually using it at the moment.

I find the idea of devs purposefully lying to us and avoiding answers simply because some people would not like it kinda ridiculous and I find the scenario I described far more likely and realistic. But by all means, you're obviously entitled to your own opinion.

@Fanapryde I find the idea of devs purposefully lying to us and avoiding answers simply because some people would not like it kinda ridiculous...
OK, your opinion is noted.
Could you then please enlighten me why R3E simply don't give any answers/explanations (any more) on the topics on their support forum (about this subject) ? I understand they are a relatively small company, but it takes only a couple of minutes from one person to do that.

Can't see S3 wasting time implementing tri screen support in the current dx9 engine when a move to U4 and dx11 has already been confirmed for next year, bummer, as I use triples myself but I kinda understand that with the ranking system due soon and then fine tune, 3 GT3 cars, 3 Porsche's all expected before the end of the year, not to mention this mystery track. This all brings us into next year, so I see work being done on things that can be ported to U4 with the minimum fuss taking priority.
JF did mention some time ago that it wasn't a lot of work and the new GraphicGuru chap would take a look after VR but silence since, so either it's being looked at now VR is here or it's the move to dx11 first.

OK, your opinion is noted.
Could you then please enlighten me why R3E simply don't give any answers/explanations (any more) on the topics on their support forum (about this subject) ? I understand they are a relatively small company, but it takes only a couple of minutes from one person to do that.
On what topics? On topics of potential upcoming features? I just gave you my opinion on that.

BTW, there's really no need to be patronizing.

@Ross Garland Yeah, I'm aware. Though Georg also mentioned recently they're working on at least one new track that's "not Scandinavian" and "is very high on the community wishlist". I assume he meant this one:

https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/community-circuit-wishlist-top-3.2369/

My first guess would likely be Imola.
And @Ross Garland
Maybe this calendar will give a hint:
http://www.mastershistoricracing.com/historic-formula-1/championship/
Well still could be a different championship. Maybe UK got a "national" one?

Edit: The track I'm pointing to was featured last year as well. So it is...

Last edited:
On what topics? On topics of potential upcoming features? I just gave you my opinion on that.

BTW, there's really no need to be patronizing.
There are several topics about triple screen support on the R3E forum, some old, some newer.
And, forgive my ingnorance, where was I patronizing ? I did not mean to, maybe because English is not my native language ... :rolleyes:

@Ross GarlandThough Georg also mentioned recently they're working on at least one new track that's "not Scandinavian" and "is very high on the community wishlist"

Urgh, Le Mans right at the top? What an absolute yawn-fest. Anything but that. I see Donington is pretty high on that list though so there is some hope...

I hope so. There's a track on there I'd love to see in R3E, which should be in already since they already have the Indy version... ;)

Urgh, Le Mans right at the top? What an absolute yawn-fest. Anything but that. I see Donington is pretty high on that list though so there is some hope...
Well, I believe I also voted for it... I'd love to have it in R3E. Especially given that it's currently only available in PCars, unless I'm mistaken. Officially, I mean.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 380 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 250 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 182 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 306 13.1%