New racer here, currently stuck, looking for help and advices!

Hi all,

I have recently bought Assetto Corsa ultimate while it was on sale, as well as my first wheel. I am in love with this game, however, I found myself stuck after playing for 2 weeks with 24 hours behind the wheel.
I have watched a few youtube videos about beginners and sim racing. I have followed what those videos said. I started with BMW Z4 GT3 and only drove it on Red Bull Ring, I have not touched any other cars nor tracks (I did start career but only 1 race in). I managed to clock a 1:32:7 with Z4 on Red Bull Ring, but I found myself unable to improve.
I have concluded that my main problem is that I lack consistency despite I have driven around more than 100 laps on the track, I know where my breaking points are, but I just can nail it perfectly, I either break a meter too early or too late. I also have trouble hitting the inner curbs of corners, it being inconsistent as well.
I also have a question: should I drive more cars and drive on more tracks to get more experience in general, or to keep focusing on the current car-track pair that I have been working on?
Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Mutz

Last edited:
The reason why you are trolled is that many experienced simdrivers have told you plenty of times that the things you are saying are incorrect and you, instead of accepting it and using this knowledge to get faster, keep spreading misinformation about driving technique. Even the word you use to describe the simple act of braking on a race track is incorrect. Try to be a bit more humble and listen to what people say.

Example: Tell for the driver on the right who's doing it wrong to---> focus on corner exit, be more early on the throttle, slow in fast out, drive smoother or git gud & adjust FOV. You know... it's the usual advice I'm reading, but it's always fascinating :thumbsup:.

Veni vidi vici, just bomb dive with the brake
I underlined & bolded the part you didn't quote.

The text is alien language for the most part & never actually made any sense in an understandable state. Sometime you do the complete opposite & it work wonder that you start to have a fascination outside planet earth.

So why does left & middle example is faster than right then?

It's some serious joke going around.

This taught me all I need to know about corner entry and exit.

I have to thank Rasmus for it.

You can read a little "example analysis" from me here:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ferrari-sf-70h-driving-style-tips.149047/page-4#post-2736239
[/QUOTE]

There are many factors that can put faster laptimes on the board, but to the OP this is all you should focus on being new.
Cornering.
Slow in, fast out.
The smoother you are the more natural things will feel and slowly you will see .500 being scrubbed off your laptimes. These small numbers will start to add up to seconds, and seconds in motorsport is years.

The best advice I can give someone starting out is focus on car control, do not over drive the car. Brake in the straights, coast the nose into the apex, half throttle mid apex, full throttle exiting the corner.
Once you're comfortable with easing the car around the track like this, then it's time to start pushing your braking points out further, accelerating sooner, maybe even some early heel/toe action.

You put a 1:31 on the board Daniel son, I will teach you "The Butterfly."

Maybe because you are grannying at 75% throttle forever in the video that is supposed to be focusing on a strong exit?

What a dumbass. This is hilarious.
It's disappointing to not get a constructive answer. There's always that weird never ending atmosphere around AC & driving in it. The reputation is quite strong at it & you hold it very well.

It's disappointing to not get a constructive answer. There's always that weird never ending atmosphere around AC & driving in it. The reputation is quite strong at it & you hold it very well.
We're past being constructive over your dumb posts. The sad highlights of your life seem to be generating internet reactions over the stupid **** you come up with. I'm happy to provide so many feel good moments for you.

Dont be mistaken by my tone, I'm never truly worked up about this. It's damn fun pushing the boundaries of how stupid you can go.

:thumbsup:Corsa 1977
Liked the way you explained your post.

I did not get this bit...
Something is telling me not ask, but the inquisitive part of me is making me:cautious::cautious::cautious:

(You put a 1:31 on the board Daniel son, I will teach you "The Butterfly.")

:thumbsup:Corsa 1977
Liked the way you explained your post.

I did not get this bit...
Something is telling me not ask, but the inquisitive part of me is making me:cautious::cautious::cautious:

(You put a 1:31 on the board Daniel son, I will teach you "The Butterfly.")

The Butterfly is a term I coined for my son, teaching him how to steer the car with his right foot.
He kept having throttle oversteer out of corners.
We're all familiar with a certain boxing phrase (sting like a bee, float like a butterfly) with racing it's reversed.

Pulsing your foot quickly in small increments early/mid apex allows you to put the nose where you want it, and hold the car on the traction edge until it straightens out, then sting like bee.
It allows you to get back on the throttle quicker and only applies to high powered RWD, or low traction conditions.

We're past being constructive over your dumb posts. The sad highlights of your life seem to be generating internet reactions over the stupid **** you come up with. I'm happy to provide so many feel good moments for you.

Dont be mistaken by my tone, I'm never truly worked up about this. It's damn fun pushing the boundaries of how stupid you can go.
It's amusing to explore method outside planet earth casually & found out that many are corrupt which is truly disappointing.

in the past 8 months I have been fascinated by how quick some people are in assetto corsa

I now think I have an understanding, enough so that I do not have to think about this anymore.

I have been helped by many many people on this forum, too many to name.

Mr DEAP has put himself out greatly for me in the past, as I have tried to come to grip
With this virtual reality racing.

Ok so he is out spoken and somewhat single minded, but he does not deserve this abuse.

"Dumb he is not"

Ok, I do know he would be the last person to thank me for this.:)

Thanks

I have no interest in the WR time, I'm not even an active player & too old(probably the cause of the single mindset) to even care. it should be easy to get close to 1~2 sec of gap on an easy handling car, @RasmusP data & other advices would 100% make sense.

What I find abnormal is for player wasting hours & still have over 4~6sec of gap on an easy handling car. I still read usual absurd advice that just doesn't make sense, according to the clue provided.

As far as I can see people are fast by being as neat as possible, and in AC setting the car up to abuse kerbs - AC cars seem extremely kerb-sensitive. Not sure if that's something in the suspension model or the default setups, or the kerbs themselves, but most other sims give you rather more leeway.

Playing with the fast bump damping won't really change the overall handling much so that's a reasonable thing for a newbie to mess with - changing the suspension travel will, though.

A glass full of water is oversteer.

Divebomb braking exploit technique is fascination. Outside earth inertia camber is making this possible by abusing tyre aerodynamics. I'm being trolled.
Now you got me interested! Could you explain this more clearly? I always wondered why on modern cars, the front tyres aren't fully covered when you look at them while standing in front of the car. Aren't they causing drag or does the air get directed around them?
Maybe the drag is wanted so you get local bending and a better profile of the tyre?
Yeah I think it's the latter... :p

Anyway, I think this discussion leads to nothing as we all mean the same but can't get it worded so we understand each other.
What is fascinating though is that everyone agreed with my post showing just the data and explaining what is to see in it. That shows that we all mean the same.
I think Mr deap is a good guy. I do think though that his wording is a bit different from the "mainstream" and that leads to unnecessary arguments. I once saw two professors at my university almost hitting each other before they found out that they meant the same but in their programs it's called differently. They thought they would use the same program...

I have no solution for this though as Mr Deap probably won't ever change his wordings and the rest will still get triggered by it.
As long as it stays within borders and we don't receive reports, I will continue facepalming over these arguments and not over-moderate.
However I'm thankful that you guys all still care about the newbies. It shows that you have a good heart!

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 371 16.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years