New race format sucks!

RD admin, the new race format of one 30 minute race doesn't work IMO. So much so, it has left me searching for alternative options for race events

Let me first clarify that my skill level places me mid field to back marker, at best. Something I doubt will ever change.

One 30 minute race leaves me driving around a circuit for 30 minutes, pretty much alone on the track. Note that any newcomers may find themselves in the same predicament. Not the most exciting way to spend an evening. It also does nothing to discourage the disappointing trend of racers leaving the server after an incident.

In the past, 20 minutes races, reverse grids, multi classes and 40 minute races with pitstops allowed for some 'mixing it up' with other racers and on occasion, even presented an opportunity to get a result through strategy.

It is a shame that we are blessed with a sim that provides for many creative formats, (some of which have never been explored, like weight penalties) and yet we are now reduced to one 30 minute race!

As it stands, my search for alternative formats has already begun, which is a shame as R3E is my preferred SIM.

Last edited:
If you look at the gaps during the race most drivers are running 'alone' in that the gap is greater than a couple of seconds. I too would prefer longer races with a pit stop as Paul had mentioned to provide an opportunity to close that gap.

The simple answer to this is that I can't please everyone all of the time. What works for one person wont work for another and they'll end up complaining instead. Given that people complain when things change and when they stay the same, it's a no-win situation for race organisers. No matter what we do, someone will be unhappy about it. It's an accepted fact of life that we can't do much about.

I mean, how often have people complained to me that 40+ minutes is too long for a race, that 20 minute sprints aren't long enough, that pit stops should be binned altogether, that reverse grids leave them feeling under too much pressure, etc etc etc. The other race formats will be back soon, but single, 30 minute races are going to remain part of the rotation too.

My thanks to Paul for giving his feedback in a civil, constructive manner and keeping it out of the event threads. Appreciate it mate. :thumbsup:

Just a thought, would a simple poll conducted in the header suffice?
RD determines car and track combination for club event
Members gets a single vote and majority rules.
Poll is from end of previous race for a 72 hour period and determines the following:
Two twenty minutes races with reverse grid
One thirty minute sprint race
One forty minute race with a mandatory pit stop

@Ross Garland it is quite the predicament I agree. I should add that I do very much appreciate the hard work that is put in on our behalf. The issue is also compounded by the decline in entries too.

Is it possible perhaps to test an alternative format for a month? For example;
Tuesdays: 2 X 20 minute races. Race 2 reverse grid.
Thursdays: 1 X 40 minute race. Compulsory pitstop.
Sundays: 1 X ?? minute race. Multi Class.

Throw in a test of the weight penalty system perhaps (I've no idea how it works)?

The above may provide enough variety to attract entries. I appreciate it may not have an immediate effect but perhaps there's some mileage in testing the water?

R3E faces a lot of competition for our race time in the form of alternate (and new) racing titles and alternate formats (multi class, endurance etc).

I hope my words don't come across as being a sore loser because I have absolutely no desire to cripple the fast guys and the cream will always rise to the top.

It's simply that the combination of smaller grids and one 30 minute dash has simply increased the gap and time spent in no man's land.

Is it possible perhaps to test an alternative format for a month? For example;
Tuesdays: 2 X 20 minute races. Race 2 reverse grid.
Thursdays: 1 X 40 minute race. Compulsory pitstop.
Sundays: 1 X ?? minute race. Multi Class.
I am in the minority to be sure as while you guys are enjoying racing during the week I am at work, so Sundays are my only opportunity. What I would suggest is rotating that same idea but for each of the club events. Week 1, Week 2, etc...
This may not solve all the complaints but it may cut it down significantly.

Last edited:
Just a thought, would a simple poll conducted in the header suffice?
RD determines car and track combination for club event
Members gets a single vote and majority rules.
Poll is from end of previous race for a 72 hour period and determines the following:
Two twenty minutes races with reverse grid
One thirty minute sprint race
One forty minute race with a mandatory pit stop
Well worked perfectly for Brexit! :O_o:
Variety is the spice of life, a little bit of everything, mix it up, then at least everyone is happy at some point, plus trying new formats may well open new horizons for some.
Stop giving Beansprout a hard time, he's doing an impossible job. IMPOSSIBLE!
If I was driving I would prefer shorter sprint races but that's because I'm broken, if I was fit; I would race where ever and for how ever long.
Quick couple lines on driving around at the back on ones own, everyone starts there. :thumbsup: The challenge is to lower the gap from the leaders to your finishing time and paying very hard attention when being lapped, on lines etc. If you take the fast people out of racing, what is there to aspire to, all about putting the time in and unfortunately, most don't have this opportunity, so abilities will always be mixed but there is generally someone to race, wherever you are in the pack but I do agree a long race with only a few entrants can be a chore at the back. Of course the only true, fair way is for all games to use their own ranking systems, which makes 3rd party sites jobs far more difficult. So although I'm a hypocrite, as I'm not even driving at the mo, so; if everyone wrote down an ideal race distance for them, then on Monday have an indicative vote to whittle this down, then.................................................................................:whistling:

I am in the minority to be sure as while you guys are enjoying racing during the week I am at work, so Sundays are my only opportunity. What I would suggest is rotating that same idea but for each of the club events. Week 1, Week 2, etc...
This may not solve all the complaints but it may cut it down significantly.
My thoughts, too.
Would be a shame to have ypur favourite type of race always at weekday X, the same day you dont have time

Throw in a test of the weight penalty system perhaps (I've no idea how it works)?
It doesn't, yet. Ballast shows in the timing screens but there are no options to actually use it in multiplayer. I may have read somewhere that weight is added to those using assists (which are disabled on RD servers anyway), but I could be wrong.

I hope my words don't come across as being a sore loser because I have absolutely no desire to cripple the fast guys and the cream will always rise to the top.
Not at all. We have no issue at all with constructive criticism, and while we may not act on every bit of feedback we receive, rest assured that we do read it and take it all onboard. :thumbsup:

It doesn't, yet. Ballast shows in the timing screens but there are no options to actually use it in multiplayer.
Should be a part of the next patch. J-F mentioned they could've added it to the April patch, but they weren't quite done with testing. So I'd expect it to be a thing soon....ish :D

I may have read somewhere that weight is added to those using assists (which are disabled on RD servers anyway), but I could be wrong.
You're not wrong. Ballast is added to those using assists.
Doesn't really apply to RD races, but you're not wrong. :)

Nice to know that my memory is still intact for the moment. :)

Regarding ballast in MP though, it will not be used in our club racing scene. Deciding who should have ballast and how much would be an impossible task, not to mention rather unfair. People shouldn't be penalised simply for being a fast driver. It could make for some interesting possibilities in league racing though.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 379 39.6%