New processor boosts FPS, who knew!?

I got a pleasant surprise earlier,

The other day, my niece and I were discussing building her a new PC. I was looking at CPU's for her and I spotted that the range topping model of the type that we'd both need was at a knock down price. So, I treated myself to one, which meant that she could have the old one.

The new one is an FX8350 and it replaced an FX6300. I expected some boost in performance, but was mainly expecting it to be just loading times. I was very surprised to learn that it also boosted my FPS. I now get 67fps average for the Spa benchmark where I'd only just get 61 before. I'll probably never race with a full grid anyway, just six will do me, so I should now get some nice performance.

It'll do me till I ever decide to build another rig, not that sure I want to now though. I'm getting way better than I ever expected with what I've got now.

My minimums never drop below 74fps in any game (driving sims and FIFA), especially since the implementation of G-Sync compatibility. CPU utilisation averages 65% single core and 30% multi core. Gfx usage never below 95%. Only ACC drops below 60fps. Nvidia Control Panel and sometimes Nvidia Inspector ensure max performance without having to turn anything down, so all games are maxxed out.
Waiting to see what Ryzen 3000 brings to the table before I upgrade, Intel way too expensive for my liking when taking motherboards et all to the equation, especially when funds are limited.

That's what I've noticed with the 980ti, the FPS tops out at 74.9 when I've driven solo round a track and checked the video settings. That's still good though. I got 70.9 average with the Spa benchmark and a max of 79. With a fill grid of cars that's damn good. I'll up the settings from 4x to 8x and see what happens. I suppose a ceiling means that the card won't get overtaxed so that can't be bad.

I have absolutely no plans to upgrade anything else now, what I have is fine for the gaming I want to do.

Readings totally identical at 8x, when you can even get 74fps round LA Canyons with those settings that's mighty fine to me! As long as the ceiling means smooth gameplay at good settings I'll take it thanks very much!

If we are talking AC, just sold my 980ti, very impressive GPU.
triple screens 1080 x 1920, full field of Ai , i could get, when the field had spread a bit,144 Hz.
My latest monitor is a 3440 x 1440 i could run that at 110 fps at the start going to 116 to 119
after the first corner, 23 AI all setting at or near max, Brands GP.
Note, triples required lower settings x2 x8 low shadows, med track detail.
hope it is of some interest to you.

Found something interesting that I had no idea about. DSR= Dynamic Super Resolution

I had no idea this existed, but, after hearing it mentioned and googling to see how to set it up, I went into my NVidia control panel and set it to 4x native. The FPS score for the Spa bench went up to 71.5 but the score for general driving remained unchanged. However, it is able to get higher FPS for longer so that's got to be good. Is there any point setting my PP settings to anything above High!?

Well, I'm impressed Assetto Corsa is now fully maxed and I still get the same bench score and FPS generally. I was NOT expecting that! If you'd told me a couple of weeks ago that I'd be able to run a fully maxed AC on my system the reply would have been 2 words, one being off!

I don't see it as a bottleneck, I see it as being able to maintain a steady frame rate at high settings without maxing out the card or the CPU. That to me is a big win in my book! I get the same consistent performance in races too, no lag, no stutter, just smoothness.

Hmm,

Found out that, after running Gaming Booster in Asus GPU Tweak II, that it had really screwed up my system. It removed vital registry entries and services so my PC wasn't working properly. Spent much of last night and this morning chatting to various Microsoft techs trying to fix it. Nobody could!

The only option was to unplug my SSD, plug my old hard drive back in again, wipe the SSD and then clone my old hard drive back onto it. It all works now and I put the majority of things back where they were. Oddly, I get a couple less FPS in the Spa bench, but the same 74.9 as before with normal driving and racing. I think I'll count my blessings and leave it at that!

Sorta related, does anyone know if my 7700k @5.1ghz is bottlenecking my 2080ti? I play VR with SOL and online I noticed I was hitting reprojection hard averaging under 45fps.

SP is a smooth 90fps with me driving alone, my GFX settings are copied from people running lesser hardware so I know more experimenting is required on my end just thought I'd ask.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back