New PC Component Recommendations?

Hi,

My sim racing PC i7 6700 (not overclocked) has died. I've tried swapping a new mobo in (ouch) and swapped PSU's to check, with no change - still nothing.

I'm therefore needing to look at a new motherboard and CPU. The RAM in my existing machine is DDR4 2400, so might or might not work in the new kit.

I've an RTX 2070 gpu, and 2 NVMe drives, and a couple of HDD's - ideally I'd like to make use of all the kit, and replace only what I have to.

I'd pondered buying another i7 CPU but they're still (even 2nd hand) quite expensive, and it may not fix the issue, and if I'm spending, perhaps it might be worth just upgrading as the i7 I had was a 6th gen one and getting a little long in the tooth.

Help me get back to racing !!

Last edited:
First of all, how much are you willing to spend?
You said you changed MB and PSU. Did you bought them new? Can you send them back?

If you don't want to spend much, a good inexpensive combo would be a Ryzen 3600X (or even an 2600x) with a MSI Tomahawk Max.

Upvote 0
Hi yep I bought a motherboard which I can return - and will as it only suits gen6 and gen7 CPUs.

I don't really have a budget but I'd like to use what I've got left obviously with the new kit.

I've a good full size tower case so size of board isn't a problem but I do want both nmve drives onboard.

I think I'd like the best gaming board, CPU and ram. The rest I can juggle around.

I only run 1080p screen but also run a Rift for VR.

Suggestions ?

Upvote 0
If you swapped the mother board and power unit out and got the same issue (unless you are very unlucky new kit being faulty) cant see it being a m/board power unit issue? maybe a cpu. Have you tried running MB with no drives etc attached, as it could be a issue there......

Upvote 0
Hi Graham, Yep removed everything except psu cables. Still no joy. I think it's somehow the CPU too.

Same chip in new board produced exactly the same results. Frustrating. I also tried my daughters machines PSU on mine with no change, so I'm assuming the board might be ok, but it's that age old 'either I buy a old CPU again' or I take the opportunity to jump forward in tech at least a bit.

Upvote 0
Hi yep I bought a motherboard which I can return - and will as it only suits gen6 and gen7 CPUs.

I don't really have a budget but I'd like to use what I've got left obviously with the new kit.

I've a good full size tower case so size of board isn't a problem but I do want both nmve drives onboard.

I think I'd like the best gaming board, CPU and ram. The rest I can juggle around.

I only run 1080p screen but also run a Rift for VR.

Suggestions ?

If you want the best, an I9 9900K is the answer, along with a Z390 MB.
Either option (Ryzen/Intel) will let you use your current hardware, although if you want to take the max out of your system (specially taking into account that you use VR) faster memory would also be a good option, specially if you go AMD route (3000/3200 is a good starting point).

In the end it all depends on how much you are willing to spend, and in order to give concrete solutions the magic number is needed :D

Another important point is the PSU that you have. What's the model? Depending on the route that you take it might also need an upgrade.

Upvote 0
i suppose I'd like to spend less than say 800 ukp or so.

I have a corsair modular 750w psu.

I'd figured the best of the i7 coffee lake processors, and a suitable mobo - is that Z390 the best chipset for the intel stuff?

Upvote 0
So in that case I would say:
- MB MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE (good value for money)
- CPU I9 9900k (if you have good cooling) or a 9700K
- RAM Corsair DDR4 Vengeance (2x8Gb) 3600 Mhz (if you want to update memory) or something similar

All of this is more or less 700 Gbp (9900K) / 550 Gbp (9700K) including the memory.

If you want to go AMD route:
- MB Asus X570 TUF Gaming
- Ryzen 3900X (if you have good cooling) or a 3700X

- RAM Corsair DDR4 Vengeance (2x8Gb) 3600 Mhz (if you want to update memory) or something similar

The prices are more or less in line with Intel solutions.
If you only game, Intel will give you the edge, otherwise I think AMD has the advantage (I use AMD for example).

Also don't forget one thing (although I don't think this will make a difference), AMD platform will be the same next year, which means you'll be able to upgrade you CPU using the same board. Intel is almost releasing their new CPUs (AMD also actually) but you'll not be able to upgrade using the current platform.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just a note on pedro's suggestions... Dont go with an MSI X570 board, apart from the stupidly priced "meg" version, they all have terrible VRMs, the 3900x would kill it, or at least serverely shorten life and performance. Asus and Gigabyte have much better X570 options.
(though if you go B450 chipset, MSI all the way! Yes, it is odd how they went from best to worth with a chipset change)...

Upvote 0
Just a note on pedro's suggestions... Dont go with an MSI X570 board, apart from the stupidly priced "meg" version, they all have terrible VRMs, the 3900x would kill it, or at least serverely shorten life and performance. Asus and Gigabyte have much better X570 options.
(though if you go B450 chipset, MSI all the way! Yes, it is odd how they went from best to worth with a chipset change)...

Yes you're right, Asus X570 TUF is a better choice, for example, in that price range.
Already edited my post ;)

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 330 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 228 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 224 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 169 7.9%