New object rejected

I have an WIP car mod that I look forward to sharing.

I imported two new objects into the working model, in Blender, a model version that works 100%. I assigned an existing material to both new objects, a material that references the skin image texture. I added UV islands for both objects, alongside other objects that use the skin image.

The fbx imports into kseditor okay, the two new objects are visible and can be selected. In kseditor the two objects have their assigned material with the right textures. I conclude this as their material/textures settings are the same as the pre-existing object that uses the same material.

But when I export as a kn5 I get an error: “error, null texture on material fbx_material texture txDiffuse” “Export Failed”

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Last edited:
two objects imported from blender have the material “fbx_material” and a txdiffuse of “null”, so that’s the error.
What I don’t understand is those two objects have been assigned an existing model material within blender. That said, I have not “textured” them in blender. I’m uncertain how to texture them. Most tutorials assume you are texturing on a new material and with a new texture, not using a pre existing material and pre existing texture. Blender is a. Nightmare to learn.
Any guidance welcome!

To reuse materials you just give them the same name and pick "export without textures" in kseditor. It's not really reusing the old one in the file itself, it's just that when it sees the material name in that type of kn5, it knows to read it from the file it already loaded.

The only part of the material you need to set in Blender is the name, textures can be done entirely in kseditor.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 339 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 172 7.9%
  • < 5 years