new Nvidia drivers

What I'm curious about is whether this a an RTX only enhancement or if it is something that will also help 10 series cards.

However since I'm frequently CPU bottlenecked right now with an i9-9900K and 1080Ti, I'm not sure how much it would help me. Fingers crossed though.

Upvote 0
It absolutely is. I run exclusively in VR with a Valve Index. It is single core limited because the software doesn't distribute well.

So, the VR software/SIM title is the bottleneck, not the CPU.

Are you talking about iRacing?
iRacing uses 2 cores, 1 core for pretty much all the physics and part of the other for most other things.
A valve index is of course going to have issues given the resolution and iRacing's (DX11) inability to utilize your CPU/GPU to their full potential.
I run iRacing as my main SIM, like you I only race in VR - I have a 1080ti paired with i7 8086K (5.3Ghz all core overclock) and have zero issues.
I returned my Index as it was only marginally better than the Rift S and the performance hit was just too much to justify the $1000.

But your CPU is not the problem here, well not directly.
The Valve software and racing titles that are not coded for multi-threaded operation will make the CPU seem like it's the problem, but really it's not.

Upvote 0
iRacing does great. I get 120 fps with super sampling. PC2 does great too, same deal.

Dirt Rally 2.0 is a bit of a different story.

I've written my share of multi-threaded code. I realize that my i9 is severely under utilized and that there is enormous untapped potential. However since I'm not going to write a racing sim from scratch I'm at the mercy what is available.

A Rift S wasn't an option for me the audio and tracking are nothing I want to deal with. I had a Rift for almost 2 years it was great. The Rift S was a real let down for me.

Luckily there are lots of options to keep everyone happy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

DR 2.0 is CPU bottlenecked?
I see GPU giving up first on WMR and I can scale performance up by just lowering SS, may be Index is different.
OP, thanks for heads up. Great update , downloading now. Wish there were option for VR sharpening.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Funny it's 404-Not Found when clicking on download link. Guess news went out too soon.

Upvote 0
It absolutely is. I run exclusively in VR with a Valve Index. It is single core limited because the software doesn't distribute well.

My experiences and readings, you always need >5Ghz, regard it is single of multicore application and i7-7700k or and i9-9900K.
About the Vdriver after reading at an computer forum, it is maybe better to wait 24h, it seems it has been rushed to release.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Running new driver right now, DR 2.0 VR, smooth as a butter, same as before.

Max Prerendered Frames setting is gone, now it's Low Latency Mode.
Off - app controlled
On - same as frames 1 (1 frame buffer)
Ultra - new behavior (Beta, use at your own risk)

Upvote 0
Running new driver right now, DR 2.0 VR, smooth as a butter, same as before.

Max Prerendered Frames setting is gone, now it's Low Latency Mode.
Off - app controlled
On - same as frames 1 (1 frame buffer)
Ultra - new behavior (Beta, use at your own risk)

Did a race on F1 2019 on the Ultra setting last night. Noticed no issues, however also no discernible difference either.

Upvote 0
I think a lot changed when I went from the Rift to the Index. The Rift seemed to put more load on the CPU and in both PC2 and Dirt Rally it was a balancing act. As I added more super sampling the CPU usage went up.

Since going to SteamVR with the Index the situation has improved for the CPU.

I need to get more some more benchmarks, but it does seem that the CPU is now less or not effected by super sampling, however the CPU is still effected by fps. The good news is that more bandwidth was opened up which I have been using to run all sim games other than Dirt Rally 1&2 at 120 fps. I still get about 20% super sampling with that, and everything looks crystal clear and super smooth.

I can run most non-sim games at 144 fps, but I'm just been leaving my Index at 120 fps for everything so it is one less setting to change. SteamVR remembers the SS for each game independently. I've turned off motion smoothing as well.

I haven't tried the new driver yet. The only area I would like some help in DR 2.0 which I can run on High Settings with a few settings set to Ultra at 90 fps with 4xMPAA and 110% SS. I tried dropping the MPAA and adding SS, but the results I got were better with some of each.

I did try DR2 at 120 fps with it running in reprojection the whole time and I didn't like how it looked quite as well.

I increased the FOV setting in iRacing from 110 to 125 for now and it feels good. I have the lens adjusted all the way to me. I might try 130 degrees FOV next. Still playing with things, but enjoying it all. With the black box fps meter running, I'm seeing 119-120 fps pretty consistently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
St least doing something with their virtuallink port.

Added ability to update the NVIDIA VirtualLink PPC firmware from the NVIDIA Control Panel Release 435 Driver for Windows, Version 436.02 RN-08399-436.02_v01

Upvote 0
Andrew, so the new Vdrive is Snake oil for running AC in VR, no difference.

The ultra-low latency mode and sharpening filter are aimed at 2D games, you are correct that you will see no change in VR.
Easy way to test is to install GeForce Experience (here me out) as it has a function that allows you to set sharpening filters on the fly per game. iRacing or most other VR titles I have tried are not supported as informed by the software.

I played around with 'Reshade' over the years for non VR games and it's nice to see this implemented in an easy to use way. It does for non VR games what the iRacing 'sharpening' option did for VR.

Unless you also play a lot of non VR games, no need to upgrade

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 238 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 236 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 8.0%