new member to Race On

F

fzd88

• fzd88

hey everyone,

just registered to say hi. I haven't bought a simbin title since GTR2 and GT Legends. However, after seeing all the new content in Race On, i couldn't resist anymore! :)

This forum has helped me a lot to figure out the various titles from Simbin (super confusing). But everything worked well after buying the bundle from Steam. I loved Race On so much that i bought GTR Evo right after. Steam merged both games seamlessly.....man....so many cars and tracks i don't know where to start!

anyways, glad i bought this game and it's gonna bring years of enjoyment....

oh, i did a quick review of it on Gamespot:

I'm a very casual player when it comes to racing games. Most of the titles I own are along the lines of Need for Speed or Burn Out Paradise. However, I do own two of Simbin's titles: GT Legends and GTR 2 and love them both!

I skipped GT Evolution, STCC, etc. titles when they first came out. However, after seeing the upgraded graphics and new cars in Race On, I couldn't resist anymore.

I bought the Race On Bundle from Steam without any problems, and so far, I'm loving this game. In fact, I love it so much that I also bought GT Evolution (only $19.99). If you purchase both titles from Steam, it will merge them together – thus giving you all the cars, tracks and upgrades under one game.

Ok, time for the actual review:

Graphics:

There isn't a huge leap in technology between GTR2 and Race On. However, the graphics are crisp and the cars look gorgeous. As a benefit to the "simpler" graphics (when compared to NFS Shift), the frames rates are off the roof. I can run this game at 1920x1200 with all settings on max, and the fps never drops below 60 (I have vSync on). If I turn vsync off, the fps can sky rocket into the 200+ range! This high fps makes every race feel as smooth as butter.

Again, the cars all look very nice and some of the tracks are gorgeous. I'm actually using the Russian Bloom plugin, which gives you HDR type lighting (it's a free plugin for Direct X games)

The external cockpit views are especially nice when used with TrackIR.

Gameplay:

Unlike most of the "arcade" type racing games, there aren't any career modes in Race On or things to unlock. This sim is all about pure racing. You can do single races or championships which expands into many different races. With both Race On and GTR Evo installed, there are dozens and dozens of different cars and tracks to choose from. And since this is a simulation game, you can spend months on just mastering one type of car and track. Thus, the replay value of this game is massive.

Race On also lets you customize and tweak all aspect of the car on a technical level. It doesn't allow you to tweak them visually however (no paint jobs, rims, etc.).

I just love the many variations of car models to choose from. I'm still learning this game and haven't even touched the others cars, including the American muscle stuff. Even with just one car, this game is fun.

Simbin's games are designed for racing wheels. It worked well with my G25 as well as a normal gamepad.

Overall:

Race On is definitely worth the purchase at only 30 bucks on steam. The value you get in return clearly overpowers the price. This is a sim that'll stay on my hard drive for a very long time.

Source: Gamespot

-fzd88

Welcome and congrats on your excellent choice of Race On.

Nice review:good:. The game is even better if you try it out in RD's racing club:).

If your interested in driving against good clean racers online who are always willing to help and share setups etc, then this is the place to be:good:.

Yes, you can compete against AI players with default setups.
In Pro mode with the default 90% Opponent strength is a piece of cake.

I'm also a newbie, bought the game and a steering wheel two weeks ago.
With some practice I could win on Oschersleben against AI set on 100%.
Now I'm practising at Okayama, where I'm struggling in the middle, much slower than the leading AI cars.

• fzd88

I've been playing with the "arcade" racing mode for the past few days, and the AI is pretty easy to beat (i have all the driving aids turned off as well). However, you really need to concentrate a lot more in this game. In other games such as Need for Speed, the AI tends to "slow down" when you get behind....you can always catch up to them. In Race On, the AI has no mercy! :) If you screw up, you can never catch up to them again, no matter how good you drive. This is why i love the simbin games...

i get cold-sweat in this game sometimes when i'm on the last lap and barely hanging on to the lead...lol

Thanks all! I can't play online because my internet connection is very slow. My goal is win AIs at full AI strength with default setup. I'm playing Race On with Formula Master which i can easy to drive and same as F1.

Thanks all! I can't play online because my internet connection is very slow. My goal is win AIs at full AI strength with default setup. I'm playing Race On with Formula Master which i can easy to drive and same as F1.

Once your confident with the cars then the Ai set to 100% are good solid rivals who can be beaten. But to be really competitive then setting up the car is important. If your not sure how to or don't have the on track time to learn then try the setups thread here in the Race ON forum. Some very quick drivers share their setups here and you can often find something that suits your style:).

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 108 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 284 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 40.0%