New Laguna Special Motorcycle Controller by IASystems

Hi to everyone again. Ive been away from here trying to get the new designs of my Bike Controllers finished and build the Laguna Special designed for use by EBay Motors and other companies at race meetings for the general public to use. Here is the link for a quick video of the Laguna Special and GP Bikes Alpha 7. More videos of use in other Bike games like SBKX, GP500, MX Simulator, TDU1, TDU2 and a full picture set will follow shortly. The Laguna Special is the exact dimensions of a real Suzuki GSXR and uses an original GSXR seat. Riding it can be a real workout just like on a real bike and makes it so much fun to use, especially in GP Bikes. I am just trying to get it up on all the forums and all the specs will be posted soon.

Here are a few pics of the MK2 version.

Laguna%20Seca%20Special%20marketing640.jpg

MK2%201.jpg

MK2%202.jpg

MK2%203.jpg

MK2%204.jpg

MK2%205.jpg

MK2%206.jpg

MK2%207.jpg

BTW thats the Mad Professor, not me, Im not that old yet. Great to be back and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
DD

Long%20Banner1.jpg

A: My approach to mounting the steering would be to reverse your mount, rather than the south/pendulum mount I would rather have the steering unit pivot on the steering stem axis, mounted in reverse and use a reduction gear system to shrink the bar movement to as little as possible while still sweeping your controller though the same arc it does now.
You mean as on a real bike right? Well thats where you lose the physical feeling of the game as you wont be leaning your body unless you have a full motion system to start with. Thats why I developed the south-pendulum steering for. Secondly, if you use a reduction gear, you will end up with a steering that is so sensitive it will be hard to ride, you could try using a steering damper? The main point is, I build the control box not the customer, so I have to test it before I can sell it. I hope you understand that is a legal point. I do you the setup for MotoX systems but do not reduce the gears to much. My systems are made of steel and if you wanted a handlebar system, I would need the specs and diagrams of how you wish to mount as I would have to custom build the system for you.

The foot peg mounting can be tackled as any other custom rear set mount project would be.
Once again I would have to custom build the shift and brake control boxes for you. I will not show you why now as I will need to take photos to show you as I will not publicly show my designs for mechanical to electrical in the control boxes.

Hope this is of help. If you need to continue please email me at doubledragoncc@yahoo.com

Allan

Upvote 0
I think it's a great concept doubledragoncc and I wish you the very best with it. I not a biker I've never been on a bike but i love MotoGP and would love to try something like your rig out.
But since I'm on the other side of the world it will probably never happen.

RC45 you've opened my eyes to bike physics in your posts cheers, but you do come across a bit rude PERIOD! Even if you are trying to be helpful.

Upvote 0
Imo Rc45 is right to be a bit rude as this is basic stuff.
Yes, most people have no idea they are doing this when they ride but they are counter steering, it's the only way to tip a bike into a corner and change direction.

Upvote 0
Very true Rupe but a lot of misunderstanding happens in forums so you have to cut a bit of slack. At the end of the day it is a free world and sometimes what others take for rudeness can be a good criticism to others. Never forget many people dont converse in all languages!!! I NEVER mean to be rude, but some people dont have my sense of humor, Im from UK lol but live in Florida after living in Aus so go figure lol

Upvote 0
Nobody has the right to be rude to another member :) please remember this..:thumbsup:

Really?

I bet any member that is now able to save their own lives by steering around an obstacle rather than into it would think different.

On the other hand, if your clowns feel forum ettiquette is more important than preventing people from killing themselves in real life then maybe you deserve each other.

Poor motorcycle riding skill kills people. Period.

Promoting incorrect control methods as training aids is dangerous - which is why I stuck around long enough to determine if this controller was promoting poor riding habits or not.

Thankfully it is not.

This is a deadly serious sport - in real life there are no do overs or restarts.

Upvote 0
Allan,

I found this thread and read your December 26 post, and your points in 'On The Road Versus In a Room' and 'Program Coding and Real Movement' are well made and compelling.

Now I see that one of the beauties of your design is that it gives the simrider a broad range of movement for finer sensitivity, finer adjustment of the steering. That's why I've been using a driving wheel instead of a joystick to play SBK 2001 and SBK08 all these years!

I think you simply misspoke when you wrote "you put pressure on the right side of the bars to go left" (you do seem to know that you push the left bar away from you in order to turn left), and the more important point you make--and the one that undermines the utility of the design I offered (and that you seem to have already carefully considered and rejected)--is that modeling real countersteering would give the simrider a far too limited range of motion, no more than the 10cm or 15cm (not millimeters, LOL) in each direction you cite.

Now I can appreciate why you came to your 'Southern Pendulum' approach. I found your explanation of this particularly good. As you wrote to RC45, if you used a stem axis mounting with a reduction gear, you'd be back to steering so sensitive it would be as twitchy and hard to ride as using a gamepad.

So, while I still have the same reservations as RC45 as to the real world teaching value of your controller (if anything, it will "teach" exactly the wrong lessons for real world bike control), I now completely understand and respect how you settled on your design, and its value as a fun motorcycle racing controller. And watching the video again, I found myself wanting one, even if it DOES fly in the face of real motorcycle riding physics.

So please accept my apology for sniping at you without reading that excellent December 26 post of yours.

Now, please answer this: Are the controls true to real life? Do you twist the right grip to open the throttle? Operate the clutch with the left grip lever and the front brake with the right? Shift from the left footpeg and apply the rear brake from the right? Or have you made compromises to simplify the controls for the non-real-rider?

Personally, I would hope to pay no more than $500 for such a set up, but since you won't have Logitech's sales volume to drive down your costs, you'll probably have to charge closer to $1,000. Am I correct? What do you think your tabletop version might cost?

Upvote 0
Now, please answer this: Are the controls true to real life? Do you twist the right grip to open the throttle? Operate the clutch with the left grip lever and the front brake with the right? Shift from the left footpeg and apply the rear brake from the right? Or have you made compromises to simplify the controls for the non-real-rider?

Hi Scot, thanks for such a nice post, its the best I ever had, thanks m8. The answer is I use all real controls on the bars so they feel and function as on a real bike, its a blast. Foot controls are the same but my own design because of the electronics involved. I have had people who race each week on track days here in FL try it and I have to fight them off the dang thing lol, they love it and feel totally at home with it. Its natural to use.

Upvote 0
Well, you're welcome, and thanks for not flaming me after my first post. I see now why you were so frustrated with the direction these threads were taking. I'm now a big fan of what you're doing and hope to be able to afford a Laguna Special when you're ready to go to market. Right now I'm out of work and trying to find a new job, which is why I have so much time to be gettin' into other people's business!

Upvote 0
For me the IASystems Computer Controls is perfect!!! It's good joystick to you have in home or apartment.

If you think in physics of motorcycle is perfect to you have a medium level of simulation and a lot of fun.

The lasted video from 3ller is a professional simulator and I can't afford that. Them I'd love to have an IASystems Computer Controls.

Upvote 0
I didn't read this entire thread, just enough to find out that as in all projects like this one, there is a twist in the direction of the turn camp and a countersteer camp. My apologies if this has been ponted out already.

Assuming there is a Sim that allows what I am going to propose (I think PIBOSO's does) you need the ability to both turn left and right at slow speed and countersteer while adjusting the lean of the motorcycle in order to make a realistic controller.

Luckily, there is already a device for sale that would allow you to create such a contraption: A simracing steering wheel.

I have actually tested this with a broomstick, duct tape and my Thrustmaster TR500 wheel. It works. Or, I should say, it would have worked if I had something a bit more sophisticated.

You basically take your controller and attach it to the hub of a Thrustmaster or Fanatec wheel that allows you to change the rims. You also would need some fancy programming in order to transition the handlebar steering from the turn-left-go-left mode to turn-right-lean-left-go-left mode which happens at some point I have not calculated.

A simracing wheel can already give you the kind of resistance you would need to feel to make the leaning realistic.
I can see both a desktop setup, where the physics are simulated only as far as the handlebars and the lean, to a full system using a bicycle, a wheel base at the bottom and some sort of pneumatic or spring based actuators that allow the rider to actually lean into the turns.

Obviously, I don't have the benefit of the experience you have in building your prototype, so I caould be so full of sh*^% as to be talking crazy, but I don't think this is insurmountable.

I also think there is room for a bottom of the line handlebar such as the one you demonstrate. It would be more like riding a 3 wheeler or a sidecar racer, but it would work for arcade games just fine I think.

I don't think that anyone can make a true to life motorcycle simulator that can be sold to the public as affordable prices. But something that at least looks like a motorcycle instead of a Xbox controller would be welcome. Something that allows body lean and almost true to life control would be great, but I think that beside the fabrication, one would need some serious coding to adapt even the PIBOSO sim to it in a realistic way. And PIBOSO is the only one I know that has both steer and lean mapped out.

Upvote 0
Just saw yoyr post RC45............see where your coming frome but as a motorcycle medical courier for 7 years and a custom bike bilder for 24, I think I know how it works and feels right. You missed the point my system works on lean angle not turning the bars, who TURNS the bars at speed riding a bike???. You do not understand the concept so I know where you are coming from but today my systems are being use even by police rider awareness groups not just gamers. If you take the time to think about it, my system at NO time will make you pust the bars right to go right. My system MAKES you push left to go right!!!

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back