New iRacing Damage Model - Behind the Scenes

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing have been busy developing a much improved new damage model as they today share a very interesting behind the scenes video of the current progress...

Rather than resting on their laurels as many would expect for a simulation that's been out for several years now, iRacing continue to develop and improve the title as they look to add further upgrades and refinements as they keep the experience fresh for the many thousands of subscribers to the online racing simulation.

With time of day and offline single player AI both confirmed as in development already, the online simulation have taken to YouTube to show off some of the other stuff that's been happening back at base, namely a significant overhaul to their current damage model that promises to bring a much more detailed and unforgiving outcome to any contact experienced by the player.. with the early preview images from the new model looking very impressive indeed..

iRacing Crash Physics.jpg

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive online only subscription racing simulation available through the Steam network.

For more from the world of iRacing, including setup advice, news and community discussion, head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Do you like the look of the new damage model? Do you think this will improve the racing experience in iRacing? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Wasn't the first time I heard and saw this topic. IIRC there's another video of a BMW GT3 getting damage. That was 2 years ago... Also not the first SIM to try a better damage model, or improve it, though others are already using it. If it will improve racing experience, that I don't know. Maybe a few shock and awe moment the first time they crash, but I'm sure they'll go right back up to swearing after realizing their race is over. Small little details not worth mentioning really, but they seem to be very good at hyping things up, just so you know they are "busy" and not sleeping at the wheel.

While I completely agree damage is very important for realistic autosport simulation, I am surprised that they prioritize this higher than flat spots/tire damage and real weather. In my book, iRacing is already leading in two areas of simulation: damage and gearbox simulation. Further damage improvements are great, but without features I mentioned earlier, I see little reason to chose iR over competition.

Since its so awful while driving maybe it'll be funnier at crashing :)

I Joke I Joke... don't burn me just yet.... looks quite nice :) would love to see stuff a bit closer to this on other sims too but, lets not forget that ... doing stuff for 8 years and having your own timings does make a difference! in a commercial world where stuff no longer can be cooking for that amount of time its probably a secondary thing... and its a pity !

Since its so awful while driving maybe it'll be funnier at crashing :)

I Joke I Joke... don't burn me just yet.... looks quite nice :) would love to see stuff a bit closer to this on other sims too but, lets not forget that ... doing stuff for 8 years and having your own timings does make a difference! in a commercial world where stuff no longer can be cooking for that amount of time its probably a secondary thing... and its a pity !

Once it is properly implemented and receives good praise by many sim racers then Iracings competitors will have no choice but to follow. So even if people hate Iracing they should be happy because this will positively affect other titles.

(Non-iRacing member)
Has there been any discussion about what's going to happen with all of those lovely pieces of debris on Johhny_TooFast crashes into a barrier at 150mph? Will drivers have to dodge the nose he left lying in the middle of the track? If so, how long does that stay like that? I don't know much about how Yellow flags work in iRacing - will there be a non-visual "track cleanup" after a major crash that has strewn debris around?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 85 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 62 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 67 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 42 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 92 13.9%