New iRacing Damage Model - Behind the Scenes

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing have been busy developing a much improved new damage model as they today share a very interesting behind the scenes video of the current progress...

Rather than resting on their laurels as many would expect for a simulation that's been out for several years now, iRacing continue to develop and improve the title as they look to add further upgrades and refinements as they keep the experience fresh for the many thousands of subscribers to the online racing simulation.

With time of day and offline single player AI both confirmed as in development already, the online simulation have taken to YouTube to show off some of the other stuff that's been happening back at base, namely a significant overhaul to their current damage model that promises to bring a much more detailed and unforgiving outcome to any contact experienced by the player.. with the early preview images from the new model looking very impressive indeed..

iRacing Crash Physics.jpg

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive online only subscription racing simulation available through the Steam network.

For more from the world of iRacing, including setup advice, news and community discussion, head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Do you like the look of the new damage model? Do you think this will improve the racing experience in iRacing? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Tiremodel 7, night/day, damagemodel is in work now for over 1-2 years and we don t even talk about dynamic weather in the next 3 years maybe ? Rfactor 2 with isi was the slowmo joe of simracing but iracing really tops this now. Im very concerned about the future of iracing it seems like every new feature takes even longer and longer. Now the damage model can be special even if it comes in 1 year from now because there isn t coming much from other sims. That is the chance for rfactor 2 and ACC to overtake iracing with a good multiplayer system.

Day/Night is still coming this year, although towards the end of the year. The damage model is pretty far into development from the looks of it...I'd estimate late this year/early next year. The tire model is always a crapshoot, it could be whenever...

And rain is in active development. Looking at the time it took for dirt I do not expect them to take 3 years from now.

All of these are huge projects. With other sims you literally have to wait for the next installment with these. And e.g. rF2, even though I love it, had nowhere near as much progress since release as iR did in the same time frame..

Software developers often talked about restrictions on the damage model imposed in their licenses by the car manufacturers.
I wonder what devs will say in the future if iRacing will implement those kind of damage model on all their cars.

I'd love to see @kunos thinking about implementing a more detailed damage model in the future (AC2?).

Software developers often talked about restrictions on the damage model imposed in their licenses by the car manufacturers.
I wonder what devs will say in the future if iRacing will implement those kind of damage model on all their cars.

I'd love to see @kunos thinking about implementing a more detailed damage model in the future (AC2?).

They are still very careful about that. I've read they originally wanted to use the BMW GT car, but big car manufacturers aren't exactly a fan of a damage model being demonstrated with their car...

Which by the way also means that more cars are in a state that they could be used to show off the damage model, they just don't want to upset any manufacturers. I honestly think we aren't too far away from a first release. But it'll be a global release, meaning all cars will be equipped with the new model at once.

Day/Night is still coming this year, although towards the end of the year. The damage model is pretty far into development from the looks of it...I'd estimate late this year/early next year. The tire model is always a crapshoot, it could be whenever...

And rain is in active development. Looking at the time it took for dirt I do not expect them to take 3 years from now.

All of these are huge projects. With other sims you literally have to wait for the next installment with these. And e.g. rF2, even though I love it, had nowhere near as much progress since release as iR did in the same time frame..

I don t look at rf2 what happen from the start because isi was a noshow. But studio397 still made much more in the last 2 years than iracing if u don t count content. And rf2 has a better physic base/tiremodel. how do u know that iracing allready working on rain and all the other stuff coming this year ?

how do u know that iracing allready working on rain and all the other stuff coming this year ?

I don't know about rain, but all the other stuff is being worked on because the devs post in the forums. They quite infrequently jump into a thread and announce things, which means tracking stuff down can be a mission.

I'd prefer a roadmap of sorts, but I understand their reasons for not being so open.

I don t look at rf2 what happen from the start because isi was a noshow. But studio397 still made much more in the last 2 years than iracing if u don t count content. And rf2 has a better physic base/tiremodel. how do u know that iracing allready working on rain and all the other stuff coming this year ?

Lol
Rf2 had most the features all ready inplace when 397 took over the title.
There is a big difference and alot of work involved adding new code from scratch to an old engine than adding or tweaking code to an already implemented system ;)

As for all the other stuff coming.....they have been previewing it for a while....try google or youtube!

I for one look forward to this feature!
Hopefully it will enhance the online racing and make arcade bashers realize the importance of protecting your vehicle throughout a race.

Don't really understand those complaining about the length of time it takes to implement?

I much rather prefer a preview of new upcoming features that are making it into the title, than the typical dev excuse....."the current engine doesn't support that feature, maybe will add it in AC2/PC2/RF2... bs"

Why is it a 10+ yr old engine continues to add moderen features, while other titles need to create a new game every 4 yrs?.....money, money, money!

I rather pay for new stuff than even more for old stuff..... Iracing has the biggest price and like u said a 10 + year old engine which make it even slower and slower to improve because its much harder to recode old engine. Where is the positiv here ? I don t get u

Where is the positiv here ?

Wait a yr or so to have a new feature added to a title at no additional charge or wait yrs for the next addition and pay $50+ for a new game just to have a new feature.....than wait a few yrs for the game mature as they sort out all the bugs.
That's a positive in my books...do you get me now? :)

Last edited:
I don t look at rf2 what happen from the start because isi was a noshow. But studio397 still made much more in the last 2 years than iracing if u don t count content.

Uhm...what happened in the last 2 years for rF2? Content, DX11, VR...and a bunch of bugfixes. And the contact patch thing. They didn't exactly add any impressive features. Oh yeah, a new UI...

Rain, the tyre model and physics...the dynamic driving line...it was all there from the beginning.

For iR, we have content, DX11, VR, a new UI...sounds familiar? They also had dirt though, in so far unmatched fashion. When did rF2 announce dirt again? Oh yeah, before it was even released. Still didn't see any of it. And as much as I like rF2, it still doesn't look great and rain still doesn't exactly feel right.

I really like both iR and rF2 a lot. rF2 has improved a bunch since S397 took over. But saying they did so much more than iR is just wrong...

I'm guessing he read some announcements, like the Formula Renault 3.5 :geek:

Haha...or the Honda, or BTCC... There's a difference between things they are actually working on and announcing licenses though.

I don't know about rain, but all the other stuff is being worked on because the devs post in the forums. They quite infrequently jump into a thread and announce things, which means tracking stuff down can be a mission.

I'd prefer a roadmap of sorts, but I understand their reasons for not being so open.

Rain was also hidden among staff posts.

dx11 and vr for iracing was more than 2 years ago. And why u bring up things from isi ? Studio 397 has nothing to do what isi had planed for rfactor 2. But that is just my opinion i think iracing are the loser the last 2 years and if they don t get a plan they will fall behind. If rf 2 keeps up and ACC will what alot of expect i will change from iracing to the others.

On a serious note, what iRacing needs to offer better racing is moar cars and moar tracks! The damage model is not the best or beautiful, but they already made do of it for ten years, what's another ten? While the rate of releasing cars and tracks is more or less like a racing game on it's dying state. Okay, that sounds like too much. What I mean is, they leave people rotting on one side because they want to cater to another totally different group. Felt like left to die really, the same old tracks on rotation, I can list them down in one go because there's really very few.

No, I'm serious, I'm not trying to offend iRacing fans here. I once was, but it seems like I am more leaning to generalized myself as a SIM racing fan now. No attachment to any title. I know new cars and tracks were released, but it seems iRacing wants it all. Or don't know what to do first. Oval, Road, Dirt, Rallycross... What's next? Seriously though, iRacing needs to complete all the Oval tracks they can scan, ALL Road tracks they can scan before even trying to do dirt or rallycross. I don't mind them keeping the old oak tree at VIR, I like it, but an oval track re-scanned and having two different contents one free one paid is beyond me. While clearly there are large holes somewhere that they just ignore, just to start a new wall, clean and dandy that will eventually have newer, bigger holes... I understand how it is to become a fan, but when you are being milked for others benefit, NOPE... I gotta stop.

iRacing permadeath mode soon (tm):
you die on a crash, your account gets deleted, you can't use the same credit card to create a new one, and names wont be able to have numbers like John Doe 3 any more, instead you'll have to go full roman like John Doe III or The Third or even kill the possibility of your son race in iRacing in the future with John Doe Jr.

oh, and no refunds.
Don't forget to add an option where it channels 50k volt onto you when you have a bad crash ;)

daily ingame on Steam. assetto corsa 2600-2900, project cars 1250-1500, rfactor 2 700-900, race room 500 and automobilista 120-200. And stop using the word fanboy we are not 12 years old...

don't forget to add Ps4 and Xbx1 users for PCars 2 and Assetto.
so, yes rF2 is dead since long time, a fan boy is blind what ever how old is he.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back