New guy, know physics, can't find cars

I just downloaded Racer 0.5.4 (see below) and I'm still adapting to the engine versus Gran Turismo 5 and other racing games I play. It looks like a small community but since I'm on a mid-grade Macbook I'm fairly limited as to what I can actually run successfully, but on the flip side my G27 will work (supposedly, still figuring that out and if not there's always that old DFP in the corner). I have most of the best off-the-shelf console simulators (minus Forza, hate Xbox) and I've become bored with their limitations on variety, mindless click-for-parts tuning menus, and lack of customization of the car itself. I wanted a large variety of cars and especially classics (loving those old Alfa Romeos I downloaded), I wanted complete control over the variables of the car itself, and I really wanted to drive unorthodox road cars on dirt/snow rally tracks! Not sure yet if Racer is exactly what I was looking for, either way it's pretty fun so far and the cross-platform add-on coding is an AMAZING feature!

After I've got a feel for this game I'm definitely going to be going deep into the physics part of these cars. I went to tech school for racecar design/technology and I've had a small bit of time playing with other vehicle simulators, my problem is I have ZERO skill of any kind with 3D modeling. I'd be interested in linking up with a modeler to maybe help on the physics side or even someone more adept with the physics to learn from.
IF ANYONE NEEDS ANY KIND OF ASSISTANCE WITH CLASSIC AMERICAN MUSCLE CARS I'd be 100% interested in helping, my family has been involved in hot rodding and mechanics as far back as Flatheads in the '50s (I could disassemble/rebuild a cylinder head before my first girlfriend). Sadly, the lack of reliably documented data on these old cars is so scarce that a developer is often stuck with little more than bogus factory power numbers and merely a best guess for everything else. Well most of those rare/collectible "dream cars" people seek to replicate in a game (often the ones with the least info) are often the ones I can help with the most. Instead of endless days of research that turns up nothing, I have things like true dyno charts (actually from the '60s/'70s, no ringers or tampering) for a '68 Corvette 427 L88 and a '70 Chevelle SS454 LS6 (among many others) or even real world driving time with quite of few of them (even owned a few myself).
My passion is for old Detroit V8 muscle (although I like pretty much any kind of car) and I've been lucky enough to work on and drive many cars that a lot of people will only ever experience in a game. I would love nothing more than to provide any expertise I may have in the development of modification of these cars so that the fans who love them can have the most realistic experience available.

Places to DL add-on cars?
I've pretty much hit www.tracciontrasera.es for everything they have, however I'm seeing cars that seem to no longer exist. On wwwracer-xtreme.com I'm unable to get even a single car to download, Safari claims the link doesn't exist and Firefox just spits a 553 error. Anyone have links for some of these "lost" cars like the '55 Chevy Bel Air hardtop, '72 Chevy Camaro, '69 Mustang Boss 429, '69 and '70 Mustang Boss 302, '67 Ferrari 312 (please!!!!!), '69 Opel GT-A L1900, it's just disheartening that a lot of cars I'd like to try out are floating around but I can't seem to find them! Any help would be much appreciated.

System specs:
Racer 0.5.4
Apple "Blackbook" laptop
Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard
2.4Ghz dual-core
2GB RAM
Intel GMA X3100 integrated video chip
It handles 0.5.4 with some crashing from the menu. With graphics set at high quality and no mirrors/shadows it returns a very consistent 50-75fps and never crashes during gameplay. I doubt this old pile of lard could run 0.8 through Wine without serious issues, if at all.

I have a decently upgraded (in the days of XP and Counterstrike Source haha) PC with a 3.2Ghz dual, RAM upgraded to 4GB (or could have been 8GB), and I dropped in a fairly high-end Nvidia GeForce 512MB card (5700 or 7500 maybe, before the days of the 8800) but it was hit by lightning jumped through a surge protector; I've never felt like replacing the disintegrated PSU and motherboard. My only other Windows XP rig has simply mind-blowing performance with a 1.5Ghz Pentium 4, 256MB RAM (expandable to 512MB!), and a seriously high-tech 64MB video card (ran SimCity2000 like lightning!). I just don't have the hardware to run a game on Windows at all.

Lol well you're getting somewhere, it's worth it in the end ;)

I got a 900-degree rotation to be functional, however it seems that the FFB is a set value on the Mac and is only adjustable by the car or track and not the control menu.

On the other hand, I've already done a ground-up ini rebuild on a couple cars. Nothing to it! Let's just say I was disappointed when there wasn't a Bugatti Type 57S floating around out there, so now I have one haha!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back