New GTL Install With Steam

My current GTL/Steam install has gotten so many glitches, likely due to numerous downloaded mods, that I want to remove it and do a clean installation. Steam won't let it happen as they say I've already got GTL. Any ideas gentlemen?

Copy the entire GT Legends folder to another place.
you can then delete everything in the folder and right click on the game in the steam list.
select properties and under local files select "Verify integrity of game files"
By the way no need to run GTL nor GTR2 in the steam folder.
You can copy the entire folders to another place/ disk and run it from there.
You will need to run the config.exe again but that is it.
None of those two games needs steam to work.
You can then use the installs in the steam folder as a 'clean' copie.

Have to reinstall GTL. I have the steam version. Thought I downloaded and saved almost everything for GTL.
Missing the file for Unlock Cars/Tracks. Just what is called and where might I download it from?

Checked the GTL forum here but many of the links are to NoGrip.

Last edited:
You make it yourself. Open the default Windows Notepad:
  • Right click anywhere inside the main folder of GT Legends, but not on a file.
  • Click on "New"
  • Create a Text Document
Leave the file blank, don't write in anything. Save the file, and rename it to TG2001.DYN
Any new player profile created after that will have all tracks & cars unlocked.

Answers to any questions can be found here:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/gtl-digtial-dl-all-cars-cheat.36093/

You make it yourself. Open the default Windows Notepad:
  • Right click anywhere inside the main folder of GT Legends, but not on a file.
  • Click on "New"
  • Create a Text Document
Leave the file blank, don't write in anything. Save the file, and rename it to TG2001.DYN
Any new player profile created after that will have all tracks & cars unlocked.

Answers to any questions can be found here:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/gtl-digtial-dl-all-cars-cheat.36093/

Thanks! Worked like a charm.
Is there a search function for the forums?

Is there a search function for the forums?
Untitled.jpg

Hi, been reading these threads. I am a complete beginner, never played a race sim - or used a computer game. Have just joined steam and this group for some classic car racing. I have bought GTL and GTR2 and installed in steam. I have downloaded the 10th Ann patch from here. How to I upgrade the version?

Thanks

hi, the first thing you need is to download and install 7zip archiver :
https://www.7-zip.org

Second important thing is to make a backup archive of both GTL and GTR2 clean install in c:\program files\Steam\Steamapps\

Now you will not use your main install (try to keep it clean without modification) from Steam but create GTL and GTR2 new games in c:\
Extract the archives backup you've just made directly in c:\GTL for GT Legends, and in c:\GTR2 for GTR2.
Now you can install the 10th Anniversary PATCH for each version : double click on 10th AP archive to open it, select ALL files and folders within the archive (you must see GameData folder in the list) then extract them directly either in c:\GTL or c:\GTR2, windows must ask you permission to overwrite files and folders, answer YES for ALL (might need to check box to apply to all other files).
Now you need to go in c:\GTL and c:\GTR2 to set compatibility : for every .EXE file extension you need to right click on executable, property tab, check ADMINISTRATOR rights + set WindowsXP compatibility.
Now you can create a desktop shortcut for both games and play :)
There are options in [OPTIONS] folder such as languages by example.

As you like 60s cars then you can also make a dedicated install for Power&Glory :
create a folder c:\PnG3
open with 7zip your GTR2 game backup archive you've made at the beginning, select ALL folders and files (GameData folder must be in the list) and extract them in c:\PnG3
Now download and install Power&Glory mod from here :
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/power-glory-for-gtr-2.21450/
Extract the mod somewhere on your hard disk, run executable and follow instructions.

Last edited:
Hi. Have done all the above and GTL and GTR2 seem to load fine in their new locations with the 10th Ann upgrades.

Not quite so successful with the PnG install. Did everything as per instructions, but final installation little window shows good progress til the very end. It ends with the following line:
#ERR: unable to open file ‘C:\Users\Roger\Documents\GTR2\CONFIG.INI’ for reading.

Must be something I have (or haven’t) done!

Any ideas?

You seem to have forgotten to set WinXP+Admin rights for EXE in \PnG3 folder so GTR2.EXE has created a new folder in "my documents". So delete this GTR2 folder in c:\Users\Roger\Documents\
and go into c:\PnG3 folder to set WinXP+Admin rights to ALL EXE files,
then it should work :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 162 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 305 27.7%