New GT3RS V2 wheel is now completely unusable

I have a GT3RS V2 wheel that I started using about a week ago (including the Clubsport pedals). I updated the firmware a few days ago with the 681 revision and followed the installation instructions, and the installation was successful on the first try.

The first problem after the firmware update was the apparently very common problem of the wheel losing its centering very quickly. It got so bad that when I used the wheel in GTR Evolution and GTR2, it would lose its centering in less than a minute after getting on track. I followed all calibration instructions many times but this did not help.

And yesterday, another serious problem started. After it goes through its power-on self calibration, if you turn the wheel at all it physically pulls itself back to the center. This happens immediately after powering the wheel up, without even loading any racing sim software. If you turn the power off the wheel seems to turn as it should.

I've uploaded a video showing this problem, here:

* http://www.flickr.com/photos/24899245@N07/5232312452/

I'm posting this problem here because I'm not sure how to even proceed. The wheel is obviously malfunctioning and needs to be returned and replaced.

I'm hoping that Brian, who is very helpful with Fanatec issues, can contact me here or via email at david_mack@charter.net as quickly as possible, it will be appreciated (I have also posted about this problem on the Porsche 911 Wheel Fan Club forums to see if Fanatec support replies). The wheel is completely unusable at this point.

Thanks for the info, ReDi. I tried your suggestions and that made a big difference.

However, after some soul-searching I've decided that I'm going to sell the wheel and go back to my old Thomas Superwheel. I've tried both the Logitech G27 and now the GT3RS V2, and have pretty much decided that I prefer the TSW over an FFB wheel.

If anyone is interested, the info about selling the wheel is here in the "For Sale / swaps" thread.

Thanks to everyone who helped out with troubleshooting the first wheel, especially ReDi and Brian. Your assistance was greatly appreciated!
Well I'm happy we were able to solve your issues, but there's no arguing about personal taste :)

Happy racing!

Cheers,
redi

Upvote 0
Oh, joy...I guess I won't be selling the wheel after all. I'll be sending this thing back to Fanatec for a refund, and it better be arranged quickly.

For those of you who don't read the "For sale / swaps" thread, here's the link with more details:

* http://www.racedepartment.com/sim-racing-hardware/37995-for-sale-swaps-8.html#post710326

Or, I could just save you the trouble and post it here, too. Needless to say, this is without a doubt the last thing I ever order from Fanatec, after two defective wheels.

Well, guess what. I just now was making sure that everything was working on the GT3RS V2 wheel before boxing it up...and it's dead. No power-up, no self-calibration, nothing. Just a 13-pound chunk of plastic and metal. Checked all power connections, used different power outlets, made sure the power button was pressed in...and nothing.

I swear, I don't know what it is about Fanatec and their lousy reliability. I'll be contacting them on Monday to arrange for a refund. This will be the last product I order from them. I guess, when they work they're good...when they work, that is.
Needless to say, I'm pretty p***ed off. I sure as hell will not be recommending Fanatec to anyone. ReDi, I'd suggest that this should be relayed to Thomas, as another very dissatisfied customer experience. imo, it's in Fanatec's and Thomas' best interest to drop all their plans for new products and instead get the damn quality problems worked out.

Upvote 0
Wow, that sucks big time. I cannot blame you for feeling bad about Fanatec based on your experiences. I'll make sure you'll get your refund quickly.

Upvote 0
Thanks in advance, ReDi. I'll get back to you next week after I submit the refund info. Once again, I really appreciate that you monitor the forums and reply with good advice.

Just an fyi...I do love the Clubsport Pedals that came with the first wheel. They're definitely as good as I hoped they'd be. If anyone wants info on them, I'd be glad to give them a good review.

Upvote 0
Thanks in advance, ReDi. I'll get back to you next week after I submit the refund info. Once again, I really appreciate that you monitor the forums and reply with good advice.

Just an fyi...I do love the Clubsport Pedals that came with the first wheel. They're definitely as good as I hoped they'd be. If anyone wants info on them, I'd be glad to give them a good review.
Well it's not that Fanatec is a bad company or that they make bad products, far from it, but there's something they need to get sorted quickly about the QC of Fanatec's supplier(s)...

Upvote 0
Well it's not that Fanatec is a bad company or that they make bad products, far from it, but there's something they need to get sorted quickly about the QC of Fanatec's supplier(s)...

they should have every product checked and past by quality control theres just to many people getting faulty products out of the box, both my self and a freind had Turbo S wheels with very noisy fans right from new, we have both recived new fans that are totaly silent. if they had propper quality control then these units shouldnt have even left the factory.

Upvote 0
I think Thomas has been hit by the browner end of a very long stick by the Asian suppliers.

The products they sent him to secure the deal were probably faultless to the degree they were far superior to anything they could ever make again.
It seems like Thomas has taken the word of the supplier that every wheel will be like that and had never checked a single one after that.

If i were him, i`d be sourcing other manufacturers and say to the current ones, that if they didnt sort their act out and have a faulty rate of a 'very low percentage' i will be taking my business elsewhere.

Hope he gets this sorted quickly for his own sake. It seems if it continues like this, it could well put him out of busniess.

Upvote 0
Kris, I have to agree that it would be a shame if Thomas isn't able to sort this out. It's always seemed to me there's a lot of effort that gone into the product design, but if it can't be manufactured in a way that puts quality first then the good design work is for naught.

It's fair to say that sim racers really appreciate quality and reliability more than the typical gamer, so Fanatec/Thomas needs to put that at a premium. As I've said in different posts, if I were Thomas I'd spend the company's energy on fixing their quality issues before working on/introducing new products. It may not be as much fun but if they want to keep going it's got to be done.

Upvote 0
Sounds like they need a bit of 'Soak Testing' before they leave the factory... but in the far east thats probably not going to happen due to the cost price they sell the stuff at or something.
The measure of a company is not how it is when all is well, its how they react when its not.
I would imagine that Thomas is loosing alot of sleep over this...
In my experiance, bad product is like a knife through your heart, and it only gets worse with each complaint, till, you dont want to open that email any more....
Good luck Thomas, deal with each issue one at a time and none of them will be as bad as you are expecting them to be. ; )
Best regards
George

Upvote 0
News on this front:
David Mack said:
Well, guess what. I just now was making sure that everything was working on the GT3RS V2 wheel before boxing it up...and it's dead. No power-up, no self-calibration, nothing. Just a 13-pound chunk of plastic and metal. Checked all power connections, used different power outlets, made sure the power button was pressed in...and nothing.
Just for fun, I plugged in the wheel into the same outlet I always do...and it powered right up and seems to be working fine. Go figure. I wonder if there's something loose inside, or what.

Has anyone else had similar intermittent behavior like this? :confused:

So, I'll keep using it and will keep an eye out for any other ghosts in the machine.

Upvote 0
Have you had anything else plugged into that outlet? Is there a possibility that the outlet is the issue and not the wheel? If you are sure it is the wheel, take a look at the power connector and see if there is any movement when pushing on it with something like a toothpick. This would definitely show if there is something loose there. There is also a possibility that the transformer in the power adapter is a little flakey.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 231 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 161 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years