New Gordon Murray Designed Supercar Costs Over £2m...

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Gordon Murray T50 Supercar.png

Gordon Murray, the man behind many a successful F1 car and the mighty McLaren F1 supercar has been busy... announcing his innovative super lightweight T.50..

Believe it or not it was over 25 years since the mighty Murray designed McLaren F1 broke cover to the world media - at the time the most innovative supercar to grace the roads, showcasing a design philosophy that pretty much defined the world of performance supercars for the next decade.

Having since branched out into many different forms of design, Murray is back once again with a follow-up to that outstanding machine - announcing the super limited edition T.50 that Murray claims will be "the purest, lightest, most driver-focused supercar ever". A pretty big claim, but not one without substance it seems.

Professor Gordon Murray CBE, Chairman of Gordon Murray Group, said:

"An unflinching dedication to lightweighting, highly-advanced active aerodynamics and world-leading standards of advanced engineering will ensure the T.50 rewrites the supercar rulebook. Our experienced team is applying the same uncompromising approach to design and engineering that shaped every facet of the F1, and they are able to deliver substantial improvements over that car in every meaningful way".
Clearly using the original F1 as a design base for the new T.50 model, Murray and his team at Gordon Murray Design have basically looked at every aspect of the original car and improved up it to such a degree that the new machine is set to be a full 1/3 lighter than the average supercar, something that Murray believes is a key ingredient towards making the ultimate drivers experience behind the wheel.

The T.50 breaks from performance-car convention, just as the F1 did in 1992. It weighs significantly less than any other current supercar. It has the most advanced aerodynamics of any road car, and it relies on design and engineering excellence to deliver the purest, most driver-focused performance and dynamics of any road car since the F1.

It will be powered by a compact and light, naturally-aspirated, all-new V12 engine. The unit will be capable of an extraordinary 12,100rpm,, unparalleled in a V12 road car, and 650hp to deliver unmatched power-to-weight.

Despite these impressive figures, Murray isn't interested in producing the fastest road car in the world, with the focus of the team firmly behind creating an immersive and exciting driving experience.

"I have absolutely no interest in chasing records for top speed or acceleration. Our focus is instead on delivering the purest, most rewarding driving experience of any supercar ever built, but, rest assured, it will be quick" added Murray.​

Sticking with the three-seat central driving position format of the original F1, the new car will still be familiar to cognisors of supercar history. Designed and built in the UK, and sourcing all components from UK based companies, this is certainly a testament to what the British motorcar industry is capable of - the home of many modern Formula One teams.

Key Features:
  • Designed to the same exacting engineering standards as the driver-focused McLaren F1; improves upon its iconic predecessor in every way
  • Mid-engine and rear-wheel-drive layout; famed central driving position and
  • H-pattern gearbox all key to a matchless experience behind the wheel
  • All-new V12 to be the highest-revving engine ever used in a production car; produces unrivalled power-to-weight
  • 'Fan car'™ technology delivers the most advanced aerodynamics yet seen on a road car
  • Unique carbon fibre tub and a focus on minimising the weight of every component underpin lightweighting'™ strategy - overall weight is just 980kg
  • New model will set new standards for supercar packaging, providing driver and two passengers with exceptional comfort, safety, practicality and luggage space
  • Only 100 exclusive models to be produced costing in excess of £2m (before taxes); deliveries from early 2022.

Technical specifications

General
  • Body type Two doors, three seats, Grand Tourer Supercar
  • Engine Cosworth-GMA 3.9l 65° V12 N/A twin-cam
  • Weight 980kg
  • Length 4,380mm
  • Width 1,850mm
Motor and transmission
  • Type Naturally aspirated V12
  • Displacement 3,980cc
  • Layout Rear mid-engine
  • Maximum power 650hp
  • Maximum torque 450Nm
  • Valves Four valves per cylinder
  • Fuel system Petrol pfi aluminium fuel tank
  • Maximum engine revs 12,100rpm
  • Engine details / overview Dry sump lubrication
  • Variable valve timing
  • Highest-revving road car engine (no flywheel / lightweight clutch)
  • Structural chassis member
  • Ram-air induction system
  • Cutting-edge materials and coatings
  • All light alloy (including magnesium and titanium)
  • Transmission Bespoke lightweight six-speed transmission
  • Light alloy casing
  • Limited-slip differential
  • Lightweight clutch
  • Gun-drilled drive shafts
  • Chassis and body
  • Drive type Rear-wheel drive
  • Chassis Primary structure handmade sandwich-panel carbon monocoque, including semi-structural powertrain utilising high-modulus adhesive
  • Body Carbon composite panels
  • Occupant architecture Central driving position – three seats
Suspension and brakes
  • Front suspension Rod / operated rising rate; double wishbone; anti-roll bar
  • Rear suspension Rod / operated rising rate; double wishbone – inclined shear axis; powertrain mass damper
  • Brakes Carbon-ceramic discs
  • Aluminium floating disc bells
  • Monobloc light alloy calipers
  • Low boost assist / ABS
Steering
  • LSPA rack and pinion
Wheels
  • Forged light alloy
Aerodynamics
  • Active ground-effect with full-width diffuser and fan-assisted underbody airflow – brake balance foil
T.50 - Iconic Designs.png

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
I fear it will encounter some road-safety issue: IIRC one of the reasons the fan system was abolished from racing is that it used to collect dirt and small stones from the grount and "shoot" them to following cars.
Hope they've taken this into account and somehow managed to reduce the problem otherwise it might become impossible to omologate in some countries.

Having seen both the F1 and Jaguar XJ220 go from road car to race car I'm glad Gordon Murray is creating this piece of loveliness.

It will be an amazing machine for sure. A designer after most of our hearts, no V6 turbos, no hybrids. Just a good old fashioned screaming V12, I'm in love with the thing already! lol :)

- not interested in chasing records but more about the soul and passion of the driving experience, the overall "feel" and character of the car
- n/a high-revving V12
- the car design does not have ridiculous scoops, lines, and ugly humongous wings and pistons sticking out of the car (eg. Mclaren P1, Porsche 918) but is geared towards lines & beauty (even if it's maybe at the cost of pure downforce like the LaFerrari VS Mac P1)

Gordon Murrary would fit right home at Ferrari. We can only dream.

I'm guessing Cosworth is making a smaller version of Valkyrie's V12 for this car, given the all British parts sourcing comment I cannot think of any other candidates. Half the displacement and half the power, the bigger motor revs to 11.5k so similar-ish rev range.

I'm guessing Cosworth is making a smaller version of Valkyrie's V12 for this car, given the all British parts sourcing comment I cannot think of any other candidates. Half the displacement and half the power, the bigger motor revs to 11.5k so similar-ish rev range.

Oh that would be lovely :)

980kg! 980kg!

I fear it will encounter some road-safety issue: IIRC one of the reasons the fan system was abolished from racing is that it used to collect dirt and small stones from the grount and "shoot" them to following cars.
Hope they've taken this into account and somehow managed to reduce the problem otherwise it might become impossible to omologate in some countries.

I think that stone story is very much over exxagerated. After all the the main people who complained about the shooting stones issues were the lotus drivers at the time. The brabham looked to be a very dominant car which would steal the championship from lotus if the car were let to continue racing. The main issue with the car was the unlimited development potential which could create massive cornering speeds which is why it was banned. In the end it was political reasons that ended the car. Also any car that generates downforce tends to pick up stuff from the road surface. Be that diffusers, tunnels or fans.

- the car design does not have ridiculous scoops, lines, and ugly humongous wings and pistons sticking out of the car (eg. Mclaren P1, Porsche 918) but is geared towards lines & beauty (even if it's maybe at the cost of pure downforce like the LaFerrari VS Mac P1)

Actually I've always liked the P1, the Senna is the McLaren car that seems to divide people the most. To me the Senna is purposeful and aggressive in it's design (winglets, scoops, large spoilers, etc.) but I wouldn't call it attractive or a pretty supercar. Whereas the P1 is more sculpted and graceful. To me anyway :)

Haven't given a single f00k about any supercar in many, many years, and this one was no exception.

Until I got to the line about a gated shifter.

Now I'm excited.

• Deleted member 503495

Very, very promising coming from him. His Brabham was ingenious, his McLaren F1 is ageless, and this new machine looks to be a fantastic evolution. My hope is the front will not be split (think LMP1) like some current supercars as for the flow from the side, it looks gorgeous.

The McLaren F1 had the design nailed. There is no need for a revolution in the lines and this car should prove it.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 379 39.6%